Clean out and clean up

[quote]

Clean out and clean up

GEOFF HOBSON

Posted 46 minutes ago

* a
* a

Sights and sounds from Sunday’s clean-out day at Paul Brown Stadium following Saturday night’s 24-14 Wild Card loss to the Jets:

Even though there were more off-season questions than garbage bags, the team leaders pronounced the club going in the right direction.

“We had a bad December. I think we did tend to slide, but we won those games. We’re a legit good team,” said safety Chris Crocker of the 10-6 finish. “We just didn’t finish it off…I think we’ve got a good core of guys. This is a start. Next year we’ve got business to finish. If we have the guys we have now get back healthy, I don’t know if we need much to be honest with you. We need more time yesterday and time ran out.”

Crocker (ankle), by the way, is joining quarterback Carson Palmer on the table for some minor surgery. Palmer (thumb) and Crocker should be ready when the team re-convenes March 29 for off-season workouts…

One of the Bengals’ two 10-year players, right guard Bobbie Williams, is convinced the young offensive line is on the right track. After all, it was good enough to generate 171 yards rushing against the NFL’s No. 1 defense Saturday.

“It’s awesome the way we came together as a group,” Williams said. “The way we swept the division and looking at the teams in the division I think we’re going the right way. It’s something to build on.” …

You have to figure they want to keep building with Williams. He’s a free agent and turns 34 in September, but he’s also one of the team leaders.

“We’ve had our exit physicals, but I still consider myself a Bengal. Consider myself a Bengal,” said Williams, holding a bag of jerseys from his teammates. “I’ve got (Kyle) Cook; I’ve got Andre (Smith). I’ve got Carson. I’m going to hang them in my basement. Absolutely I want to be back. I think I’m a good guy to have around…

Left tackle Andrew Whitworth is going to have a busy offseason as the Bengals’ NFL Players Association representative with the union trying to reach a collective bargaining agreement with the NFL. Whitworth is hopeful for a deal before the potential 2011 lockout, but he says not in time to prevent 2010 from being a year without a salary cap.

An uncapped year means that a player must be heading into his sixth year of service and fifth year for free agency. That would make such players as linebackers Rashad Jeanty and Brandon Johnson restricted free agents for the second straight year, and defensive end Frostee Rucker would be a restricted free agent for the first time.

They’ll have a decision to make with another team leader. Tight end Reggie Kelly, who suffered a season-ending ruptured Achilles in training camp, is a free agent who turns 32 next month. Other key free agents are kicker Shayne Graham, safety Roy Williams and defensive tackle Tank Johnson…Running back Larry Johnson, inactive Saturday, isn’t expected to be re-signed…

But for the first time in recent memory, the most important free agent may be a coach. Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, who has changed the culture of the unit and taken it from 27th to fourth in his two seasons, told his players Sunday that his situation is up in the air. Brandon Johnson started the lobbying after the game.

“Man, I would love to keep everyone in this locker room. I really, really would,” Johnson said. But it’s the nature of the beast in the NFL that people don’t stay for long. That’s why you have to make it happen when you’ve got a chance. I really want (Zimmer) back. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that. Zim’s a good coach – a great coach. He really changed the mentality of this team, and really changed the way we play ball. If we can all come back, we’re going to be hell on somebody’s hands come 2010.”

On Sunday, defensive tackle Domata Peko took a turn.

“We need him,” Peko said. “Getting a defense that no one really knows about and putting us in the top 10 and fourth overall….Give him some money. I don’t want to start over again…It (stinks) starting over. Jumpy (Geathers) was talking about that. This would be like his (fourth) D-coordinator. I hope we keep him. He (told Peko Sunday) it’s all up in the air. It’s a business deal. He said he wants to stay. The main reason he would be staying if he does stay is he loves us and for the coaches, too.” ...

Peko and his fellow Samoans, SAM linebacker Ray Maualuga and defensive tackle Jon Fanene, are headed to America Samoa next month to give the governor their check for nearly $50,000 they raised in Cincinnati for relief efforts for areas hit hard by last September’s killer storm. They’re also going to hold a football camp for children with equipment and shoes they’ll donate.”

[/quote]

Unless he becomes a head coach, Mike B has to pony up and pay Zimmer. I fear if we lose him due to money, the players will start off with a negative attitude and question the organization's desire to win. I think the fans will feel the same way----I will.

[quote name='Jungle1' date='10 January 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1263162272' post='855619']
Unless he becomes a head coach, Mike B has to pony up and pay Zimmer. I fear if we lose him due to money, the players will start off with a negative attitude and question the organization's desire to win. I think the fans will feel the same way----I will.
[/quote]

zimmer isnt the jesus christ of defensive football.

he was let go from 2 other teams, if he leaves, teh world didnt come crashing down, but they need to step up and get another quality leader on that side of the ball, there is a ton of good young talent to be developed there..

if zimmer left and we promoted Fitzgerald i wouldnt be pissed...

id like to keep zimmer, however, shit happens.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 January 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1263162430' post='855620']

he was let go from 2 other teams, if he leaves, teh world didnt come crashing down, but they need to step up and get another quality leader on that side of the ball, there is a ton of good young talent to be developed there..

[/quote]

I never said he was. But, he has done a great job for our team. I think he has earned a raise and it sounds like he is more than willing to stay. If we lose him simply because the Bengals low ball him, that will suck.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 January 2010 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1263162430' post='855620']

[/quote]

I put a lot of weight into what Peko and Geathers said about getting a new system. If they say it sucks, then stick with the guy who at least produced a great product. Starting over again with an unknown doesn't sound to great to the players or to me.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 January 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1263162430' post='855620']

[/quote]

well seeing as how he has resurrected both this D and the Dallas D from bad Ds to top 10 Ds, the analogy isnt a bad one.

[/quote]

if he leaves, Fitzgerald makes a lot of sense. He's a guy who's paid his dues, players seem to play hard for him, he'd be cheap (always a consideration), and I'd guess he'd run zimmer's defense (with a few wrinkles). I just hope he has the stuff to make the next step. :)

[quote name='Jungle1' date='10 January 2010 - 05:41 PM' timestamp='1263163276' post='855624']
I never said he was. But, he has done a great job for our team. I think he has earned a raise and it sounds like he is more than willing to stay. If we lose him simply because the Bengals low ball him, that will suck.
[/quote]

i wasnt trying to be accusing with that comment, so my apologies if it came across that way.. i also agree he earned a raise, and im 100% confident that he was offered one, i dont know the guy, so i dont know how he values himself, from his earlier comments sounds like he feels he is a head coach in a DC's body, which MAY lead him to believe he is worth far far more.. i dont know how much the redskins are going to offer, but i can assure you he is going to go find out. i mean that psychopath could offer him a mil a year..

[quote name='sois' date='10 January 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1263163406' post='855626']
I put a lot of weight into what Peko and Geathers said about getting a new system. If they say it sucks, then stick with the guy who at least produced a great product. Starting over again with an unknown doesn't sound to great to the players or to me.
[/quote]

i am in no way questioning the guy being a badass motherfucker.. he is.. he has done an incredible job here..

promoting Fitzgerald wouldnt be an unknown however, he has been here and been a part of this system, not to mention the brilliant defenses he has been a large part of for the last decade..

i hope we lock zimmer in with a 4 year deal... but without knowing his personality or wishes for himself, i cant say how likely it is.... i know who will be blamed if he leaves, rightfully so or not..

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 January 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1263165194' post='855648']
no thanks.
[/quote]

x2

My only issue recently with Lewis has been some game management issues and challenges. But, I am assuming the challenge calls are coming from the booth---so it may not be his fault.

[quote name='Jungle1' date='10 January 2010 - 03:17 PM' timestamp='1263165448' post='855650']
x2

My only issue recently with Lewis has been some game management issues and challenges. But, [b]I am assuming the challenge calls are coming from the booth[/b]---so it may not be his fault.
[/quote]

Whomever that is needs canned.

I'm still trying to figure out WTF they were thinking (seeing) on that second challenge. How could they miss the little rubber balls flying up in the air as the guy dragged his foot?

Willing to bet that we have the only replay\booth guy that does the reviews in braille...

[b][size="5"]Bengals disperse amid talk of changes in coaching staff[/size][/b]
By Joe Reedy • [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy@enquirer.com[/email] • January 10, 2010

Players exchanged numbers, most of them carried their jerseys out and all of them talked about their plans for the next two months. All of the Bengals did agree on one thing -- the offseason started earlier than they imagined.

Following Saturday's 24-14 loss to the Jets in an AFC wild-card game, the Bengals reflected on coming up short while also planning on what to do until they come back for offseason conditioning in late March.

"I don't think we're thinking about next season at all," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "We didn't expect to be in the situation that we are in right now. It's going to take some time to get past it from the expectations that we had for ourselves and the way things worked out."

Palmer will undergo surgery on his left thumb this week. One person who will not have to have surgery is linebacker Rashad Jeanty, who fractured his left fibula in the loss to the Jets. The injury is described as being similar to the injury fellow outside linebacker Rey Maualuga suffered two weeks ago.

One of the more immediate matters will be if there are any changes on Marvin Lewis' coaching staff. The only departure at the moment is assistant offensive line coach Bob Surace, who will become the head coach at Princeton, but the key figure everyone is wondering about is defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer's, whose contract is up.

The Bengals are expected to begin negotiations on an extension with Zimmer this week.

"It's all up in the air. It's a business deal," defensive tackle Domata Peko said. "He said he wants to stay. I hope they keep him here. He's a great coach and did a lot of great thing taking a defense no one knew a lot about and putting us in the Top 10."

Lewis, who will have his season-ending news conference today, is also entering the last year of his deal.

Peko, along with Maualuga and Jonathan Fanene, will visit Samoa in March to present nearly $50,000 in donations from local fund-raising efforts after a tsunami hit the area. They will also conduct a football camp.

Offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth is also in store for a couple busy months. He is the player's rep for the NFLPA and will be heading to Washington for meetings later this month. While both sides continue talking about a new collective bargaining agreement, it appears more likely that next season will be an uncapped year.

The one thing Whitworth did note is that a lot more players realize what an uncapped year would mean, especially players with five and six years experience who remain restricted free agents instead of unrestricted.

"I think things are getting a little more amped. You can tell both sides are talking more," Whitworth said. "You never know until that last month. Sometimes when it gets to the last minute there's more of an urgency to getting a deal done."

While the Bengals did win their second AFC North title in five seasons, there is more of a feeling of underachievement. After starting 7-2, the Bengals won only three of their final eight games and dropped four of their last five.

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100110/SPT02/301100016/1066/Bengals+disperse+amid+talk+of+changes+in+coaching+staff"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100110/SPT02/301100016/1066/Bengals+disperse+amid+talk+of+changes+in+coaching+staff[/url]

If zimmer gets a Head coaching offer he's gone and should be. Other than that, I expect him back. Some of you think Mike lowballed him the first time, and Zimmer didn't appreciate it. I think that in the middle of the season, 3 to 4 weeks after he lost his wife, he wasn't sure if he was going to want to be here another year or two. Bad Memories can do that to you. I think Mike is going to make him an offer that makes him a top ten DC or even a top 5 by income. We'll see this week.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='11 January 2010 - 07:03 AM' timestamp='1263164628' post='855638']
that psychopath could offer him a mil a year..
[/quote]

I'd give it to him in a heartbeat. IIRC, Kiffin used to earn about $1.4M/yr when he was DC of the Bucs. Given what Zim's done for this D in two seasons, $1M/yr doesn't seem too far-fetched to me.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='10 January 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1263162430' post='855620']

[/quote]

Thank god you don't run the team.

[quote name='Harley' date='10 January 2010 - 11:07 PM' timestamp='1263182877' post='855824']
Thank god you don't run the team.
[/quote]
We need to keep Zimmer plain and simple for continuity and he is a kick ass DC..Why is the Steelers D always good because they have a good DC Labeau who has been with them for a while. That's why the Jets O Line is starting to gel..continuity. Our O Line will do the same especially with Andre having a whole training camp next year. He was the best player in the SEC last season at Bama..he will be good for us..

[/quote]

Actually I believe the jesus christ of defensive football is Bratkowski. I am not really here to stir up that argument, but I do find it interesting that you take a "Meh" attitude with a DC that has gotten proven results with the talent he was given yet feel like we need to keep an OC that has arguably gotten lesser results with his talent. Don't get me wrong, coaches leaving for greener pastures is part of the game and getting worked up about it does no good, but you have always gotten worked up about keeping Bratkowski around and with Zimmer seem apathetic at best. You seem to just take the contrary point of view but please don't stop though as I do need a chuckle now and then.

Archived