Marvin on missed FGs: "It killed us"

[size="5"][b]Marvin on missed FGs: "It killed us"[/b]
[/size]
[b]Bengals notebook[/b]
By Jeff Wallner • Enquirer contributor • January 9, 2010

Saturday afternoon was uncharacteristically bad for Bengals kicker Shayne Graham who missed field goal attempts of 35 and 28 yards in the second half.

"It is a shame, and it killed us," said Lewis. "Unfortunately kicking is mostly a one-man operation. I know Shayne feels worse about it than anyone. Those points obviously make a big difference."

The usually accessible Graham exited the Bengals locker room following Saturday's game without addressing the media.

Graham, the most accurate field goal kicker in Bengals history with an 86.8 success rate, had missed just once this season from 20-29 yards and only twice from 30-39 yards.

Graham received the team's franchise tag in February, getting $2.483 million, the average salary of the top five kickers in the NFL from the previous season.

Afterward receiving the tag, Graham said in a statement: "I appreciate the Bengals' recognition of my value to the team. I would have preferred to enter a long-term market value contract, either with the Bengals or through free agency.

"I will be committed to helping the Bengals win football games in the 2009 season. I truly appreciate the support of my teammates and the great fans of Cincinnati."

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100109/SPT02/301090050/1066/Marvin+on+missed+FGs+++It+killed+us"]http://news.cincinna...+++It+killed+us[/url]+

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='10 January 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1263168025' post='855682']
Not only that, Shayne wants a contract from someone. Those misses hurt his future bad.
[/quote]

In-season injury replacement minimum contract bad...

[quote name='Jeff Blake' date='11 January 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1263175573' post='855766']
Out of all the mistakes in the game the 2 missed field goals were death blows. 6 points off the board plus momentum swings are huge in a 24-14 game. I wish Shayne well wherever he lands but his days as a Bengal are thankfully over.
[/quote]

The look on Marvin's face when he missed that second one is fucking priceless. He was like "What the fuck?!?"
MULLY

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/01/10/the-end-for-graham/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/01/10/the-end-for-graham/[/url]

[quote][b]The end for Graham[/b]?

Posted by jreedy January 10th, 2010, 10:12 pm
One of the popular questions on Twitter over the past 24 hours is if I think Shayne Graham has had his last kick with the Bengals? Being as though he is now an unrestricted free agent, it appears very likely.

Graham missed two field goals in Saturday’s 24-14 AFC Wild Card loss to the Jets. That put him at 23 of 30 for the year. Graham quickly left the locker room after the game and also ducked out a side entrance on Sunday instead of answering questions.

There have been four times this year when Graham has been accessible — in May when he came back to town and wanted to talk about being franchise tagged (he made $2.483 million this season), in August when he was injured, when he kicked the game-winning field goal at Cleveland (his first in four years) and when long snapper Brad St. Louis was hanging by a thread.

Graham was also accessible on July 15, the deadline day for players who received the franchise tag to agree to new contracts. However it was to talk about one of his foundation events and he became exasperated and didn’t comment on the lack of a new deal. He did though rip the organization three days later on Facebook which was reported by Bleacher Report’s John Breech.

Stats wise — Graham’s accuracy rate was high but he had as many notable game-winning misses (Pittsburgh in 2006 and Philadelphia in 2008) as makes. He will go down with four game winners, but until Cleveland in Week 4 this year his last one was against the Browns in December of 2005. His eight kickoffs for touchbacks were tied for 17th in the league. He’s also been injury prone the last three seasons. As special teams coach Darrin Simmons said during the preseason after Graham injured his groin at New England: “This isn’t the first time we’ve gone through this with Shayne.”

Graham has been a great spokesman for the Freestore Foodbank and Kicks for Kids, but his lack of accountability over the weekend and at points during the season have left a lot of people disappointed. If Saturday was Graham’s last game as a Bengal, it was a terrible way to go out on and off the field. It wasn’t golden.[/quote]

I'm not so sure he's gone either. He's going to be a free agent. What team would sign him to more than a league minimum contract? I'd be happy if the Bengals brought him back next year for cheap. One, it prevents us from having to use a draft pick on a kicker, and two, we know what we have in him--a usually accurate kicker who sucks in the clutch and at kickoffs. At least he'll make the usual ones.

[quote name='SlantNGo' date='10 January 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1263181316' post='855809']
I'm not so sure he's gone either. He's going to be a free agent. What team would sign him to more than a league minimum contract? I'd be happy if the Bengals brought him back next year for cheap. One, it prevents us from having to use a draft pick on a kicker, and two, we know what we have in him--a usually accurate kicker who sucks in the clutch and at kickoffs. At least he'll make the usual ones.
[/quote]

I'd like him back, but reading Sis's comments make me think that he is outta here. Maybe reading too much into her comments.

[quote name='SlantNGo' date='10 January 2010 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1263181316' post='855809']
[/quote]

It's not about money. Graham now represents a failure of the past. For the team and the fans, we need to move on without him. Getting him because he's cheap and that he'll make the usual ones sounds like soP. i'd like to think we've begun to turn the corner.

[quote name='SlantNGo' date='10 January 2010 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1263181316' post='855809']
I'm not so sure he's gone either. He's going to be a free agent. What team would sign him to more than a league minimum contract? [b]I'd be happy if the Bengals brought him back next year for cheap. One, it prevents us from having to use a draft pick on a kicker, and two, we know what we have in him--a usually accurate kicker who sucks in the clutch and at kickoffs. At least he'll make the usual ones.[/b]
[/quote]
If that is true (and its up for debate as of now), I wouldn't be happy with resigning him at all at any price when we can quite possibly get a kicker for the same money or less that may not be as "Automatica" on the usual 30-yarders but hangs tough mentally in the clutch.

I've always argued against Shayne not being a clutch kicker in the past given his otherwise stellar FG percentage (and the circumstances surrounding his previously missed so-called "clutch" kicks), but now I don't think I'll take up that banner for him anyomore.

[quote name='Fulcher_33' date='10 January 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1263176524' post='855772']
The look on Marvin's face when he missed that second one is fucking priceless. He was like "What the fuck?!?"
MULLY
[/quote]

Yea, I'll never forget that look. He looked dumbfounded. He looked scared the whole game if you ask me. Can't have that from the man in charge. I'd like to see him rip someones head off when they pull some shit like that.

[quote name='B.A.B.' date='10 January 2010 - 10:52 PM' timestamp='1263181954' post='855816']
I don't care if he's cheap. He's proven that he can't make the kicks when we really need him to. Drop him. Get someone better. Considering his stats this year, it wouldn't be that hard to do.
[/quote]

Exactly. Been saying this for awhile and no one listened.

[quote name='BreadGuy' date='11 January 2010 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1263186209' post='855865']
Exactly. Been saying this for awhile and no one listened.
[/quote]
Its not like getting a decent kicker should be TOO hard. I trust Simmons to coach the next guy up.

i hate quotes like that.

Every turnover "killed us"...

Not having a challenge flag after the second qtr killed us (I think we had a legitimate challenge we could have won on one of our catches if we could have.

Blowing timeouts, fumbling, throwing high over the receivers over and over (honestly, I blame the high toss for Coles fumble. He was outstretched, and couldn't bring it in before getting hit.)

Penalties...penalties

Drops? Maybe a couple legitimate ones, but many were possibly catchable but badly thrown balls.

Playcalling?

Defensive meltdowns?...eh..they only scored 24..more than us, but not a score that I'm surprised to see in the playoffs.

The missed kicks...put a nail in it definitely. But they didn't cause the death.

I hate seeing any player thrown under the bus when I think coaching is as big a part of loss. And I have rarely heard the coaches take any blame.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1263187953' post='855892']
i hate quotes like that.

Not having a challenge flag after the second qtr killed us (I think we had a legitimate challenge we could have won on one of our catches if we could have.

Blowing timeouts, fumbling, throwing high over the receivers over and over (honestly, I blame the high toss for Coles fumble. He was outstretched, and couldn't bring it in before getting hit.)

Penalties...penalties

Drops? Maybe a couple legitimate ones, but many were possibly catchable but badly thrown balls.

Playcalling?

Defensive meltdowns?...eh..they only scored 24..more than us, but not a score that I'm surprised to see in the playoffs.

The missed kicks...put a nail in it definitely. But they didn't cause the death.

I hate seeing any player thrown under the bus when I think coaching is as big a part of loss. And I have rarely heard the coaches take any blame.
[/quote]

I'm not going to be a jerk about it, to be honest I feel really bad for you because you don't deserve to put up with all the bashing that is going on. That being said, those field goals hurt severely, because the 2nd time he tried to kick the FG, they wouldve been able to go for 7 to tie the game had he made the 1st one. Not to mention the momentum factor that went along with them. I'm not going to say that Carson had a good game, but he was facing the #1 defense in the league with Revis on Ocho, and not real great receivers in coles/caldwell to throw to. He didn't play well, but at the same time he's had many games like this all year, and when they really needed him at the end of games he was as clutch as anyone could be, and there is no reason to think he wouldn't have been if Graham had made those chip shots. The reason everyone is blaming it on one guy is because those misses were inexcusable. He wasn't facing the #1 defense like palmer, it was just kicking the ball through the uprights, just like he does every other game, when the playoffs aren't on the line. Those were field goals that shouldn't be missed in college, let alone the NFL playoffs. Thats why everyone is basically pointing the finger. Others could've done better, but those misses were just terrible, and inexcusable. That being said I'm sorry that you have to hear all the stuff that everyone says/types, you didn't do anything to deserve that, and i'm sure it hurts.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1263187953' post='855892']
i hate quotes like that.

Penalties...penalties

Playcalling?

[/quote]

I wouldn't say they "killed us", but it was the death nail.

But as you mention, and I mentioned in another thread, this was a team loss. Carson had a bad game, WR's dropped balls, Fanene got owned in the running game, Crocker was on one leg and just couldn't keep up with Dustin Keller, there were a lot of things that went wrong.

i hate quotes like that.

Penalties...penalties

Playcalling?

[/quote]

Sis, this is a copy and paste of a post I made elsewhere on this very topic and quote.
It will probably get me trashed here or possibly banned for not following the party line
and bashing Marvin who I do not think is an NFL calibre head coach and his singling out any player
is just another example.
I made this before I read yours above.
Sorry, Go guys, Not only Brat but Marvin have to go before Shayne and we get a coaching staff in here in the
mold of Zimmer who coach the team to play to win and not play not to lose and hope for the best like Marvin.
Wait 'til next year and we see those teams on our schedule.
BTW- I blame the San Diego loss on him not raising the roof over the illegal substitution when LT did not run all
the way on to the field and it was missed by the refs. And Marv, but wan't there someone there sharp enough to
pick that up and tell him?
The head coach and offensive coordinator is the problem with this team.
Not a player who has won more games for this team than the aforementioned tools.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
This game was lost when they came out unprepared and with no clue of any sort of
creative, workable game plan.
They were unmotivated and Marvinized to play not to lose rather than win and the did just that: lose.
The game was lost by a coach who blew two red flag calls in the first quarter.
This game was lost by a so-called coach who is better at press conferences than game planning and motivation.
This game was lost by a coaching staff who can't send in plays that will score touchdowns in the red zone.

The field goals did not kill us as much as an inept coaching staff and brain numb game plan implemented by
a mob of morons who put them in that position to begin with. How about whose fault are the season plaguing
penalties, the lack of motivation and discipline (ref penalties... most offensive penalties in the NFL), and lip service.

If Marvello wants to criticize someone, he could start with himself.
Shayne screwed up, Everyone does but he has been far more consistent
and a positive element to this team all around than Marvkowski.
I would bet the ranch and livestock Shayne holds himself responsible.
How about Marv Screwus man upping and doing the same thing.
I mean, really rather than lip service. Or is that Lippencot service?
Shayne was franchised but so what? That was only for a year.
Hey, Marv, How long have we put up with your mediocrity, bitch.
And your little dog Bratcowshit, too.

Shayne screwed up two field goals last night for whatever reason.
Marv has screwed up the last 3-4 years.

Shayne holds himself responsible (I'm sure).
Marv does not see himself responsible for much of anything.
What a clueless tool.
Great leadership, Marv. Single out one guy for the media.
Shayne wasn't missing the tackles, blowing the coverages, jumping off sides for dead ball penalties,
dropping the passes, over pursuing, pulling up in his routes causing an easy pick.

I dare say Shayne's field goals have been responsible for more W's that Marvkowski's game plans and
coaching.

STFU Marv.

"When you win, say little.
When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown.

Archived