Marvin on missed FGs: "It killed us"

Well all, I did say those misses were a LARGE reason we couldn't win that game. But the way I see it, those FG were to keep us in it. Not to win it. And I didn't see any evidence that we were gonna march right back down and score a TD. Might have happened. But due to missed FG, we didn't have a chance. But we got sacked right out of a TD in the last plays anyway, so I suspect the same would have happened.

No matter. This wasn't a SB team. We had a good run for such mediocre playing. It was a fun year...after the first 6 games for me anyway.

[quote name='High School Harry' date='11 January 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1263215576' post='855923']
Sis, this is a copy and paste of a post I made elsewhere on this very topic and quote.
It will probably get me trashed here or possibly banned for not following the party line
and bashing Marvin who I do not think is an NFL calibre head coach and his singling out any player
is just another example.
I made this before I read yours above.
Sorry, Go guys, Not only Brat but Marvin have to go before Shayne and we get a coaching staff in here in the
mold of Zimmer who coach the team to play to win and not play not to lose and hope for the best like Marvin.
Wait 'til next year and we see those teams on our schedule.
BTW- I blame the San Diego loss on him not raising the roof over the illegal substitution when LT did not run all
the way on to the field and it was missed by the refs. And Marv, but wan't there someone there sharp enough to
pick that up and tell him?
The head coach and offensive coordinator is the problem with this team.
Not a player who has won more games for this team than the aforementioned tools.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
This game was lost when they came out unprepared and with no clue of any sort of
creative, workable game plan.
They were unmotivated and Marvinized to play not to lose rather than win and the did just that: lose.
The game was lost by a coach who blew two red flag calls in the first quarter.
This game was lost by a so-called coach who is better at press conferences than game planning and motivation.
This game was lost by a coaching staff who can't send in plays that will score touchdowns in the red zone.

The field goals did not kill us as much as an inept coaching staff and brain numb game plan implemented by
a mob of morons who put them in that position to begin with. How about whose fault are the season plaguing
penalties, the lack of motivation and discipline (ref penalties... most offensive penalties in the NFL), and lip service.

If Marvello wants to criticize someone, he could start with himself.
Shayne screwed up, Everyone does but he has been far more consistent
and a positive element to this team all around than Marvkowski.
I would bet the ranch and livestock Shayne holds himself responsible.
How about Marv Screwus man upping and doing the same thing.
I mean, really rather than lip service. Or is that Lippencot service?
Shayne was franchised but so what? That was only for a year.
Hey, Marv, How long have we put up with your mediocrity, bitch.
And your little dog Bratcowshit, too.

Shayne screwed up two field goals last night for whatever reason.
Marv has screwed up the last 3-4 years.

Shayne holds himself responsible (I'm sure).
Marv does not see himself responsible for much of anything.
What a clueless tool.
Great leadership, Marv. Single out one guy for the media.
Shayne wasn't missing the tackles, blowing the coverages, jumping off sides for dead ball penalties,
dropping the passes, over pursuing, pulling up in his routes causing an easy pick.

I dare say Shayne's field goals have been responsible for more W's that Marvkowski's game plans and
coaching.

STFU Marv.

"When you win, say little.
When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown.
[/quote]

Thanks Harry. Missed ya at halftime. I'll get that tailgate pic to ya once I unpack and download.

[quote name='High School Harry' date='11 January 2010 - 07:12 AM' timestamp='1263215576' post='855923']
Sis, this is a copy and paste of a post I made elsewhere on this very topic and quote.
It will probably get me trashed here or possibly banned for not following the party line
and bashing Marvin who I do not think is an NFL calibre head coach and his singling out any player
is just another example.
Sorry, Go guys, Not only Brat but Marvin have to go before Shayne and we get a coaching staff in here in the
mold of Zimmer who coach the team to play to win and not play not to lose and hope for the best like Marvin.
BTW- I blame the San Diego loss on him not raising the roof over the illegal substitution when LT did not run all
the way on to the field and it was missed by the refs. And Marv, but wan't there someone there sharp enough to
Not a player who has won more games for this team than the aforementioned tools.
This game was lost when they came out unprepared and with no clue of any sort of
They were unmotivated and Marvinized to play not to lose rather than win and the did just that: lose.
This game was lost by a so-called coach who is better at press conferences than game planning and motivation.
This game was lost by a coaching staff who can't send in plays that will score touchdowns in the red zone.

The field goals did not kill us as much as an inept coaching staff and brain numb game plan implemented by
a mob of morons who put them in that position to begin with. How about whose fault are the season plaguing
penalties, the lack of motivation and discipline (ref penalties... most offensive penalties in the NFL), and lip service.

What a clueless tool.
Shayne wasn't missing the tackles, blowing the coverages, jumping off sides for dead ball penalties,
dropping the passes, over pursuing, pulling up in his routes causing an easy pick.

I dare say Shayne's field goals have been responsible for more W's that Marvkowski's game plans and
coaching.

STFU Marv.

[/quote]

Why would even mention getting banned?
You think what you said was so bad it might be warranted?
I don't. And to even mention it is laughable. But so is your
hatred and bashing of Marvin.

There were 9 players on the roster that were here on the 2005 team.
Think about that for a second. Marvin had one of the youngests teams
and the most inexperienced team in the NFL. Add in shuffling the O-line,
the loss of both starting TEs, the loss of Henry, the fact that Carson, Chad
and Whitworth were all coming back from injuries. Not to even mention the
loss of some of the key Defensive players. Yet Marvin was still able to win
another division title.

I don't think what Marvin said was bad at all. He said they killed, and they did.
They killed any chance of winning the game. They were chip shots. The misses
were inexcusable. I have been a Graham supporter, but there is no defending
those misses. Marvin didn't throw him under the bus. He stated a fact and even
said Shayne feels worse than anyone.

[b]"It is a shame, and it killed us," said Lewis. "Unfortunately kicking is mostly a one-man operation. I know Shayne feels worse about it than anyone. Those points obviously make a big difference."[/b]

It was a shame. It did kill us. The kicking game is mostly a one man operation.
The snaps and holds were good. Shayne probably does feel worse than anyone.
And those points obviously would have made a big difference.

Seriously, what is so bad about him saying that? And where is he criticizing Shayne?

I am disappointed in Shayne. He not only ducked the media after the game.
But he also ducked them yesterday too. He took that quote you posted from
Paul Brown literal. And didn't stand up and take his lumps. I am sure if he kicked
a FG that won the game, he would have been there with bells on.

I wish him luck. But obviously it is time he and the team part ways.

[quote name='High School Harry' date='11 January 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1263215576' post='855923']
is just another example.

What a clueless tool.

coaching.

STFU Marv.

[/quote]

can't put it all on coaching. 2 missed FG's, a fumble in FG range, an INT in Jets territory, a dropped TD by Chad in the endzone, multiple dropped passes by WR's.

Players have to make plays.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 January 2010 - 09:06 AM' timestamp='1263218792' post='855936']
can't put it all on coaching. 2 missed FG's, a fumble in FG range, an INT in Jets territory, a dropped TD by Chad in the endzone, multiple dropped passes by WR's.

Players have to make plays.
[/quote]

We could get into this all day....

Who picked the players that made the mistakes??

Which came first? The Chicken or the egg??

This coaching staff makes waaaaaay to many mental errors.

Physical stuff can be forgiven as some of it is left to chance....mental errors...not so much.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 January 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1263219437' post='855940']

Physical stuff can be forgiven as some of it is left to chance....mental errors...not so much.
[/quote]

They were most inexperienced team in the NFL, and it showed.
The Packers are the youngest team in the NFL. And they have
those most penalties in the NFL to prove it. With experience
comes less errors.

How does the coaching staff make mental errors, when it is the players doing it?

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1263216709' post='855924']
Well all, I did say those misses were a LARGE reason we couldn't win that game. But the way I see it, those FG were to keep us in it. Not to win it. And I didn't see any evidence that we were gonna march right back down and score a TD. Might have happened. But due to missed FG, we didn't have a chance. But we got sacked right out of a TD in the last plays anyway, so I suspect the same would have happened.

No matter. This wasn't a SB team. We had a good run for such mediocre playing. It was a fun year...after the first 6 games for me anyway.
[/quote]

I am of two minds on Shayne....

Could the team have played better?.....yeah.

If this was a playoff team should we even let it get to the point where we need to count on Shayne? Probably not...most of the time.

...but Shayne is paid very well to do two things....kick off which he is mediocre at and make FG's which he has proven to be not so good at in clutch situations....

If the FG had been 45 to 55 yards....maybe he gets some slack.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 January 2010 - 09:21 AM' timestamp='1263219717' post='855943']
They were most inexperienced team in the NFL, and it showed.
The Packers are the youngest team in the NFL. And they have
those most penalties in the NFL to prove it. With experience
comes less errors.

How does the coaching staff make mental errors, when it is the players doing it?
[/quote]

Calling a spike play with plenty of time at the end of a game or the end of a half when you have timeouts left which wastes a down and another chance at a TD.

Going for it at the end of a half with a run and a short screen pass when there is not enough time to get to mid field and low and behold we fumble and give up points.

Wasting both of your replay reviews in the first quarter of a playoff game.

Not having sense enough to get the team to the line and get another play run(like every other NFL team does) after a questionable play before it can be reviewed?

Should I go on?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 January 2010 - 08:26 AM' timestamp='1263219969' post='855946']
Calling a spike play with plenty of time at the end of a game or the end of a half when you have timeouts left which wastes a down and another chance at a TD.

Going for it at the end of a half with a run and a short screen pass when there is not enough time to get to mid field and low and behold we fumble and give up points.

Wasting both of your replay reviews in the first quarter of a playoff game.

Not having sense enough to get the team to the line and get another play run(like every other NFL team does) after a questionable play before it can be reviewed?

Should I go on?
[/quote]

Go on all you want.

You act like every other coach makes all the right moves.
Hell, I saw some bone head moves made by Harbaugh
and Belichick yesterday.

Belichick had all his starters play last week. Took out Brady,
put him back in and then took him out with the game on the line.

Plus the 4th and 2 call against the Colts. I guess he gets a pass
because of his rings and being a genius and all though, right?

The fact is, you are a Bengals fan. You follow the Bengals a lot
more closely than any other team. So Marvin's gaffes are amplified.
He is not a bad coach at all.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 January 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1263220351' post='855950']
Go on all you want.

and Belichick yesterday.

[/quote]

Honestly, I think Marvin is a great coach......His in game management just stinks.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1263216709' post='855924']

[/quote]

I wonder if Graham thought "eh, it doesn't matter... this isn't a SB team" before the game. Sure seemed liked it.

[quote name='Bgal' date='11 January 2010 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1263220621' post='855953']
I wonder if Graham thought "eh, it doesn't matter... this isn't a SB team" before the game. Sure seemed liked it.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm sure that's what he thought. Probably even missed it on purpose..

Sigh...

Like I said, everything the Bengals do wrong was put on display.

The dropped balls
WRs that cant get seperation
The turnovers
The inconsistent pass protection
The D biting on gadget plays
The inability to cover on short passing plays
The wasted challenges
And the two missed FGs

Shayne should have made them, but he was not the reason we lost, this was not a FG winning situation where he only has to make the kick and we win. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to cause us this loss, and Shayne was only one of them.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 January 2010 - 06:36 AM' timestamp='1263220579' post='855952']
Honestly, I think Marvin is a great coach......[b]His in game management just stinks[/b].
[/quote]

There is absolutely no arguing this point. He's probably the worst in the NFL...

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='11 January 2010 - 08:48 AM' timestamp='1263221284' post='855963']
Like I said, everything the Bengals do wrong was put on display.

The dropped balls
WRs that cant get seperation
The turnovers
The inconsistent pass protection
The D biting on gadget plays
The inability to cover on short passing plays
The wasted challenges
And the two missed FGs

Shayne should have made them, but he was not the reason we lost, this was not a FG winning situation where he only has to make the kick and we win. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to cause us this loss, and Shayne was only one of them.
[/quote]

No one is saying he is the reason we lost. They are saying his misses killed.
Like it or not, a Kicker's performance is more scrutinized than most positions.
Mostly because they are only in on about 5 or 10 plays a game, counting Kickoffs.
They are expected to be near perfect on those plays. Carson completed over 50%
of his passes. Shayne missed 100% of his FG attempts.

And yes they lost as a team. Every team always does.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 January 2010 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1263219437' post='855940']

[/quote]

so the coaches made mistakes in drafting Carson and Chad? I really don't think you want to go down that road.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 January 2010 - 09:53 AM' timestamp='1263221634' post='855969']
No one is saying he is the reason we lost. They are saying his misses killed.
Like it or not, a Kicker's performance is more scrutinized than most positions.
Mostly because they are only in on about 5 or 10 plays a game, counting Kickoffs.
They are expected to be near perfect on those plays. Carson completed over 50%
of his passes. Shayne missed 100% of his FG attempts.

And yes they lost as a team. Every team always does.
[/quote]

I agree they were the nails in the coffin, built by the team over 4 quarters. ;)

[quote name='butlerbulldogs' date='11 January 2010 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1263221300' post='855964']
I think it is best to part ways w/ Graham and bring in FA Mike Nugent
[/quote]

It's comments like this that baffle me. He hasn't even done as well as Shayne. And his clutch record isn't great either.

Anyway, no matter.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 January 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1263220351' post='855950']
Go on all you want.

and Belichick yesterday.

[/quote]

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner!! All coaches, Players, and Owners make mistakes. Hell, EVERYBODY in the world makes mistakes DAILY. It's just for Shane, Marvin, and Athletes in General, the Magnifying Glass is so Big, that you think you have the right to Act like you've never screwed up. YOU HAVE!! I know I HAVE!!! Some of you need to grow up.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='11 January 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1263221837' post='855972']
I agree they were the nails in the coffin, built by the team over 4 quarters. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Well, that's what this thread is about is the nails.
If you want to talk about the coffin all the time,
then do it in one of the coffin threads. ;) back @ ya

My thoughts are those two kicks, especially the first, really did kill us. He makes the first, we are down 14-10. Remember, directly after that kick, the Jets scored a TD to go up 21-7. Maybe at 14-10 the D doesn't have a WTF moment and holds to a FG or better. Anyway, let's say he makes his first one and we down 24-17. We have the ball 4 and 10 at their 11 (or what ever the distance was), do we still kick the second or do we go for it? Worse case we fail and they have terrible field position. Best case we score the TD and tie the game. Now let's say he makes the 2nd. The last drive we are down 24-17. We don't need two scores and don't have to save time on the clock. My bet is Carson pulls off the two minute drill and we tie the game and at least get to OT. Pure speculation yes, but with the two misses, there wasn't even a chance. Sure the other stuff hurt to, but you can't miss kicks inside the red zone and expect to win in the NFL.

I will say that if he leav3es though, the community will miss him. It is well documented the hard work and effort he has put into the cincinnati community. Most of us will miss you too Sis, unless you decide to stick around. Sorry for the abuse you had to take around here because of people's feelings about your brother. You don't deserve it all.

Archived