Marvin on missed FGs: "It killed us"

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 January 2010 - 10:27 AM' timestamp='1263223635' post='855989']
Well, that's what this thread is about is the nails.
If you want to talk about the coffin all the time,
then do it in one of the coffin threads. ;) back @ ya
[/quote]

Was the other stuff not related? I think it was. ;)

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='11 January 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1263223786' post='855993']
Was the other stuff not related? I think it was. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

First off, stop winking at me, you're creeping me out.

Secondly, yes Jamie, we all realize that other players
made mistakes. We also realize that those mistakes
helped them lose. But the fact is, Shayne missed two
chip shot FGs. And if he had made them, it would have
changed the complection of the game. Ecspecially the
last one. If he made it, the Bengals are down one score
DESPITE ALL THEIR MISTAKES. Coffin, whatever you want
to call it. And they would have STILL HAD A CHANCE TO WIN
DESPITE ALL THEIR MISTAKES, Coffin, whatever you want to
call it. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand. And it
certainly shouldn't be something to argue over. It is pretty
cut and dry.

Shayne's missed not only put nails in the coffin. They threw dirt
on the coffin and buried them.

While we are discussing Graham, anyone have an idea what was going on with the opening kickoff of the 2nd half? I know there was a thread about it, but nothing else. Was it a called on-side type kick (similar to the one against the Oilers in the 80s) a mistake or purposely done for another reason? I don't believe Shayne shanked that one, so it'd be interesting to find out what happened. That altered the field position battle immediately in the 2nd half.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='11 January 2010 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1263224183' post='855997']
First off, stop winking at me, you're creeping me out.

Secondly, yes Jamie, we all realize that other players
made mistakes. We also realize that those mistakes
helped them lose. But the fact is, Shayne missed two
chip shot FGs. And if he had made them, it would have
changed the complection of the game. Ecspecially the
last one. If he made it, the Bengals are down one score
DESPITE ALL THEIR MISTAKES. Coffin, whatever you want
to call it. And they would have STILL HAD A CHANCE TO WIN
DESPITE ALL THEIR MISTAKES, Coffin, whatever you want to
call it. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand. And it
certainly shouldn't be something to argue over. It is pretty
cut and dry.

Shayne's missed not only put nails in the coffin. They threw dirt
on the coffin and buried them.
[/quote]

Here is the thing Old and why I disagree here. The kicks, while should have been made, were not going to put us into anything less than another TD needed, it is a pretty big assumption that we would have even gotten that TD.

[quote name='ccartman2' date='11 January 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1263225423' post='856005']
While we are discussing Graham, anyone have an idea what was going on with the opening kickoff of the 2nd half? I know there was a thread about it, but nothing else. Was it a called on-side type kick (similar to the one against the Oilers in the 80s) a mistake or purposely done for another reason? I don't believe Shayne shanked that one, so it'd be interesting to find out what happened. That altered the field position battle immediately in the 2nd half.
[/quote]

This was a bigger issue to me than the FGs, it put their O in a short field and scoring position. The missed FGs happen, this was just bad.

[quote name='ccartman2' date='11 January 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1263225423' post='856005']
[/quote]

Called on purpose.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1263222166' post='855975']
It's comments like this that baffle me. He hasn't even done as well as Shayne. And his clutch record isn't great either.

Anyway, no matter.

]
Shayne's clutch record is not very...this year's playoff game, the missed xps this year, the missed fg to beat the steelers to go to the playoffs, etc.

I want Nuge b/c he has deep leg and can kick it out of the endzone, was nails at OSU and got injured with the Jets. he kicked well for arizona at the end of the year, he wasn't a second round pick as a kicker for nothing

[quote name='butlerbulldogs' date='11 January 2010 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1263226072' post='856014']

Shayne's clutch record is not very...this year's playoff game, the missed xps this year, the missed fg to beat the steelers to go to the playoffs, etc.

I want Nuge b/c he has deep leg and can kick it out of the endzone, was nails at OSU and got injured with the Jets. he kicked well for arizona at the end of the year, he wasn't a second round pick as a kicker for nothing
[/quote]

You must not have looks at Nuge's stats in the NFL...

And you also haven't looked at Shayne's.

Good day to you sir.

Shayne blew it this game. Definitely. But that doesn't change the fact he's still done more good than bad and he's been a very good Bengal. That time is over. Move on.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='11 January 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1263225829' post='856011']
Why?
[/quote]

It was planned before the game even started...so beats me. I didn't ask.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='11 January 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1263225716' post='856008']
Here is the thing Old and why I disagree here. The kicks, while should have been made, were not going to put us into anything less than another TD needed, it is a pretty big assumption that we would have even gotten that TD.
[/quote]

Jamie - mentally, if you realize you have a good, if not great, shot to still win a game you try harder. That is fact. When a player, or team, sees that 1 td can either tie, or more than likely give them a 3 point lead the team will play better. It is a fact. That is where the "dig down deep" mentality comes from... nut up, man up you get the idea. What do band members say when they've got to give a solo performance on the biggest stage of their lives... I know in acting it is break a leg...

When you're down multiple scores, especially when time is short, teams give up. The mentality of why continue to fight when we can't score enough creeps in... it happens. Look at the Patriots yesterday. They quit when they got down by so much.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1263225801' post='856010']
Called on purpose.
[/quote]

Sis - I'm glad you were able to shed light on that... I figured it was. Horrible coaching decision. You might as well have just kicked it out of bounds so the Jets didn't even have a chance of a return. They fair caught it at the 40 anyway...

And, whoever said to sign Mike Nugent... take the OSU sunglasses off... he's average - really below average, at best. The Jets let his ass walk.

Sorry. Time for Shayne to go. History is history and a fresh start makes things better.

He is a good not great kicker that they found off the wavier wire. You can't give a contract that it will take to get him back with the big kicks he's missed. 1st miss after new contract no matter what and it's panic time. Not fair to anybody.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 January 2010 - 09:54 AM' timestamp='1263221678' post='855971']
so the coaches made mistakes in drafting Carson and Chad? I really don't think you want to go down that road.
[/quote]

Are they the only two players they drafted?

and even so....are those players making mistakes??

You can't blame the players out of one side of your mouth and protect them out the other....

Either the players are not executing which makes them not NFL caliber...which means they should not be playing.

Or...they are not being coached up enough and being put into the proper situation to win.

Which is it??

What stand do you want to make? Waffling on each edge ruins your credibility...

I'm an Ohio State fan, and i'd also like to see them give Nugent a shot. He hasn't had as good of a career as Shayne, but it really doesn't matter if you miss the big kicks. I know Nugent was one of the most hardcore kickers i've ever seen when he was at Ohio State, and I'm sure thats why a lot of people would like to see him here. You wouldn't have to worry about him crumbling under pressure. Shayne has been a great kicker, and I stuck up for him until Saturday while my brother always said he couldn't kick in the clutch, I always said it was a fluke, and stuck up for him, but it's been too many incidents like this to even deny it now.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 11:21 AM' timestamp='1263226871' post='856020']
You must not have looks at Nuge's stats in the NFL...

And you also haven't looked at Shayne's.

Good day to you sir.

Shayne blew it this game. Definitely. But that doesn't change the fact he's still done more good than bad and he's been a very good Bengal. That time is over. Move on.

It was planned before the game even started...so beats me. I didn't ask.
[/quote]

What a dumb call.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='11 January 2010 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1263227080' post='856022']
Jamie - mentally, if you realize you have a good, if not great, shot to still win a game you try harder. That is fact. When a player, or team, sees that 1 td can either tie, or more than likely give them a 3 point lead the team will play better. It is a fact. That is where the "dig down deep" mentality comes from... nut up, man up you get the idea. What do band members say when they've got to give a solo performance on the biggest stage of their lives... I know in acting it is break a leg...

When you're down multiple scores, especially when time is short, teams give up. The mentality of why continue to fight when we can't score enough creeps in... it happens. Look at the Patriots yesterday. They quit when they got down by so much.

Sis - I'm glad you were able to shed light on that... I figured it was. Horrible coaching decision. You might as well have just kicked it out of bounds so the Jets didn't even have a chance of a return. They fair caught it at the 40 anyway...

And, whoever said to sign Mike Nugent... take the OSU sunglasses off... he's average - really below average, at best. The Jets let his ass walk.
[/quote]

That mentality of trying harder goes both ways, their defense would have been trying harder as well. We just cant assume that because our guys would have been trying harder that we would have gotten a TD.

[quote name='mroby85' date='11 January 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1263229094' post='856048']
I'm an Ohio State fan, and i'd also like to see them give Nugent a shot. He hasn't had as good of a career as Shayne, but it really doesn't matter if you miss the big kicks. I know Nugent was one of the most hardcore kickers i've ever seen when he was at Ohio State, and I'm sure thats why a lot of people would like to see him here. You wouldn't have to worry about him crumbling under pressure. Shayne has been a great kicker, and I stuck up for him until Saturday while my brother always said he couldn't kick in the clutch, I always said it was a fluke, and stuck up for him, but it's been too many incidents like this to even deny it now.
[/quote]

Nugent HAS missed those pressure kicks you speak of in the NFL...

So unless you think he has the magic pill to never miss them with the Bengals...the argument holds no water.

Good kickers have and will miss kicks. Many were missed THIS year, by kickers that many have said we should bring in.

Fact of life. Make some miss some. Even Vinny has missed SHORT game winning FGs for Indy (and those games are mostly in a dome).

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1263229315' post='856052']
Nugent HAS missed those pressure kicks you speak of in the NFL...

So unless you think he has the magic pill to never miss them with the Bengals...the argument holds no water.

Good kickers have and will miss kicks. Many were missed THIS year, by kickers that many have said we should bring in.

Fact of life. Make some miss some. Even Vinny has missed SHORT game winning FGs for Indy (and those games are mostly in a dome).
[/quote]

I wish Shayne well, but not here...other teams change kickers, baltimore cut theirs mid year...need a fresh look, Nuge or not Nuge, need a new one...good day, Shayne...if you are so clutch teams will be clamoring to sign you for a top5 deal that you shouldn't get in Cincy..Fans have absoulute disdain for him now and it isn't a good situation....maybe he should have done an interview and manned up for the misses. instead of running out of the locker room

[quote name='butlerbulldogs' date='11 January 2010 - 12:06 PM' timestamp='1263229573' post='856057']
I wish Shayne well, but not here...other teams change kickers, baltimore cut theirs mid year...need a fresh look, Nuge or not Nuge, need a new one...good day, Shayne...if you are so clutch teams will be clamoring to sign you for a top5 deal that you shouldn't get in Cincy..Fans have absoulute disdain for him now and it isn't a good situation....maybe he should have done an interview and manned up for the misses. instead of running out of the locker room
[/quote]

Baltimore let Stover go this past offseason and drafted a guy that didnt work out only to have to cut him and go somewhere else. Stover meanwhile will likely be getting his 2nd ring with the Colts.

I agree its best to move on though just from a fan disdain aspect.

I really wish shayne would have made those kicks, even if we lost, it would have still been ok to bring him back. I think he is a good kicker and probably better then anyone we are gonna bring in.

However, when you play for a team that has had 3 playoff games (im counting the win and you are in vs Pittsburgh in 06) and he has missed crucial kicks in 2 of the 3, its just time to move on. We are probably gonna take our lumps here and there with a new kicker, but if he can make the big kick next year in a playoff game or big game, it will make it all worth it. If the new guy misses it....

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='11 January 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1263228991' post='856046']
Are they the only two players they drafted?

and even so....are those players making mistakes??

You can't blame the players out of one side of your mouth and protect them out the other....

Either the players are not executing which makes them not NFL caliber...which means they should not be playing.

Or...they are not being coached up enough and being put into the proper situation to win.

Which is it??

What stand do you want to make? Waffling on each edge ruins your credibility...
[/quote]

who's protecting the players? You suggested coaches are drafting bad players. I pointed to two of our best players who made two big mistakes costing us potentially 10 points. That's not the coaches fault.

That really baffles me that the kickoff was on purpose...kicking it 30 yards means no chance to recover as an onside kick unless the Jets are morons and dont see the ball going there, I could even understand a real onside kick or popping it up 15 yards, but how do you expect to get 30 yards downfield before anyone on the receiving team?

[quote name='MrDingleDangle' date='11 January 2010 - 04:16 PM' timestamp='1263244602' post='856194']
That really baffles me that the kickoff was on purpose...kicking it 30 yards means no chance to recover as an onside kick unless the Jets are morons and dont see the ball going there, I could even understand a real onside kick or popping it up 15 yards, but how do you expect to get 30 yards downfield before anyone on the receiving team?
[/quote]

It was a trick play that the coaching staff devised to give the Jets such great field position that they would think they were supposed to drive the ball the other direction into their own end zone........

I'll be damned though, it did not work!

Archived