Marvin on missed FGs: "It killed us"

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 January 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1263253600' post='856288']
Bring back Rackers!
[/quote]

If I thought the fans would welcome him back, I think it would be great for Rackers to come back. He's proven he can kick (when he has a decent ST coach, and a field that isn't shit) and I think he deserves a shot at redemption.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 08:13 PM' timestamp='1263255181' post='856303']
If I thought the fans would welcome him back, I think it would be great for Rackers to come back. He's proven he can kick (when he has a decent ST coach, and a field that isn't shit) and I think he deserves a shot at redemption.
[/quote]

Sis,
I've been embarrassed reading the remarks about Shayne and those directed at you. My apologies to you both. Nobody feels worse than Shayne and you're not responsible for his kicking.Unfortunately, the web is a place for people to vent their frustrations even if they don't know squat.

That said, it's time for Shayne to move on . It's best for him and the team. As you can see, the fans will never forgive him. I've always been a Shayne supporter but life in the spotlight can be cruel. I'm sure he'll find a team that wants him . I wish you both the best of luck.

[quote name='Patmo' date='11 January 2010 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1263256294' post='856313']
Sis,
I've been embarrassed reading the remarks about Shayne and those directed at you. My apologies to you both. Nobody feels worse than Shayne and you're not responsible for his kicking.Unfortunately, the web is a place for people to vent their frustrations even if they don't know squat.

That said, it's time for Shayne to move on . It's best for him and the team. As you can see, the fans will never forgive him. I've always been a Shayne supporter but life in the spotlight can be cruel. I'm sure he'll find a team that wants him . I wish you both the best of luck.
[/quote]

Sis, simply put Shayne thinks he is one of the best kickers in the league and failed when we need him the most. I am not even going to pretend to care what your reply. I am sure you'll respectfully disagree. The fact of the matter is that he can and should be replaced. I am sure he'll go elsewhere and have a solid career, but his performance at critical time can only be rationalized by a family member. For the rest of us, he help ruin our dream until at least another year....

[quote name='BengalBaron' date='11 January 2010 - 08:49 PM' timestamp='1263260975' post='856350']
Sis, simply put Shayne thinks he is one of the best kickers in the league and failed when we need him the most. I am not even going to pretend to care what your reply. I am sure you'll respectfully disagree. The fact of the matter is that he can and should be replaced. I am sure he'll go elsewhere and have a solid career, but his performance at critical time can only be rationalized by a family member. For the rest of us, he help ruin our dream until at least another year....
[/quote]

Shayne knows what this game did to his rep, and to the team. He knows he let people down, including himself. He also knows he's better than that. And that he let himself lose focus. It happens to the best, and it'll be how he responds to this that determines where he goes from here.

If I know my brother, he'll be itchin for the chance to redeem himself, and such a game winning situation is what he'll sprint towards, instead of run from.

I hope he gets that chance somewhere.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1263264846' post='856378']
Shayne knows what this game did to his rep, and to the team. He knows he let people down, including himself. He also knows he's better than that. And that he let himself lose focus. It happens to the best, and it'll be how he responds to this that determines where he goes from here.

If I know my brother, he'll be itchin for the chance to redeem himself, and such a game winning situation is what he'll sprint towards, instead of run from.

I hope he gets that chance somewhere.
[/quote]
Sis, you're right. He missed two immense kicks (which at the time had me fuming)...but I'm about over it now. The way some on here continue to harp make Shayne sound like Ray Finkle. It's football, both the team and Shayne will move on. I'm nervous now at who we're bringing in.

[img]http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/user_pictures/0009/8890/finkle_profile_page.jpg[/img]

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1263187953' post='855892']
I hate seeing any player thrown under the bus when I think coaching is as big a part of loss. And I have rarely heard the coaches take any blame.
[/quote]

Players make mistakes all the time, but a kicker has so fewer opportunites to make them. HE blew his only 2 chances to do anything other than an extra point.

He's worn out his welcome. He was once Golden, but now he's Fool's Gold.

[quote name='SalCrumb' date='11 January 2010 - 10:06 PM' timestamp='1263265608' post='856388']
Players make mistakes all the time, but a kicker has so fewer opportunites to make them. HE blew his only 2 chances to do anything other than an extra point.

He's worn out his welcome. He was once Golden, but now he's Fool's Gold.
[/quote]

Glad you could get that "Fool's Gold" comment in there. I was worried it would get left out of the growing list of names...Now I'm gonna have to start writing them down...

Sigh...

Moonlight, Pyrite, Shank, Fool's Gold...I can't even remember the ones from today...so many.

And I can't even go with my personal favorite (the one I usually call him at home), "wide right", because he missed one each way...damnit

Good to know he's worn out welcome too. The other 700 posts weren't clear enough. :)

:2dedhorse:

me <--- :thwack1: :tease:

Sorry...I'm just avoiding real work now...

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 10:16 PM' timestamp='1263266208' post='856392']
Glad you could get that "Fool's Gold" comment in there. I was worried it would get left out of the growing list of names...Now I'm gonna have to start writing them down...

Sigh...

Moonlight, Pyrite, Shank, Fool's Gold...I can't even remember the ones from today...so many.

And I can't even go with my personal favorite (the one I usually call him at home), "wide right", because he missed one each way...damnit

Good to know he's worn out welcome too. The other 700 posts weren't clear enough. :)

:2dedhorse:

me <--- :thwack1: :tease:

Sorry...I'm just avoiding real work now...
[/quote]
Is there any way Shayne could text Marvin Sam Swank's number...just in case?

[quote name='Bunghole' date='11 January 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1263267178' post='856398']
Is there any way Shayne could text Marvin Sam Swank's number...just in case?
[/quote]

I'm sure Marvin already has it on speed dial... Prob had him lined up outside the stadium in case Carson didn't get sacked out of FG territory again on the last drive.

[quote name='B.A.B.' date='11 January 2010 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1263267396' post='856400']
Know what killed it for me? Carson's int. The way he tried to force the ball in there, against the top CB in the game, when he was completely blanketed, that told me that he wasn't gonna do shit for us all game.
[/quote]

I don't know why all the throws are too high. But that has to get corrected or someone is gonna get hurt. I also think the high grab contributed to Coles fumble. He got nailed by three guys before he could get the high pass fully reeled in. Same with the incomplete pass at the goal line. Both unnecessary high grabs.

[quote name='BengalSIS' date='11 January 2010 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1263267570' post='856402']
I don't know why all the throws are too high. But that has to get corrected or someone is gonna get hurt. I also think the high grab contributed to Coles fumble. He got nailed by three guys before he could get the high pass fully reeled in. Same with the incomplete pass at the goal line. Both unnecessary high grabs.
[/quote]
There's no doubt its a concern, as well as me being forgiving of Coles for basically ruining an awesome return by Scott. We were on the goddamn 30 of the Jets and we should have scored on that opening drive. What a squandered opportunity, most of which was on Carson. Yes, Coles fumbled, but he made himself nine feet tall to try to grab the errant overthrow that Palmer gave him. E for effort, F for execution...on both guys.

It's a damn shame about those two missed kicks. Shayne is normally automatic from under 40 yards. Coming into this game, his career average from 39 yards or less was 93%. To miss two such kicks in a playoff game "killed" the Bengals, no doubt. Then again, the defense allowing touchdowns of 39 and 45 yards also "killed" the Bengals. And we can't forget about Carson's pick and Coles' fumble, which also "killed" the Bengals. There were problems in all three phases. The problem for Shayne is that this reinforces the stereotype that he isn't clutch. The snapping problems in the first half of the season made it tougher than it had to be for Shayne. The only other "bad" miss he had was against Oakland and he hit a couple 50+ yarders, which he hadn't done since 2006. I think his overall market value takes a little hit, but he'll definitely get a gig for good money somewhere else if he or the Bengals want out.

I'm watching the highlights right now, babe. He caught it up top then got turned around and never bothered to bring the ball in, and he got it stripped while he was trying to fall down. And it wasn't a particularly BAD throw considering Carson had 2 Jets directly in his face.

[quote name='B.A.B.' date='11 January 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1263268944' post='856412']
I'm watching the highlights right now, babe. He caught it up top then got turned around and never bothered to bring the ball in, and he got it stripped while he was trying to fall down. And it wasn't a particularly BAD throw considering Carson had 2 Jets directly in his face.
[/quote]
I agree Coles should have hauled it in...but Carson was putting the ball up like that all day...at least Coles was TRYING...and scored on the next drive...

...meanwhile, our RB Benson had 8.0ypc on 21 carries. I thought he should have got the ball more, and time permitting, he probably [b]would[/b] have had Shayne made at least ONE of those FG's, and most certainly if he hits them both. Dammit. It was just a bad showing all around.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='12 January 2010 - 12:01 AM' timestamp='1263272464' post='856420']
I agree Coles should have hauled it in...but Carson was putting the ball up like that all day...at least Coles was TRYING...and scored on the next drive...

...meanwhile, our RB Benson had 8.0ypc on 21 carries. I thought he should have got the ball more, and time permitting, he probably [b]would[/b] have had Shayne made at least ONE of those FG's, and most certainly if he hits them both. Dammit. It was just a bad showing all around.
[/quote]

I think if we had given Cedric the ball more, Shayne would have been attempting extra points instead of FGs.

[quote name='Cricket' date='12 January 2010 - 12:05 AM' timestamp='1263272704' post='856421']
I think if we had given Cedric the ball more, Shayne would have been attempting extra points instead of FGs.
[/quote]
**cedric...give ball more when rambling all over dudes...does not compute...why we not do...??**

[quote name='B.A.B.' date='11 January 2010 - 10:36 PM' timestamp='1263267396' post='856400']
Know what killed it for me? Carson's int. The way he tried to force the ball in there, against the top CB in the game, when he was completely blanketed, that told me that he wasn't gonna do shit for us all game.
[/quote]

I'm not convinced Chad didn't run the wrong route on that play. Watch Marvin just go off in Chad's direction the second revis picks off the ball.

[quote name='B.A.B.' date='11 January 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1263268944' post='856412']
[/quote]

IMO Coles doesn't fumble that if its a better pass. He got it stripped while trying to bring it down. A lower throw and we get points out of that drive (assuming Shayne makes the kick :ninja:)

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 January 2010 - 08:58 AM' timestamp='1263304726' post='856480']
IMO Coles doesn't fumble that if its a better pass. He got it stripped while trying to bring it down. A lower throw and we get points out of that drive (assuming Shayne makes the kick :ninja:)
[/quote]

That was my point. I was flinching the whole time he was bringing it in and somehow knew before it happened that he would lose it. He got UP to even catch it.
Same with Caldwell's catch that hit the turf at the 2.

Archived