Bring in Jerry Rice

Guest Bengal_Smoov

Guest Bengal_Smoov
His former team dissed him and said "NO" when he approached them about a farewell season, that's like tripping your grandma down a flight stairs. Our best receiver, Chad Johnson, idoilizes Rice and wants to model is game after the best wr of all time.

True, Rice has lost a step or step, but he was so far ahead the steps he lost have just brought him back to the pack. I know we have good young wr's who we should develop and blah blah blah blah......Rice is the best ever, if we can get him to come here and show Chad and the other guys his secrets it will be worth it.

Rice may not be the quickest or fastest but he does have the some of the best hands and he knows how to run routes. If the young guys are looking to Chad to learn how to be successful and Chad has a guy like JERRY RICE to look at everyday in practice to learn new things from then I think we would have a great foundation for our wr corp.

Jim Lippencott, I beesch your brethern, place a call to Rice's agent and see if he would want to join up with us.

Guest BengalsOwn
Yes, let's see if we can carry 15 WR's on our roster!!!!!!!!!!

We have way to much good young WR's to waste a roster space on Jerry Rice.

Guest WHODEYNATION
there is a 0% chance of "geriatric" rice coming to the bengals....that old man needs to retire already

Guest BengalsOwn
Besides, Jerry is too selfish to come here to teach our young receivers.

And he has too much natural ability to teach IMO. A guy like Peyton Manning wouldn't be as good as Jon Kitna when it comes to teaching a guy how to play QB.

Guest wat
[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 6 2005, 08:42 PM']Besides, Jerry is too selfish to come here to teach our young receivers.

And he has too much natural ability to teach IMO. A guy like Peyton Manning wouldn't be as good as Jon Kitna when it comes to teaching a guy how to play QB.
[right][post="89313"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I kind of agree. Jerry has a gift that cant be taught. He just gets being an NFL reciever. Seahawks brought him in to teach their young guys. What happened? They lead the league in dropped passes again and are now considering cutting Koren Robinson, their 1st round pick from a couple years ago. We have too many WR's already, why try to get another one.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 6 2005, 04:42 PM']Besides, Jerry is too selfish to come here to teach our young receivers.

[right][post="89313"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Actually, I don't think Rice has as much talent as guys like Moss, TO, Cris Carter, Keyshawn, Herman Moore, Sterling Sharpe, etc... He just outworked all of them.

Guest BlackJesus

[b]I think bringing in Rice would ruin Chads Image of him.... Kind of like when you really like that hot girl and then you go out with her and try it on and then realize oh that's it.....[/b] :huh:

At this point, I'd rather have Koren Robinson than Jerry Rice. Rice is unquestionably the greatest receiver to put on the uniform, however, at this point, he's just a name. Lets face it, if you're a Jerry Rice (or Emmitt Smith, for that matter) and the whores of the NFL - namely the Bucs and Raiders - aren't dialing your number, it's probably time to hang 'em up.

[quote name='wat' date='May 6 2005, 03:46 PM']I kind of agree.  Jerry has a gift that cant be taught.  He just gets being an NFL reciever.  Seahawks brought him in to teach their young guys.  What happened?  They lead the league in dropped passes again and are now considering cutting Koren Robinson, their 1st round pick from a couple years ago.  We have too many WR's already, why try to get anotpher one.
[right][post="89316"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='wat' date='May 6 2005, 03:46 PM']I kind of agree.  Jerry has a gift that cant be taught.  He just gets being an NFL reciever.  Seahawks brought him in to teach their young guys.  What happened?  They lead the league in dropped passes again and are now considering cutting Koren Robinson, their 1st round pick from a couple years ago.  We have too many WR's already, why try to get another one.
[right][post="89316"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Rice was brought in halfway through the season via a trade and he barely got on the field. Holmgren wishes he played Rice more, especially that last play were Bobby Engram dropped a TD to win the game, you know Rice would have caught that ball. Rice was brought in to replace Robinson who was suspended for violating the league's substance abuse policy, hard to teach someone when their not on the team. We don't have too many guys who are the caliber of Rice and we don't have a single wr with any playoff experience, Rice has experience out the wazzou. How can even make your finger type negative things about the best wr to ever play the game?

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='BengalsOwn' date='May 6 2005, 03:42 PM']Besides, Jerry is too selfish to come here to teach our young receivers.

[right][post="89313"][/post][/right][/quote]

Jerry Rice out-worked the competition, if you re-call correctly he ran slow 40 and many didn't think he would be any good coming out of a small college. Rice worked his way to where he is today, natural abilitiy my ass. And if you think Peyton Manning could teach a young player more than Jon Kitna then you're :crazy: . Kinta is good guy and all that jazz, but Peyton knows more about the qb position then most coaches and definitely Jon Kitna.

Guest Matt_Six
Seahawks brought in Rice to teach their young wide receivers... and they ended up being the most inconsistent receivers in the NFL last year.

Rice WAS a good player... and bringing him in to just coach doesn't sound good... after looking at the Seattle situation.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='ChicagoBengal' date='May 6 2005, 04:11 PM']At this point, I'd rather have Koren Robinson than Jerry Rice.  Rice is unquestionably the greatest receiver to put on the uniform, however, at this point, he's just a name.  Lets face it, if you're a Jerry Rice (or Emmitt Smith, for that matter) and the whores of the NFL - namely the Bucs and Raiders - aren't dialing your number, it's probably time to hang 'em up.
[right][post="89338"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Robinson is talented but too inconsistant, you can't say that about Rice. Rice wouldn't be asked to start and make big plays for us like Emmit was asked to do in Arizona. Rice would be a great 5th or 6th wr whose value would be more in practices than on game day.

Also, I saw were someone called him selfish, how do you know that? Have you met him, do you know him personally?

[quote name='Bengal_Smoov' date='May 6 2005, 05:42 PM']Robinson is talented but too inconsistant, you can't say that about Rice.  Rice wouldn't be asked to start and make big plays for us like Emmit was asked to do in Arizona.  Rice would be a great 5th or 6th wr whose value would be more in practices than on game day. 

Also, I saw were someone called him selfish, how do you know that?  Have you met him, do you know him personally?
[right][post="89347"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
he has been known as one of the most selfish players in the NFL history but his accomplishments have been able to hide it. He always had a me first attitude. (asking for the retired jersey # in seattle)

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='whodey319' date='May 6 2005, 04:44 PM']he has been known as one of the most selfish players in the NFL history but his accomplishments have been able to hide it.  He always had a me first attitude. (asking for the retired jersey # in seattle)
[right][post="89353"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

What great wr isn't labeled with something negative?

Besides, how is that selfish to ask, Largent could have said no, he is the best ever. That's like Jordan going to another team that has #23 retired, you think there not going to bring that number down from the rafters. Largent should be honored that Rice wore his number, it's not like Rice is a scrub. If Largent felt so passionately about someone wearing his number he should have said something. In fact Largent never said anything, just some fuck ass sports writer.

Guest Matt_Six
AND... this leads us to the most important question...

IF Jerry Rice was a Bengal, would you buy a Rice jersey?

I would be all for picking him up, but I sure don't see it happening, as you said we have a shitload of good young recievers...exactly why you need someon so good to come in and help them, put him in on third downs and tell him to shut the ___ up when he isn't playing.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Matt_Six' date='May 6 2005, 06:17 PM']AND... this leads us to the most important question...

IF Jerry Rice was a Bengal, would you buy a Rice jersey?
[right][post="89382"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Please believe it!!

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='Cincy_semro' date='May 6 2005, 07:02 PM']he is not coming

Chad, TJ, Pdub (4 now),Henry, Tab
[right][post="89403"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You forgot Kelley Washington.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
We could keep six, let Perry return kicks, and add Rice. We need a vet to help us make it deep in the playoffs and Rice could easily be that guy. How could our current roster say they have nothing to learn from Jerry Rice, honestly they can't. I know Hue Jackson is the wr coach but Jerry can show them things no one knows, even the great Marvin. He wouldn't want much and he should want to come and play for a young good team; if Chad asked him nicely how could he turn him down.

Guest BengalBacker
Sorry, but Jerry Rice needs to hang up the cleats and we certainly shouldn't cut young talent to make a spot for him.

I think he's the best receiver to ever play the game and I have a lot of respect for him, but he's done.

Archived