UPDATED: REDS SIGN ORLANDO CABRERA

JBandJoeyV

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/01/26/reds-have-some-interest-in-cabrera/

[quote]Reds have some interest in Cabrera Posted by jfay January 26th, 2010, 2:54 pm
Walt Jocketty confirmed the Reds’ interest in shortstop Orlando Cabrera. But nothing is close to happening.

View Results
Vovici Online Survey Software
“We’ve kicked it around a little bit,” Jocketty said. “We’re not sure it’s the right fit for us. And I don’t know if financially we’re in position to do it.”

Cabrera, 35, hit .284/.316/.389 with nine home runs, 77 RBI and 13 steals last season for Minnesota. He made $4 million. Washington is reportedly interested in him to play second.

The other shortstop out there is Alfredo Amezega, who was non-tendered by Florida.

“We’ve looked it a little bit,” Jocketty siad. “But he’s been hurt a lot. We have not talked to his agent at this point.”

Amezega, 31, was limited to 27 games last year by a knee problem. His career numbers are .251/.311/.341. He can play outfield also.

Jocketty said the team has not talked to either Jermaine Dye or Gary Sheffield.

There are still 90 unsigned free agents. But Jocketty said they haven’t heard from a lot of players willing to come in on minor league deals.

“Not yet,” he said. “We’re looking at who’s out there.”[/quote]

I highly doubt this happens, but if we could bring him in for a 1 or 2 year deal I really think we could have a shot at competing for an NL Central crown.
None of our SSs seem to be ready yet to play full time, and it is definitely our weak link.

Look at this potential lineup...

1. CF stubbs
2. SS Cabrera
3. 1B Joey Votto
4. 2B Brandon Phillips
5. 3B Scott Rolen
6. RF Jay Bruce
7. Whoever wins the LF job...Heisey/Balentien/Francisco/Dickerson...im thinking at least 1 of those guys has a good shot of stepping up and having a solid year, especially as a 7 hitter.
8. Hanigan/Hernandez

I think thats a really solid lineup, mixed with both solid vets (cabrera, Rolen, Hernandez), guys in their prime (Votto, Phillips), and young potential studs (stubbs, bruce, Heisey, Francisco, Hanigan).

Then pitching is pretty solid too...Harang and Arroyo, while not that great, will eat up innings if healthy and can contribute for 10+ wins. Wont do anything special, but can be ok pitchers.
I think Cueto is gonna have a real good year, Bailey will be better. Volquez hopefully comes back strong. Who knows about Chapman. Bullpen is still pretty solid.

We can compete THIS year if we make this move.

Without him I think we are missing a link at SS.

If we dont get him, I say go with Frasier, but I bet they go with Janish which will drive me nuts.

[quote name='JC' date='29 January 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1264797352' post='860672']
Screw signing Cabrera. Lets get Johnny Damon. I know he plays right field and so does Jay, but move Jay back to center and put Johnny out there. He is still playing at a high level.
[/quote]

Drew Stubbs plays center...Id take Damon for LF but not at the price he wants.

OCabrera will be a huge upgrade at a weak weak spot.

Dont you know who our starting SS is right now?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='29 January 2010 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1264802176' post='860691']
Drew Stubbs plays center...Id take Damon for LF but not at the price he wants.

OCabrera will be a huge upgrade at a weak weak spot.

Dont you know who our starting SS is right now?
[/quote]
Janish. I would be more than glad to plug Damon into our outfield and let Janish bat 7th or 8th while we plug Damon in the two hole. Just me though.

I don't know. I wish we wouldn't have traded Jerry though.

[quote name='JC' date='29 January 2010 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1264810630' post='860721']
Janish. I would be more than glad to plug Damon into our outfield and let Janish bat 7th or 8th while we plug Damon in the two hole. Just me though.

I don't know. I wish we wouldn't have traded Jerry though.
[/quote]

No offense but I dont know whats worse saying you wish we wouldnt have traded jerry or that you are fine with Janish as our starting SS.

Sorry but I hate them both.

cabrera should be a red today.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='30 January 2010 - 02:55 AM' timestamp='1264838146' post='860763']
No offense but I dont know whats worse saying you wish we wouldnt have traded jerry or that you are fine with Janish as our starting SS.

Sorry but I hate them both.
[/quote]

agree completely. both suck ass. and you can add damon to that too. i would be done with this team if they signed damons shitty ass.

Looks like Gomes might be back too...

I think we could have a pretty good year this year...80 some wins, and if we stay healthy could make a run.

Need decent years out of Arroyo and/or Harang. And need either Cueto and/or Homer to start dominating. Hopefully Volquez can make some sort of an impact at some point this year.

[quote name='CTA513' date='30 January 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1264912635' post='860886']
Reds are rumored to have signed him for 1 year at $3 million with option for a 2nd year at the same price.
[/quote]
it is official..great to see the FO making moves to have this team compete with the other teams..I think we are finally going to see a decent team the whole year and not just half.

Done deal...getting a lil excited for baseball

Gomes might be in too...

I would be happy wtih a lineup of...

1. Stubbs
2. Cabrera
3. Votto
4. Phillips
5. Rolen
6. Bruce
7. Gomes/Dickerson
8. Hernandez/Hanigan

Pretty solid throughout, some vets, some young guns, some guys in their prime.

I think if Gomes comes back that means Heisey/Frasier and gang will start in the minors and could be called up if there are injuries or we fall out of the race.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='31 January 2010 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1264972788' post='860935']
id like to see us trade a LF, Arroyo and a prospect to upgrade an OF spot.
[/quote]

I wouldnt be against that, but I doubt that many teams want arroyo with his big contract....they would want us to eat a lot of his contract, which I dont think would happen.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='31 January 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1264982175' post='860941']
I wouldnt be against that, but I doubt that many teams want arroyo with his big contract....they would want us to eat a lot of his contract, which I dont think would happen.
[/quote]

well i would eat that contract if thats what it took and teams have come to us for him before and we keep holding onto his dumb useless, cancerous ass.

Wow. Is Al Davis running the A's now? Or did Billy Bean find some magic in Taveras' OBP?

This trade reminds me a lot of getting rid of Ryan Freel for Ramon Hernandez, except that we are ditching Taveras [i]and[/i] Rosales and picking up someone a little less spectacular. Then there's this:
[quote]In spring training of 2000, several of his teammates from the Houston Astros organization were in their hotel when two gunmen burst into their room. Miles was in the next room and the gunmen took him hostage. The police arrived before the gunmen were able to take him to their getaway car, but one gunman fled the scene. The other forced Miles back into his room where he ended up wrestling the gunman to the ground. The police entered the room and shot the gunman while Miles held him to the floor. The gunman survived his wounds, and his accomplice was later captured.[/quote]

So taht's always a good talent to have...

Haha yes!!!!!

Those guys might be two of the worst players on our roster. I applaud Rosales hussle, but he isnt a major league player.

Frees up some money, which is really the only reason why we did this. But it also means stubbs will play full time at CF and dusty wont be tempted to play wily t if stubbs starts off slow.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/37.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/morning1.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/schla15.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/boring.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/685.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smileyfart.gif[/img]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='01 February 2010 - 03:12 PM' timestamp='1265055159' post='861064']
Haha yes!!!!!

Those guys might be two of the worst players on our roster. I applaud Rosales hussle, but he isnt a major league player.

[b]Frees up some money[/b], which is really the only reason why we did this. But it also means stubbs will play full time at CF and dusty wont be tempted to play wily t if stubbs starts off slow.
[/quote]

Yeah, this was a salary dump. I wonder if this is a prelude to something else? Or JUST a salary dump.

Archived