Elizabeth Warren knocks it out of the park!!!

Jamie_B

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/13/elizabeth-warren-senate_n_6149454.html

WASHINGTON -- Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) gained a leadership position in the Senate Democratic caucus Thursday, giving the prominent progressive senator a key role in shaping the party's policy priorities.

Warren's new role, which was created specifically for her, will be strategic policy adviser to the Democratic Policy and Communications Committee, helping to craft the party's policy positions and priorities. She will also serve as a liaison to progressive groups to ensure they have a voice in leadership meetings and discussions, according to a source familiar with the role.

A source close to Warren told The Huffington Post that the senator was interested in the position because she wanted to have a seat at the table in the leadership meetings in order to influence the agenda.

Sources told HuffPost that Warren had the strong support of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), who wanted her as part of his team. Warren's presence in the weekly leadership meetings and her role helping to shape the caucus' policies are significant for progressives.

Reid's support for Warren also underscores his desire to push progressive policies in the next Congress, a priority his office has confirmed.

"If the ballot measure results are any indication, actual progressive policies remain popular with voters in red and blue states. I believe you’ll see a Senate Democratic caucus fight on behalf of those policies and provide the votes if and when Republicans are ready to act," Faiz Shakir, a senior adviser to Reid, told HuffPost earlier this month.

After the midterm elections, Warren wrote an op-ed in The Washington Post that called on Congress and the administration to move forward with progressive proposals instead of cutting deals simply for the sake of passing laws.

• 3 weeks later...

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/03/news/economy/elizabeth-warren-obama-nominee/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Senator Elizabeth Warren has found 105,000 allies in her latest fight with her own party.

A progressive group called CREDO says it has obtained that many signatures to an online petition against President Obama's nomination of Antonio Weiss to a key Treasury Department role.

Warren took the unusual step of bashing a nominee from her party when she came out last month against Weiss, the global head of investment banking for the financial firm Lazard. (He was also an important fund-raiser for the president.)

Weiss is tainted by his Wall Street experience, Warren said. She also takes exception to his background in international finance, which she says is not a qualification to be under secretary for domestic finance.

Weiss' supporters dispute Warren's claims. New York Times columnist Andrew Ross Sorkin recently argued the job requires the "deep experience in the capital markets and global relationships" that Weiss brings. Plus, he said, Weiss' work wasn't at one of the banks typically criticized for a role in the financial crisis.

The petition calls for supporters to "stand with Elizabeth Warren" and echoes her claims, including her criticism of Weiss for his work on tax-saving international mergers known as corporate inversions, which she and others say rip off U.S. taxpayers.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/politics/move-on-org/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Washington (CNN) -- Sen. Elizabeth Warren may repeatedly say she isn't running for president in 2016, but don't tell that to the nation's largest liberal grassroots organization.

MoveOn.org, an 8-million member liberal grassroots organization, is poised to kick off a $1 million campaign to draft Warren for president in 2016. The plan will be put to MoveOn members Tuesday morning, but because of the Massachusetts senator's popularity with the liberals, the plan is expected to easily pass.

The campaign includes MoveOn.org opening offices and hiring staff in Iowa and New Hampshire, two states that are critically important in the presidential nomination process, and "the assembly of a national volunteer army ready to go to work if Sen. Warren enters the race."

If passed, MoveOn will also begin producing "ads and media products that call attention to how Sen. Warren has stood up and fought for the middle class and her powerful vision for our country's future."

"There is too much at stake to have anything other than our best candidates in the debate," Ilya Sheyman, executive director of MoveOn.org Political Action, said in a statement. "We are prepared to show Senator Warren she has the support she needs to enter—and win—the presidential race."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/warren-leads-liberal-democrats-rebellion-over-provisions-in-1-trillion-spending-bill/2014/12/10/c5c915e4-80b5-11e4-9f38-95a187e4c1f7_story.html?hpid=z1

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), a popular figure on the left, led the insurrection with a speech on the Senate floor, calling the $1.01 trillion spending bill “the worst of government for the rich and powerful.”

Warren urged House Democrats to withhold their support from the measure in a vote scheduled for Thursday. But the fear of shutting down federal agencies for the second time in just over a year appeared to weigh more heavily on Democratic leaders than liberal outrage.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Whip Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) both expressed concerns about the measure but were not mobilizing members to vote against it.

Meanwhile, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said that “it is certainly possible that the president could sign this piece of legislation,” even though it would undo a pillar of the Dodd-Frank financial regulatory overhaul by freeing banks to more readily trade the exotic investments known as derivatives. The legislation ranks among the administration’s biggest domestic achievements.

Elizabeth Warren won the week in Washington http://washex.am/1zeUZoe 

Even before the fate of Thursday’s fight over a government spending bill was known, it was clear that Elizabeth Warren was the week’s winner.

The first-term Massachusetts senator demonstrated the power she wields in the Democratic Party by rallying liberals on multiple fronts during the week. She led House Democrats to risk a government shutdown over a roll-back of the Dodd-Frank financial reform law while also ginning up opposition to Obama's nominee to a Treasury post.

“She’s rising in stature the longer she’s in Washington and taking on these leadership roles, and taking on Reid and Obama can only help her,” said Jeremy Mayer, a political scientist at George Mason’s School of Public Policy. “What we saw this week is that Liz Warren is going to establish a role as scourge of Wall Street, and that is going to play extremely well with the Democratic base.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/12/elizabeth-warren-citigroup-bill_n_6318446.html?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000033

WASHINGTON - As promised, Elizabeth Warren has left blood and teeth on the floor.

During the final debate over the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in 2010, before Warren was a senator, she was asked about an attempt to defang the unborn agency. "My first choice is a strong consumer agency. My second choice is no agency at all and plenty of blood and teeth left on the floor,” she said at the time, comments that were unsuccessfully used against her in her subsequent campaign.

This week, she fought to keep a major Wall Street giveaway out of a must-pass spending bill and by Friday night it was clear the fight was lost. So Warren, a Massachusetts Democrat, took the Senate floor and unleashed a haymaker on Wall Street giant Citigroup that will leave a mark for an awfully long time.

After listing the top Citi executives who have gone on to work in the Obama administration, she addressed Citi directly, noting that she agreed that Wall Street reform wasn’t perfect. “I agree with you. Dodd-Frank isn’t perfect. It should have broken you into pieces,” she said.

http://ht.ly/FXnzL

WASHINGTON -

Donald Trump said he's seriously considering running for president and will decide by May 2015. In an exclusive interview Monday night in Washington, I asked Trump to give me his opinion on his possible opponents for  2016.

The real estate mogul gave had some tough words for Democrats and Republicans in the field.

Hillary Clinton, former Secretary of State:
Trump: “Know her well. Not going to be as easy as people think for her to get the nomination.”

Jeb Bush, former governor of Florida:
“The last thing we need is another Bush.”

Elizabeth Warren, Massachusetts senator (D)
“Has really come on strong with her group of people-- the liberals. If she runs, she's going to be a very formidable opponent for Hillary. I think it's going to be very tough for Hillary. Hillary's favored, but it's not going to be easy.”

Mitt Romney: former Republican presidential nominee
“Mitt lost the last time. He should have won. He should not run again.”

Joe Biden: vice president
“I just don't hear him being mentioned anymore. I actually like him as a person. I just don't hear him being mentioned in this group of people.”

Chris Christie: New Jersey governor
“He's got to get rid of his difficulties. There was a story the other day that continues to go on. He's a friend of mine. He's a good guy. And I hope all of that stuff disappears soon.”

Ted Cruz: Texas senator (R)
“I like him. Another one I like. Most of these people are friends of mine. But Ted Cruz says he's born in Canada. If you say you're born in another country, in theory, you're not supposed to be able to run. I think that's a real obstacle for him.”

Rand Paul:  Kentucky senator (R)
“I know him. I've been with him. I like him. He's got some very common sense positions . And I think he also will be formidable.”

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2558304

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., said Wednesday that raising the federal minimum wage was an important issue for her because her mother once worked one of those jobs to keep her family afloat.

"This is personal for me," Warren said at a forum on the minimum wage hosted by the AFL-CIO labor federation at Gallaudet University. She related how, at age 12, her father had a heart attack that "turned our little family upside down" and put it in a financial hole.

"The bills piled up. We lost the family station wagon. We came about that close to losing our home. I remember the day my mother, scared, crying, pulled her best dress out of the closet, put it on, put on her high heels to walk to Sears to get a minimum wage job. That minimum-wage job was enough — back then — to support a family of three," Warren said.

The experience taught her to believe in America, adding: "That is the America I am going to fight for."

She would be a great president. But can you imagine how little would get done then. The republicans, the most obstructionist congress ever might just never show up to work. Just keep going to lobbyist meetings and keep telling their ignorant bases how dangerous minorities and liberals are. Keep allowing income inequality to gap and just set up their next job, lobbyist. 

It was the republicans though.  They wanted to repeal the affordable care act and were willing to shut down the government to make their point.  The only real problem I have is the fact they don't own it.

It takes two to tango. I'm surprised that the dems aren't owning the stubbornness on Obama's side. The republicans are being blamed for not buckling. The reps won't give Obama what he wants so they are accused of being difficult. They are holding America hostage because they won't give Obama whatever he wants.

It's like when a pro athlete tells the fans to blame the owners for him not being signed. Even if he is asking for a ridiculous amount of money.

She would be a great president. But can you imagine how little would get done then. The republicans, the most obstructionist congress ever might just never show up to work. Just keep going to lobbyist meetings and keep telling their ignorant bases how dangerous minorities and liberals are. Keep allowing income inequality to gap and just set up their next job, lobbyist. 

Obama still didn't get anything done when he had the house and senate. The stuff that he blames the reps for obstructing is the same stuff he couldn't push through when the dems had full power.

Obama still didn't get anything done when he had the house and senate. The stuff that he blames the reps for obstructing is the same stuff he couldn't push through when the dems had full power.

They were obstructing then too. Weren't you paying attention?

It takes two to tango. I'm surprised that the dems aren't owning the stubbornness on Obama's side. The republicans are being blamed for not buckling. The reps won't give Obama what he wants so they are accused of being difficult. They are holding America hostage because they won't give Obama whatever he wants.

It's like when a pro athlete tells the fans to blame the owners for him not being signed. Even if he is asking for a ridiculous amount of money.

Ridiculous amounts of money=healthcare for poor people. 

Archived