The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class

Jamie_B

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='GoBengals' date='07 February 2010 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1265559934' post='861916']
so why did you post an hour long video and nothing else? no opinion? no starting point for any type of conversation?

i dont get it..
[/quote]

i mean where do you start? there is alot of info there.

for instance i found it interesting that even in the age of the so called "McMansion" we only have less than two more rooms to the house than we did a generation ago.

that our flexable spending items have actually decreased in spending over a generation, and the only three areas of increased spending are taxes, car, and house. taxes and car being the obvious since women have larger roles in the workforce and added a 2nd car and 2nd income. However the housing price increase as this was a 2 year old video showed the oncoming bubble imo. I'd be interested in her data now.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 February 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1265561819' post='861924']
i mean where do you start? there is alot of info there.

for instance i found it interesting that even in the age of the so called "McMansion" we only have less than two more rooms to the house than we did a generation ago.

that our flexable spending items have actually decreased in spending over a generation, and the only three areas of increased spending are taxes, car, and house. taxes and car being the obvious since women have larger roles in the workforce and added a 2nd car and 2nd income. However the housing price increase as this was a 2 year old video showed the oncoming bubble imo. I'd be interested in her data now.
[/quote]

# of rooms is kind of masking reality, and even sq feet would be somewhat deceiving, my grandparents house, is a 3 bedroom 2 bath, however two of the bedrooms are only SLIGHTLY bigger than my walk in closet. and their closets MAY hold my coat and a pair of shoes.

i can reach up and touch the ceiling in their family room, and mine are 9 foot ceilings..

not to mention money spent on entertainment these days.. ipods, computers.. how many computers per household in 1970? zero.

how many today? for a family of four.. probably 4. and 3-4 ipods and 4 cell phones for damn sure. thats probably $500 a month in spending on things people didnt need or even exist back then..

with mom working shes not home with the kids so you need to keep tabs on the kids and mom and so on..

seems like you would get similar data comparing 1890 to 2005, converting 3 chickens = $15,000 cash today and log cabins pricing vs todays housing...

but the world is different.. there are more utilities, internet cost, how much were people paying for internet access and HD tv packages in 1970? probbly $150 a month MINIMUM now.. not to mention the monthly cost aside from the equipment cost of those cell phones i mentioned..

she IS comparing apples to apples but completely ignoring the oranges and bananas that most familes "require" for every day living these days.

i am the typicaly family she mentions, husband, wife two kids, mom works (and brings home the bacon hells yeah!) so net income lets say in $4300 a month we have 4 cell phones, home internet, mobile internet(aircard) xbox 360, wii, games and accessories for those, 2 blu ray players, 2x $1500-1800 notebooks, my 4 yr old has a dell notebook,

monthly costs of the above things averaged out is about $650/month, thats over 10% of the net income spent on just those few things that werent factors in 1970. and are made possible by the 2nd income.

there are lots of great points made in this, especially about savings.. where families were saving 10-15% back then and arent saving shit now and then going into debt o top of it, which credit cards did. that boom is over now too, and honestly i havent saved shit, and we just friday started tossing about 8% of our paychecks into a savings account, and started another for our kids college fund,

also i dont buy the food expense numbers, its seemingly impossible that it hasnt gone up, perhaps for the family getting mcdonalds and burger king all the time, but theres no way in 1970 they were spending the equvilant of $40 dollars today on a meal pretty much daily. my family spends about $1700 on food each month. we both eat out fr lunch, and family typically eats out for dinner 20-25 times a month.

and i agree id like to see the numbers today.. but more importantly id like to see them in 2012, once the housing stabilizes and credit cards/debt does the same, cards have been lowering peoples limits and are harder to get credit all over, so the debt there is going to be minimal.. if i could get it, id have another 15 grand in debt easily.. but i have about $300 in debt currently..

2007 was roughly the peak of the inflation of housing credit debt and the fake economic boom we had, right before the utter collapse of it all... so the numbers are inflated to even todays reality let alone the reality thats yet to come in 2011 and 2012..

and as for housing cost then vs now is she considering whats actually paid for it or the selling price of the house.. cause as she mentioned interest rates were higher back then.. so 10% of a $100k house and 4% of a $180k house is a huge difference...

still lots of gray area in her numbers, and some ignored expenses and cultural changes.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='07 February 2010 - 01:30 PM' timestamp='1265567444' post='861960']
also i dont buy the food expense numbers, its seemingly impossible that it hasnt gone up, perhaps for the family getting mcdonalds and burger king all the time, but theres no way in 1970 they were spending the equvilant of [b]$40 dollars[/b] today on a meal pretty much daily. my family spends about $1700 on food each month. we both eat out fr lunch, and family typically eats out for dinner 20-25 times a month.
[/quote]

Of course, $40 in 2008 was equivalent to $7.15 in 1970.....[url="http://www.westegg.com/inflation/"]inflation calculators[/url] are scary!!

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Quaker' date='25 February 2010 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1267085923' post='865260']
$1700 on food...per month?

Thats a lot of fuckin' money to spend on food in a month.

20-25 dinners out? A month? Out of 30 Days?
[/quote]

That's what I was going to say. Damn, we're lucky to eat out as a family once or twice a month. Its just too expensive. Its bad enough eating fast food for lunch on most days...

[quote name='Quaker' date='25 February 2010 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1267085923' post='865260']
$1700 on food...per month?

Thats a lot of fuckin' money to spend on food in a month.

20-25 dinners out? A month? Out of 30 Days?
[/quote]
That is a lot - we're probably closer to $500 a month and probably eat out once a week.

With two teenagers and school activities, we don't have many sit down meals either, maybe once a week. The wife buys a lot of frozen stuff and heats up as everyone's schedule dictates.

Archived