iPad

mongo

[img]http://img.skitch.com/20100129-guh9tswi8gxhe16j8si44a2b5k.jpg[/img]

Well this is the geek forum, so I thought I'd make a post to see what people's initial reactions are to this thing. I am intrigued, but not sold yet. The iPad has a 9.7" screen, is .5" thick, and weighs 1.5 lbs. It comes with or without 3G capabilities, in sizes ranging from 16 to 64 gigs. Pricing for the iPad ranges from $499 to $829. I'm not sure I get the data particulars. It says it's unlocked, but uses GSM SIM cards, and doesn't appear to be compatible with T-Mobile's 3G... Doesn't that mostly limit it to AT&T here in the States? AT&T is offering two, contract free plans: A $15 a month plan that caps at 250MB, and an "unlimited" plan for $30 a month.

Things I like about it:

[list][*]I like the size. It's big enough to get stuff done, and enjoy movies while traveling, but not so big you really have to plan around fitting it into a bag.[*]I like what I've seen of the speed. There seems to be enough under the hood to make the tasks it will do seem natural.[*]I like that it will run iphone apps (it really had to, didn't it?).[*]I think it has good space options for the kind of computing it's intended for (I don't want my entire itunes library/video library on it, so 32 or 64 gigs is good).[*]I think the pricing for the device is competitive.[*]I really like the contract free plans. In town, I might not use more than 250MB of wireless data, so $15 isn't too bad (a little skimpy...). I love that I can just pay $30 for a single month when traveling.[*]Having an instant on device for quick use is great. As fast as computers are these days, it's still a pain to pull out a laptop, start it up, fire up a browser, and find the menu to that restaurant.[/list]

Things that I'm not sure about:

[list][*]I find the screen puzzling. Almost everything today, Apple or otherwise, has moved on to some sort of widescreen aspect ratio. Why the return to 4:3? It looks....old.[*]Reading. iBooks are neat, but on a backlit display? Kindle uses e-ink for a reason. It doesn't give you migraines when you spend a couple hours reading.[*]Multitasking. I'm one who bets it will be in there with OS 4.0, but you really need it. I need to be able to have the internet and music going when writing a paper or creating a presentation.[*]Apps. Will the apps be pushed from the novelty of iPhone apps to the real apps you'd find on a normal computer? Or at least, robust lite versions of normal apps.[*]No camera. I don't use one, but I think someone needs to make an add-on. Enough people will want to video chat/conference that it could be the difference between taking a tablet to a meeting and taking a laptop.[*]Battery. 10 hours isn't bad, but is that 10 real hours, or 10 magic Apple hours? If it's 10 hours of email, but 4 hours of video....[*][color="#8B0000"]**edit** I forgot to mention I want to know there will be some sort of bluetooth-ed printing solutions from the iPad. Nothing has been mentioned, but things like the iWork suite won't be very useful if I can't print what I've made.[/color][*][color="#8B0000"]**edit** I'd like to see it untethered to another computer (eventually). As it stands, updates will require the user to sync it to the iTunes on a "real" computer. I'd like to see that change down the road.[/color][/list]

All in all, I'm intrigued enough to buy one when they hit the stores. I think the potential is there to have a real place in my home. I think it could very quickly put my laptop on a shelf and keep it there. I have the Mac Pro for all of the heavy lifting, but having a tablet for travel, and lounging in front of the TV would be great. In my dream world, I could take this with me on my travels, pull my photos into it after each excursion, manipulate the photos with a Lightroom-esque application in the evenings, and then dump them all onto my desktop with a quick sync when I get back into town... We'll have to wait and see on that.

I will say that with the apps questions I have, I suspect the solution will necessitate the elimination of the $.99 app phenomenon of iPhone apps. These will have to be robust enough not to be time wasters, but real world applications. If you give me Lightroom or Aperture on an iPad, and easy syncing with my desktop, I should pay.

What say you all?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='29 January 2010 - 02:10 PM' timestamp='1264792243' post='860647']
[media][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5DYuVN6nuY&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded[/url][/media]
[/quote]

It doesn't do anything for me. Perhaps it's just the demo, but the tablet portion of the thing truly looks like it's limited to media. It looks like if you want to "compute" at all, you have to plug it into the intel cpu portion. Then, it appears to simply become a heavy netbook.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='29 January 2010 - 02:07 PM' timestamp='1264792073' post='860643']
[img]http://missionimpossibleinfertile.files.wordpress.com/2007/11/ipad.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Mac's iPad... the last name in technology, period. :music_mini:

intriguing... but not sold. for anyone not worried about that size being an issue - you must carry around a man purse. 10" long? That makes it no different from a laptop from the standpoint of you still having to account for a bag / case, etc. to haul it around in and an additional "thing" you have to tote. Women with a decent purse can handle it... men, not so much.

No camera and the lack of wireless, until April, sucks.

I think it is slick, just haven't seen a valid reason for me personally to have it instead of my iTouch.

To be clear, all will come equipped with WiFi, and start shipping in March. The 3G models are a month behind and coming out in April.

As a question to those disappointed in no camera, I'd love to know what you want it for. I use the camera on my iphone to take pictures when I don't have a real camera. With the camera on my laptop, I think I took some silly pictures a couple of times, and did a video chat with my niece and nephew once. Aside from the expansion slot on my laptop (which Apple has replaced in current models with an SD reader), I think the camera may be the least used "feature" on my computer. Am I missing out?

I dont see this as being a replacement for a lptop or a phone, but a substitute for potentially either in some scenarios.

like right now, im at work, with my 15" macbook pro out... id probably catch less shit from management with that thing out.. than this one.. which is rare.. but probably never happen.. AND i could play music and movies easier from it than my ipod at work...

its more of a convenient gadget than a replacement for anything.

most cases i dont NEED my macbook pro, but its all i ahve to take for entertainment... this would be another option..

i would be in line in a sleeping bag if it ran OS X and was a true tablet Mac option... but its just a big ipod basically..

with enough power for running bigger better apps.. but nothing magical...

[quote name='GoBengals' date='29 January 2010 - 04:42 PM' timestamp='1264801365' post='860689']
i would be in line in a sleeping bag if it ran OS X and was a true tablet Mac option... but its just a big ipod basically..

with enough power for running bigger better apps.. but nothing magical...
[/quote]

I'm not sure why OS X is important if the tablet will run the apps you want it to run. Is it the filing system that's important? Is it just that you could buy all of the apps you have on your MBP and not worry about if an iPad version is coming?

Seems like a big iPod touch for a lot more money to me.

Where's the innovation here?

No USB, LAN, expansion ports, no card reader, no flash support!, no video output and no multitasking, all for two to three times the price of a netbook.

Seems like an expensive toy more than anything. If you got the cash by all means, but seems next to useless.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='29 January 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1264802980' post='860694']

No USB, LAN, expansion ports, no card reader, no flash support!, no video output and no multitasking, all for two to three times the price of a netbook.

Seems like an expensive toy more than anything. If you got the cash by all means, but seems next to useless.
[/quote]

There are 30pin accessories for USB, SD card reader, and video output. Multitasking is expected with OS 4.0. So the real issue seems to be price and flash...

I think the price ultimately will come down to the apps that come out for it. If the apps aren't more robust than iPhone apps, then the iPad is just a big iPod touch. If, however, the apps utilize the hardware well, then I think the price becomes very reasonable.

I've never understood why flash is a big deal not to have. I've built Flash sites, Flash animation, and even a couple Flash applications. It's a total pig, and not something I enjoyed (as the creator or the user). Is it really Flash that you want, or access to Hulu (or whatever Flash intensive site)? Personally, I find that not having Flash on my iPhone means fewer ads on websites. Is there something cool I'm missing out on with flash?

**edit: forgot you mentioned no LAN. What do you mean by that? No ethernet port?

[quote name='mongo' date='29 January 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1264802867' post='860693']
I'm not sure why OS X is important if the tablet will run the apps you want it to run. Is it the filing system that's important? Is it just that you could buy all of the apps you have on your MBP and not worry about if an iPad version is coming?
[/quote]

yea just running VLC player for other video formats, vuze, ftp stuff, etc..

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='29 January 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1264802980' post='860694']

[/quote]

not a huge price different really..a 32GB ipod touch is $400.

who said it was anything other than an expensive toy? what else would it be ?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='29 January 2010 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1264806782' post='860709']
deleted post, so I'll edit this out as well.
[/quote]

While it's true he said that, and that the implication is that the iPad will do some things better that an iPhone or a laptop, the quote is a bit out of context. What he was saying was that netbooks aren't really better at anything than other computing options. Because they are cheap, underpowered computers, running full blown operating systems (badly), they don't excel at anything. They'll do some stuff, but it's all a shadow of what people can do with a laptop. The netbook is simply lighter, smaller, and cheap.

I think the angle here is that with an OS designed for a tablet, you can squeeze a lot more power out of it. My understanding is that netbooks don't play the quality of video that the iPad will, can't really be used for games the way the iPad will, struggle with Flash anyway, and really can't compete with the experience. Now they certainly have points for them (full OS, cheap, no reliance on an Apple App approval system), I won't deny that. I think Apple is trying to create something that will offer more usable power than a netbook, with an interface my mother couldn't screw up.

To set it straight. I'm intending to purchase one of the medium models of the iPad and to see what evolves from it. I think it's different, has enough hardware inside to give the app developers significant opportunities, and could prove to be quite handy... It could also be worthless. :) This thing will flop hugely if companies develop for it like it's just a big iPod.

[quote name='mongo' date='29 January 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1264808320' post='860712']
While it's true he said that, and that the implication is that the iPad will do some things better that an iPhone or a laptop, the quote is a bit out of context. What he was saying was that netbooks aren't really better at anything than other computing options. Because they are cheap, underpowered computers, running full blown operating systems (badly), they don't excel at anything. They'll do some stuff, but it's all a shadow of what people can do with a laptop. The netbook is simply lighter, smaller, and cheap.

I think the angle here is that with an OS designed for a tablet, you can squeeze a lot more power out of it. My understanding is that netbooks don't play the quality of video that the iPad will, can't really be used for games the way the iPad will, struggle with Flash anyway, and really can't compete with the experience. Now they certainly have points for them (full OS, cheap, no reliance on an Apple App approval system), I won't deny that. I think Apple is trying to create something that will offer more usable power than a netbook, with an interface my mother couldn't screw up.

To set it straight. I'm intending to purchase one of the medium models of the iPad and to see what evolves from it. I think it's different, has enough hardware inside to give the app developers significant opportunities, and could prove to be quite handy... It could also be worthless. :) This thing will flop hugely if companies develop for it like it's just a big iPod.
[/quote]

I actually deleted it because I'd seen the quote in a few articles taken out of context and then finally saw the full context of it. (of course after I'd hit the enter post button >_>)

[quote name='CincyInDC' date='29 January 2010 - 07:22 PM' timestamp='1264810956' post='860723']
http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/ipad-made-me-poop-bricks

[img]http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/1/ipad1.jpg[/img]

click [url="http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/ipad-made-me-poop-bricks"]link[/url] for the rest.
[/quote]

[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d190/bucari88/12646285031264628274705.jpg[/img]

[quote name='mongo' date='29 January 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1264798529' post='860678']
To be clear, all will come equipped with WiFi, and start shipping in March. The 3G models are a month behind and coming out in April.

As a question to those disappointed in no camera, I'd love to know what you want it for. I use the camera on my iphone to take pictures when I don't have a real camera. With the camera on my laptop, I think I took some silly pictures a couple of times, and did a video chat with my niece and nephew once. Aside from the expansion slot on my laptop (which Apple has replaced in current models with an SD reader), I think the camera may be the least used "feature" on my computer. Am I missing out?
[/quote]

My bad... I said wireless in my post... I mean cellular / 3G. I knew it had wifi right off.

I still stand by my thoughts and essentially that which Go and CT said. It doesn't replace the need for a true laptop.

It is truly a luxury item that if you have $500-$900 of cash just laying around have at it. I just know that for my use, etc. I wouldn't benefit any more from it than I do with my iTouch now. And, I'll keep my laptop - in the instances that I actually need that sort of functionality...

Do I see myself walking into Panera bread, getting my bagel and coffee, and sitting down and pulling this iPad out of who knows what I'm carrying it in (my man purse I guess), and scanning through the paper online, etc. (I can carry my iTouch or blackberry in my pocket and see whatever I need online).

Nope - I just don't do that... I'm not yuppy enough. Others - that is exactly what they enjoy and will get it for. More power to them. Opinions were asked for - why argue them? They're opinions...

In my humble opinion, if Mac really wants to get innovative today... get the damn iPhone to Verizon on the LTE network, NOW. They want to see profit skyrocket... tap into the largest cellular provider in America and open yourself immediately to over 70 million Verizon customers... and, all that would be on a 4G network that would have SIGNIFICANTLY more coverage area that AT&T's does now... again, just my .02.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='29 January 2010 - 05:44 PM' timestamp='1264805078' post='860701']
yea just running VLC player for other video formats, vuze, ftp stuff, etc..

[b]not a huge price different really..a 32GB ipod touch is $400.[/b]

who said it was anything other than an expensive toy? what else would it be ?
[/quote]

32Gb in the iTouch... $299
64Gb in the iTouch... $399

16Gb in the iPad... $499 for wifi only, $629 for wifi & 3G
32Gb in the iPad... $599 & $729
64Gb in the iPad... $699 & $829

That is a pretty significant difference in price...I can get an iTouch with twice the memory, very similar functionality - just a smaller screen for almost half the price... that to me is relatively "huge".

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eF0y0IfpPU[/media]

The first thing my wife (who really wants one of these {the actual iPad, not the thing in the skit}) said is "Why the fuck did they name this after a feminine hygiene product?"

Jeez...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='29 January 2010 - 09:18 PM' timestamp='1264817929' post='860741']
My bad... I said wireless in my post... I mean cellular / 3G. I knew it had wifi right off.

I still stand by my thoughts and essentially that which Go and CT said. It doesn't replace the need for a true laptop.

It is truly a luxury item that if you have $500-$900 of cash just laying around have at it. I just know that for my use, etc. I wouldn't benefit any more from it than I do with my iTouch now. And, I'll keep my laptop - in the instances that I actually need that sort of functionality...[/quote]

I guess I'd like to know more about what defines a true laptop to you, and what functionality you need that isn't possible with an iPad.

[quote]Do I see myself walking into Panera bread, getting my bagel and coffee, and sitting down and pulling this iPad out of who knows what I'm carrying it in (my man purse I guess), and scanning through the paper online, etc. (I can carry my iTouch or blackberry in my pocket and see whatever I need online).

Nope - I just don't do that... I'm not yuppy enough. Others - that is exactly what they enjoy and will get it for. More power to them. Opinions were asked for - why argue them? They're opinions...[/quote]

A few things jump to mind here:

Are you the kind of person to go to Panera, get a bagel and a coffee, and sit down with your iPod Touch or Blackberry? If not, then I wouldn't suggest it with an iPad anyway.
Why do you need a man purse? Is it not possible to carry it as you would a book, magazine, or newspaper?

I wouldn't take it to Panera for coffee and a bagel either, but I don't go to Panera for that stuff anyway. The volunteer work I do has biweekly meetings at a bar. I would be very happy using the tablet instead of a notepad or laptop. When I get something to eat by myself at BW3's or someplace like that, I'd be perfectly happy using an iPad instead of my iphone, or a book... Your opinions are certainly valid, and I get them on some level. I had a hard time separating the Birkenstock brand from the tie-dyed, stinky wangs I tended to see wearing them. I also know that when I did evaluate the shoe as a shoe, and left out the perceptions, it was quite comfortable.

[quote]In my humble opinion, if Mac really wants to get innovative today... get the damn iPhone to Verizon on the LTE network, NOW. They want to see profit skyrocket... tap into the largest cellular provider in America and open yourself immediately to over 70 million Verizon customers... and, all that would be on a 4G network that would have SIGNIFICANTLY more coverage area that AT&T's does now... again, just my .02.
[/quote]

I would challenge that what you want isn't innovation, but expansion. I would also say it will come in June with the next iPhone, and can't be done NOW. Making it available to CDMA networks means different hardware, and changing hardware to allow for the Verizon network isn't something you do at the end of a product cycle...

On a related note, I think that having AT&T onboard from day one with the iPad, and their absolute certainty that they can handle the bandwidth usage of the iPad, is proof that the next iPhone will be available through multiple carriers. I think they know they're losing exclusivity, and that their network is going to be much less burdened this summer than even last summer.

A good summary of everything that sucks about the iPad:
[url="http://gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad"]http://gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad[/url]

Here's a great explanation of why the aspect ratio is the way it is:
[url="http://lonelysandwich.com/post/356618660/ipad-giggle-aspect-ratio"]http://lonelysandwich.com/post/356618660/ipad-giggle-aspect-ratio[/url]
Basically, it's meant to be held in 3:4 orientation like an ebook reader, not 4:3 like a TV. Also, when held in that configuration and divided in two lengthwise, the aspect ratio of each half is exactly the same as the iPhone/iPod Touch aspect ratio. So, it effect, it's two iPhone screens put together.

Archived