iPad

mongo

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='30 January 2010 - 10:19 AM' timestamp='1264864796' post='860791']
A good summary of everything that sucks about the iPad:
[url="http://gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad"]http://gizmodo.com/5...-about-the-ipad[/url][/quote]

LOL Yeah, that dude is not a fan. :) He makes some great points. Some aren't as clear cut, and I disagree with one or two:

[size=3][b]Big, Ugly Bezel[/b][/size]

[size=3]I agree it's not the prettiest bezel, but I don't see a way around it. On a multitouch display, you do need someplace to put your thumbs... Maybe if it wasn't combined with a 4:3 screen. I think the combination heightens the aesthetic awkwardness of both.[/size]

[size=3][b]No Multitasking[/b][/size]

[size=3]I'd bet the farm it will have multitasking with OS 4.0 at the next iPhone release. As it is, he can at least listen to iTunes while surfing the internet... I do like Pandora though.[/size]

[size=3][b]No Cameras[/b][/size]

[size=3]I don't need a camera, but I agree here. As much effort as Apple has been putting into making the iPhone business viable, you'd think they'd extend that to video conferencing on a tablet.[/size]

[size=3][b]Touch Keyboard[/b][/size]

[size=3]Kind of a no win here. Touch keyboard, physical keyboard, or stylus and great handwriting recognition seem to be the most viable solutions for any tablet. At least they've provided the options for two of the three.[/size]

[size=3][b]No HDMI Out[/b]
[/size]

[size=3]No HDMI, but you can do Component out. At 720p, Component will work flawlessly.[/size]

[size=3][b]The Name iPad[/b]
[/size]

[size=3]I'm with the group who wanted iSlate or Canvas as the name. iPad is the silliest name since Wii. I got used to Wii, but I shouldn't have had to. [/size]

[size=3][b]No Flash[/b]
[/size]

[size=3]I have such a burning hatred of Flash, I hope Apple products can become important enough to site designers that they will use HTML5, CSS, and whatever else will get rid of it.[/size]

[size=3][b]Adapters, Adapters, Adapters[/b]
[/size]

[size=3]If I had designed it, I'd have put in an SD card reader slot... and maybe a USB slot. The rest seems matter-of-taste enough to warrant adapters.[/size]

[size=3][b]It's Not Widescreen[/b]
[/size]

[size=3]Agree. Very weird. It's a bit like looking at 1990's version of the future.[/size]

[size=3][b]Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G[/b]
[/size]

[size=3]Isn't T-Mobile a bit of the oddball here? I had thought that their 3G was off the norm. I'd complain more that it doesn't appear to support Verizon, which is what I'd go with if they were a possibility (and a similar contract free plan to AT&T)[/size]

[size=3][b]A Closed App Ecosystem[/b]
[/size]

It's really the pro and the con of the OS. As stated buy people smarter than me, open systems are also major reasons to why OS's bog down over a couple of years. Apps rewrite things they shouldn't, take resources needed for other duties, and wind up hurting the performance of the OS and the other applications on the computer. As much as it sucks to develop software that needs Apple approval, it's also good in that Apple makes sure every application is safe from every other application.

[quote]Here's a great explanation of why the aspect ratio is the way it is:
[url="http://lonelysandwich.com/post/356618660/ipad-giggle-aspect-ratio"]http://lonelysandwic...le-aspect-ratio[/url]
Basically, it's meant to be held in 3:4 orientation like an ebook reader, not 4:3 like a TV. Also, when held in that configuration and divided in two lengthwise, the aspect ratio of each half is exactly the same as the iPhone/iPod Touch aspect ratio. So, it effect, it's two iPhone screens put together.
[/quote]

Ah, that makes some sense... Still looks strange though, doesn't it?

[quote]
In my humble opinion, if Mac really wants to get innovative today... get the damn iPhone to Verizon on the LTE network, NOW. They want to see profit skyrocket... tap into the largest cellular provider in America and open yourself immediately to over 70 million Verizon customers... and, all that would be on a 4G network that would have SIGNIFICANTLY more coverage area that AT&T's does now... again, just my .02.[/quote]

The iPhone won't get to Verizon until they open it up for [b]everyone[/b] and the next carrier to get it will be T-Mobile in the US market for two reasons: SIM cards and International Markets.

T-Mobile uses SIM cards as well (and re-engineering them to not use them ain't like plugging in a toaster, folks) and they have a huge international market, particularly in Europe.

My work phone is Verizon and I think their coverage in the US is great. Problem is that their phones are paperweights overseas particularly in Europe.

That's what I'd put money on right now...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='29 January 2010 - 09:30 PM' timestamp='1264818631' post='860745']
32Gb in the iTouch... $299
64Gb in the iTouch... $399

16Gb in the iPad... $499 for wifi only, $629 for wifi & 3G
32Gb in the iPad... $599 & $729
64Gb in the iPad... $699 & $829

That is a pretty significant difference in price...I can get an iTouch with twice the memory, very similar functionality - just a smaller screen for almost half the price... that to me is relatively "huge".
[/quote]

ah yea they did drop the prices when they released the 64GB.....

but "just a smaller screen" is a BIT of an under statement.. dont you think?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='30 January 2010 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1264893942' post='860844']
id rather have an ipod touch or laptop than this. i see no point in it and apples stock dropped $7 after showing it off so i guess most people agree with that.
[/quote]

And their stock dropped more than that after they revealed the iPhone so that doesn't mean a damn thing...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='30 January 2010 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1264894206' post='860846']
And their stock dropped more than that after they revealed the iPhone so that doesn't mean a damn thing...
[/quote]

that was making them NEW to the phone service. this is after something they already have the market grasp on. you cant actually believe this is a good product? id rather have an iphone or laptop than this thing. it does less than both and is inbetween them in size.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='30 January 2010 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1264898390' post='860862']
that was making them NEW to the phone service. this is after something they already have the market grasp on. you cant actually believe this is a good product? id rather have an iphone or laptop than this thing. it does less than both and is inbetween them in size.
[/quote]

Iphone: stock drop

iMac: stock drop

Move to Intel from PPC: Stock drop

MacBook: stock drop

MacBook Pro: stock drop

Every time Apple announces a new product or change, whether a new concept or change to an existing market product, their stock drops. Always has.

And yet it's still the most successful tech company of the last decade.

Not like I'm really excited about this product, but I've been less than excited about earlier ones as well.

I'll trust Steve Jobs over a clueless guy on the internet who has no understanding of the company's history nor of the technology industry in general, thank you very much...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='30 January 2010 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1264893942' post='860844']
id rather have an ipod touch or laptop than this. i see no point in it and [b]apples stock dropped $7 after showing it off so i guess most people agree with that.[/b]
[/quote]

It's really tough to make judgments based on initial stock reactions. A very popular pastime, particularly with Apple, is to start buying stock when the rumors and announcement dates start trickling out, watch the stock rise as the release date nears, and dump it on the day of the event. This year was an especially nice wave to ride because the iPad announcement came on the heels of Apple's record revenue quarter...

Stocks [i]can[/i] show the success or failure of a product, but you need to look much more longterm... especially when talking about a new technology.

[quote name='mongo' date='01 February 2010 - 09:12 AM' timestamp='1265033526' post='861010']
It's really tough to make judgments based on initial stock reactions. A very popular pastime, particularly with Apple, is to start buying stock when the rumors and announcement dates start trickling out, watch the stock rise as the release date nears, and dump it on the day of the event. This year was an especially nice wave to ride because the iPad announcement came on the heels of Apple's record revenue quarter...

Stocks [i]can[/i] show the success or failure of a product, but you need to look much more longterm... especially when talking about a new technology.
[/quote]

i was basing it more on the stock + knowing how shitty the 1st gen is. maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation item will be good but this 1st gen sucks ass. i am not buying or selling my stock as a result of this announcement. i didnt mean it to be a major point for everyone to discuss, nor did i know the history.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='01 February 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1265083415' post='861153']
i was basing it more on the stock + knowing how shitty the 1st gen is. maybe the 2nd or 3rd generation item will be good but this 1st gen sucks ass.[/quote]

You're going to have to explain "sucks ass" to me, and what a 2nd or 3rd generation model will bring to the table that will make it good.

[quote name='mongo' date='02 February 2010 - 08:03 AM' timestamp='1265126638' post='861196']
You're going to have to explain "sucks ass" to me, and what a 2nd or 3rd generation model will bring to the table that will make it good.
[/quote]

As a general rule you never want to buy 1st gen Apple products. And 2nd generation will probably have a camera and multi-tasking...

[quote name='Elflocko' date='02 February 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1265127520' post='861200']
As a general rule you never want to buy 1st gen Apple products. And 2nd generation will probably have a camera and multi-tasking...
[/quote]

Well first gen will have multitasking when anything will have it because that's just software. It will get it when the iphone and ipod touch get it. I really don't expect more than minor performance bumps (a little a4, a little memory, and a little battery), and a camera to distinguish between the first and second generation.

...Not sure if anyone keeps up with this stuff, but it appears Verizon is still possible for 3G service, and that there is a space in the casing of the iPad for a camera. I'm not holding my breath on a camera making it in there, but it's possible.

[quote name='mongo' date='02 February 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1265130190' post='861204']
Well first gen will have multitasking when anything will have it because that's just software. It will get it when the iphone and ipod touch get it. I really don't expect more than minor performance bumps (a little a4, a little memory, and a little battery), and a camera to distinguish between the first and second generation.

...Not sure if anyone keeps up with this stuff, but it appears Verizon is still possible for 3G service, and that there is a space in the casing of the iPad for a camera. I'm not holding my breath on a camera making it in there, but it's possible.
[/quote]

Just using that as an example. More important is that 1st gen Apple products always have glitches or issues that are rectified in version 2.

Sadly I've bought enough 1st gen stuff to be an expert on that... :glare:

[quote name='Elflocko' date='02 February 2010 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1265130358' post='861205']
Just using that as an example. More important is that 1st gen Apple products always have glitches or issues that are rectified in version 2.

[/quote]
Shhh... don't say that too loud. The Steve Jobs disciples will have your head. Everything Apple is flawless and has no equal. Except the Newton... and the 27" Macbooks... and the reception on iPhones... and the uselessness of AppleTV...

... crap, I'm in trouble now.

[font=Times][size=2][size=2][quote name='Elflocko' date='02 February 2010 - 12:05 PM' timestamp='1265130358' post='861205']

[/quote]

[/size][/size][/font]
Nature of the beast with first gen of most companies, I'm afraid. The difficulty with Apple is that they put such a premium price tag to that first generation product. I intend to get the iPad in April, but it will be the 16gig with 3G. Depending on the upgrade cycle, I'll get something with more space in the second or third generation.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='02 February 2010 - 12:37 PM' timestamp='1265132234' post='861217']
Shhh... don't say that too loud. The Steve Jobs disciples will have your head. Everything Apple is flawless and has no equal. Except the Newton... and the 27" [b]Macbooks[/b]... and the reception on iPhones... and the uselessness of AppleTV...

... crap, I'm in trouble now.
[/quote]

iMac, not Macbook.

...And the Newton, even though I'd agree it was a failure, sparked an industry. It was the first PDA. It led to Palm, which led to Nokia making a PDA phones, and to Blackberry, etc... Personally, when listing bad ideas from Apple, I'd go with the Cube instead of the Newton.

[quote name='mongo' date='02 February 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1265153248' post='861276']
[font=Times][size=2][size=2]

[/size][/size][/font]
Nature of the beast with first gen of most companies, I'm afraid. The difficulty with Apple is that they put such a premium price tag to that first generation product. I intend to get the iPad in April, but it will be the 16gig with 3G. Depending on the upgrade cycle, I'll get something with more space in the second or third generation.

iMac, not Macbook.

...And the Newton, even though I'd agree it was a failure, sparked an industry. It was the first PDA. It led to Palm, which led to Nokia making a PDA phones, and to Blackberry, etc... Personally, when listing bad ideas from Apple, I'd go with the Cube instead of the Newton.
[/quote]
Yeah, well... it was just off the top of my head. Cut me some slack. My brain is still running Windows 98.

[quote name='Elflocko' date='02 February 2010 - 11:18 AM' timestamp='1265127520' post='861200']
[/quote]

This applies to most any technology... which, Elf, I know you're aware of that.

I just think it comical when I listen / look at the blind "buy-in" / following that some Mac folks have for Apple products... It is almost like it hurts them to have to admit that something Apple made might not be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I guess Cincy nailed it best with his post about the "I'll buy anything Apple" post earlier... if you don't hold companies to some standard and just blindly buy whatever they don't have incentive to improve it as quickly...

BTW, I read a analyst's "rumor" mill that Apple was going to announce in June a next gen iPad for release next year that was going to be larger than the iPad, but smaller than a Mac laptop, but would run OS X...

I suppose some folks just have unlimited expendable cash to buy the 1st gen, 2nd gen, then the 3rd gen, etc. and buy every one that is released...

Interesting article. I'm always fascinated by a tech community's (Apple, Windows, whatever) ability to find an issue and diagnose a problem inside such a massive confusion of code. Smart people doing smart things is so very cool to read about. Participating in the process is even more awesome because it lets you feel like one of the tech gurus too. :)

What pile are you refering to though? That's the first article I've read that indicates any problems with the Mac Pros. Or is it in reference to the 27" iMac screen issue (which I wouldn't call a pile, but you're totally legit to do so. That's a crushing problem for a lot of people with gorgeous computers)? Luckily, it sounds like some faulty code that just needs a software update.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' date='03 February 2010 - 06:14 AM' timestamp='1265206484' post='861350']
This applies to most any technology... which, Elf, I know you're aware of that.

[/quote]

I consider Apple worse than most due to the initial higher cost and the degree of HW\SW\design improvement that usually come with their 2nd gen products...

[quote name='mongo' date='03 February 2010 - 09:20 AM' timestamp='1265206802' post='861353']
Interesting article. I'm always fascinated by a tech community's (Apple, Windows, whatever) ability to find an issue and diagnose a problem inside such a massive confusion of code. Smart people doing smart things is so very cool to read about. Participating in the process is even more awesome because it lets you feel like one of the tech gurus too. :)

[b]What pile are you refering to though?[/b] That's the first article I've read that indicates any problems with the Mac Pros. Or is it in reference to the 27" iMac screen issue (which I wouldn't call a pile, but you're totally legit to do so. That's a crushing problem for a lot of people with gorgeous computers)? Luckily, it sounds like some faulty code that just needs a software update.
[/quote]
The pile of items I previously listed that indicate that Apple is not as perfect as some would like to believe. Not limited to Mac Pros.

Archived