Where does Chapman start the season?

Jason

Aroldis Chapman  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Where does Aroldis Chapman start the regular season?

• AA Carolina
    • AAA Louisville
    • Cincinnati

[quote name='Bunghole' date='08 March 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1268094509' post='868524']
The Bengals cut Antonio awhile ago. What are you getting on about?
[/quote]

Um....

Wrong sport.

Wrong last name too.

Or did you just forget the ninja? :)

[quote name='Jason' date='08 March 2010 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1268094832' post='868525']
Um....

Wrong sport.

Wrong last name too.

Or did you just forget the ninja? :)
[/quote]

I keed, I keed. Frankly, with the uncertainty surrounding Harang and Arroyo, if Chapman is the real deal, I want Dusty ruining his arm in the bigs next year instead of the minor leagues.

:lol:

Mike Leake and Travis Wood are pitching pretty damn well too. We are going to have a ton of talent in AAA this year. Hopefully that makes it so if we have injuries in the big leagues we'll have plenty of guys to fill their spots.

Our rotation in 2011 could be downright nasty and young....5 of these 6 guys could/should be in the rotation...

Johnny Cueto-24
Homer Bailey-24
Edinson Volquez-26
Mike Leake-22
Travis Wood-23
Aroldis Chapman-22

These are their ages now...5 of the 6 will be 25 or younger when the 2011 season starts with Volquez being the only guy not, and he'll only be 27.

Hard to not be excited about next year, but hopefully Harang and Arroyo can at least somewhat keep it together this year and allow us to compete.

Satchel Paige.

Dizzy Dean and many others said he was the Greatest Pitcher they ever saw.

Paige was a work horse despite his lanky 6-4 frame and sub 200 lbs weight. He was a horse because he threw, and threw, and threw, and threw. Sometimes Ol Satch would pitch 3 games in a day. He lived large in the Time what with all his girlfriends and cars, and antiques you gotta throw to pay the bills.

Incredibly intelligent player and person. Could diagnose a batters weaknesses by watching his swing, and could trick screw ol Jim Crow 40 which ways with the aw shucks of a country columbo just like a fox.

Didn't have Radar in the 20's , 30's, 40's, 50's but they said when he threw the fast ball it shrunk to the size of an aspirin.

Paige had otherworldly control. A few times when he warmed up if need be he used a bottle cap as a plate.

Knicknamed his pitches - and could throw them all with dominating command.

Could change his arm slot at will and still maintain command of velocity, dynamics, and location.

But his bread and butter was his fastball; If you got a heater like this you don't need anything else he said. And he could throw it like a baby sleeping - effortlessly.
PFFFFFFFFTTTT.

Claimed to have won 1,500 games and thrown about 50 no hitters give or take.

Would Barnstorm with teams he put together or be a part of in places like Puerto Rico, the Dominican, and Cuba.

Was the oldest rookie to ever make the majors - a season or two after Jackie Robinson joined the Dodgers, Ol Satch broke in with the Cleveland Indians and pitched them to a pennant - he was 45 years old.

For that which dies is one thing; What is born is something else.

I think he starts in AAA this year. I am still unsure about Harang being a starter again. I think he has lost his "nasty" stuff it and would be better served coming out of the bullpen. I like Leake as a starter. Owings is a wild card as well since he has had success as a starter under pitching coach Price in the past. I think our rotation will be Harang, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey and Owings/Leake. Once everyone realizes Harang cannot succeed, Chapman will be up.

[quote name='The Entertainer' date='12 March 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1268442507' post='870126']
I think he starts in AAA this year. I am still unsure about Harang being a starter again. I think he has lost his "nasty" stuff it and would be better served coming out of the bullpen. I like Leake as a starter. Owings is a wild card as well since he has had success as a starter under pitching coach Price in the past. I think our rotation will be Harang, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey and Owings/Leake. [b]Once everyone realizes Harang cannot succeed, Chapman will be up.[/b]
[/quote]

If Owings starts the season in the rotation then I'm betting he would be the one that Chapman replaces.

[quote name='The Entertainer' date='12 March 2010 - 08:08 PM' timestamp='1268442507' post='870126']
I think he starts in AAA this year. I am still unsure about Harang being a starter again. I think he has lost his "nasty" stuff it and would be better served coming out of the bullpen. I like Leake as a starter. Owings is a wild card as well since he has had success as a starter under pitching coach Price in the past. I think our rotation will be Harang, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey and Owings/Leake. Once everyone realizes Harang cannot succeed, Chapman will be up.
[/quote]

I could understand the reasoning behind Chapman starting off in the minors so he could get experience while a guy with more experience is in the majors. But that wouldnt then make sense to have Leake have the 5th spot cause he doesnt have any experience either.

I would give Chap the 5th spot and then have Leake or Wood, whoever is pitching better early, be the 6th guy whenever one of our starters cant make a start, gets hurt, or is bad.

The funny thing is that if Owings or Lincoln or someone got the fifth spot, its quite possible that our AAA rotation could be better then our major league rotation (Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Cueto and Owings) vs (Chapman, Leake, Wood). That might be a bit of a stretch, but those 3 young guys are gonna be good I think.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='13 March 2010 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1268502579' post='870226']
Harang is going to be great this year. He has his velocity back because we have a pitching coach that is capable of fixing basic mechanical flaws that we didnt have last year.
[/quote]

You know it's sad when our TV color announcer could see things our pitching coach could not.

Do NOT rush this kid.
He has the potential to be absolutely incredible.

Start him in the minors so he gets some more seasoning and gets used to the rigors of professional ball.
Let him get some wins, K's, and experience then bring him up and unleash him with a ton of confidence.
If you start him in Cincy, the scene may be too big for him and he might struggle and it would kill his confidence.

Also, if the team starts to struggle or attendance lags, call him up and he could be the spark to get things going.

There is absolutely NO reason to rush him and I personally think the bad outweighs the good with starting him in the bigs.

I'm willing to risk 2 or 3 losses out of the number 5 guy if it means not rushing Roldy.
Pitchers like this don't come around very often, especially for the Reds, I think it's more than ok to go the Republican route with him.

Give him time to develop and you'll have a great one for many years to come.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='17 March 2010 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1268884040' post='871330']
Do NOT rush this kid.
He has the potential to be absolutely incredible.

Start him in the minors so he gets some more seasoning and gets used to the rigors of professional ball.
Let him get some wins, K's, and experience then bring him up and unleash him with a ton of confidence.
If you start him in Cincy, the scene may be too big for him and he might struggle and it would kill his confidence.

Also, if the team starts to struggle or attendance lags, call him up and he could be the spark to get things going.

There is absolutely NO reason to rush him and I personally think the bad outweighs the good with starting him in the bigs.

I'm willing to risk 2 or 3 losses out of the number 5 guy if it means not rushing Roldy.
Pitchers like this don't come around very often, especially for the Reds, I think it's more than ok to go the Republican route with him.

Give him time to develop and you'll have a great one for many years to come.
[/quote]

rigors of pro ball? you pitch year round in cuba and he's already pitched against MLB players in the WBC. he is ready and should be up but they wont. i just hope the 5th starter is Maloney. I want Wood and Leake to go to AAA

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='19 March 2010 - 10:14 PM' timestamp='1269051293' post='871796']
rigors of pro ball? you pitch year round in cuba and he's already pitched against MLB players in the WBC. he is ready and should be up but they wont. i just hope the 5th starter is Maloney. I want Wood and Leake to go to AAA
[/quote]

I really hope chapman makes this team with Leake and Wood being the next guy up if someone gets hurt or doesnt pitch well.

I think we have a chance to compete but we need to get Chap Leake and Wood all starts this year so that next year we can compete for a World Series championship. Might sound crazy, but with Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, Chapman, Leake and Wood I think we have a great chance to compete for world series in the years to come.

6 guys that all have great stuff, good odds that at least 1 becomes a dominant pitcher 2 or 3 could be all stars and even if 2 are just servicable pitchers. I like the odds...

(maybe jumping the gun a little considering 3 have never pitched in the majors but still)

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='20 March 2010 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1269109312' post='871859']
I really hope chapman makes this team with Leake and Wood being the next guy up if someone gets hurt or doesnt pitch well.

I think we have a chance to compete but we need to get Chap Leake and Wood all starts this year so that next year we can compete for a World Series championship. Might sound crazy, but with Cueto, Bailey, Volquez, Chapman, Leake and Wood I think we have a great chance to compete for world series in the years to come.

6 guys that all have great stuff, good odds that at least 1 becomes a dominant pitcher 2 or 3 could be all stars and even if 2 are just servicable pitchers. I like the odds...

(maybe jumping the gun a little considering 3 have never pitched in the majors but still)
[/quote]

based on talent/potential only that rotation CAN be one of the best ever.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='20 March 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1269110745' post='871862']
based on talent/potential only that rotation CAN be one of the best ever.
[/quote]

As long as Lehr isnt the number 5 guy ill be happy...although i really hope owings doesnt get it either. Or Kip Wells.

Leake Wood or Chap would definitely be my choices. Maloney I might be ok with.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='20 March 2010 - 02:21 PM' timestamp='1269112889' post='871866']
As long as Lehr isnt the number 5 guy ill be happy...although i really hope owings doesnt get it either. Or Kip Wells.

Leake Wood or Chap would definitely be my choices. Maloney I might be ok with.
[/quote]

im fine with maloney

Archived