How can I send programs on my DirecTv DVR to my computer?

[quote name='Elflocko' date='11 March 2010 - 10:41 PM' timestamp='1268365281' post='869896']
Looks like you're going to need a pass-through device. Something like this: [url="http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html"]http://www.hauppauge...data_hdpvr.html[/url]
[/quote]

that thing work with mac?

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='12 March 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1268443095' post='870130']
Neat device, but if you just want to transfer video to your PC, wouldn't any video capture card work fine?
[/quote]

Theoretically, but then you need something that can read the file format and break the DRM.

[quote name='Elflocko' date='12 March 2010 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1268451295' post='870150']
Theoretically, but then you need something that can read the file format and break the DRM.
[/quote]
Not if you connect the video output of the cable box to the input on the capture card. There's no file format to read, just a video signal feed. The HDMI output may have some sort of protection on it, but the component, S-video, and composite outputs are strictly analog. No DRM, no encryption.
The HD-PVR box does basically the same thing, but adds an IR blaster to change channels for you. Nice device if you want to use your PC as the DVR instead of the built-in DVR on the cable box. But you lose the ability to watch one channel while recording another unless you have two cable boxes and two video inputs on your PC.

I think what he originally wanted to do was to access the files on the DVR hard drive. In that case, you DO have to worry about DRM, file encryption, and format. None of which are easy to deal with on a DirecTV box. I tried looking into it a few years ago when I had DirecTV and there were no methods available for doing what he wants to do. Checked again in response to this thread and found a few sites that claim to have been successful but there were few details and it didn't sound credible.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='13 March 2010 - 07:48 AM' timestamp='1268495296' post='870203']
Not if you connect the video output of the cable box to the input on the capture card. There's no file format to read, just a video signal feed. The HDMI output may have some sort of protection on it, but the component, S-video, and composite outputs are strictly analog. No DRM, no encryption.
The HD-PVR box does basically the same thing, but adds an IR blaster to change channels for you. Nice device if you want to use your PC as the DVR instead of the built-in DVR on the cable box. But you lose the ability to watch one channel while recording another unless you have two cable boxes and two video inputs on your PC.

[b]I think what he originally wanted to do was to access the files on the DVR hard drive. In that case, you DO have to worry about DRM, file encryption, and format.[/b] None of which are easy to deal with on a DirecTV box. I tried looking into it a few years ago when I had DirecTV and there were no methods available for doing what he wants to do. Checked again in response to this thread and found a few sites that claim to have been successful but there were few details and it didn't sound credible.
[/quote]

Pretty sure that was the case.

I just don't deal with AV much, so I'll defer to someone who knows more...

Archived