Naismith Award Winner

Who is the NCAA Player of the Year?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who takes the Naismith?

• Evan Turner, SF, OSU (19.9 PPG, 9.1 RPG, 5.9 APG, 4.2 TO, 1.8 STL, .9 BPG)
    • John Wall, PG, UK (16.9 PPG, 4.2 APG, 6.3 APG, 4.0 TO, 1.7 STL, .5 BPG)

I think it's a pretty close race, myself.
Evan Turner gets the edge, I think, because there aren't two other first team All-Conference guys on his team and he has 2 more years of college ball under his belt.

Keep in mind, this poll isn't for who will ultimately have the better career or anything like that.

Granted, they haven't even narrowed down to the final ballot yet (as far as I know), and tournament play is taken into account. Also, Turner's stats don't reflect today's game against the Golden Gophers.

Right now though, as much as I love UK and dislike OSU, I would have to go with Evan Turner. Admittedly, I've only watched a few games with Turner, but he doesn't slump in the middle of games like Wall will sometimes do.

The selection committee could very well arrange things so that OSU is the 2 seed in the East or wherever UK is a 1 seed. That would be quite a match-up.

Wall's insane, and a better NBA prospect, but Turner has just been so sick this year. Carried his team on his back all year. Wall has been able to have off nights and still win games.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='14 March 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1268618280' post='870579']
I like both teams and its Evan Turner hands down, especially after todays performance.

Turner also averages 4 points more a game and 5 rebounds more a game...assists is almost even.
[/quote]

and Turner is a SF playing PG while Wall is a PG playing PG and they both get 4 TOs per game. not exactly a good thing out of a true PG.

I think Turner is a better pro prospect. I dont see wall being a star in the NBA, i see him being at the Derrick Rose level. He is dominating on guys who are half of his talent right now but that won't be the case in the nba. Too many turnovers against way lesser talent while his entire team is stacked. I think ET will be like a Brandon Roy in the NBA.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='14 March 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1268618744' post='870583']
and Turner is a SF playing PG while Wall is a PG playing PG and they both get 4 TOs per game. not exactly a good thing out of a true PG.

I think Turner is a better pro prospect. I dont see wall being a star in the NBA, i see him being at the Derrick Rose level. He is dominating on guys who are half of his talent right now but that won't be the case in the nba. Too many turnovers against way lesser talent while his entire team is stacked. I think ET will be like a Brandon Roy in the NBA.
[/quote]
Turner is the only guy who isn't a guard in the Top 10 in Turnovers per game. What does that indicate about Turner?
Also Derrick Rose was NBA Rookie of the Year last year and made it to the All-STAR game this season. How is he not already a star in the league?

[quote name='#22' date='14 March 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1268622420' post='870598']
Turner is the only guy who isn't a guard in the Top 10 in Turnovers per game. What does that indicate about Turner?
Also Derrick Rose was NBA Rookie of the Year last year and made it to the All-STAR game this season. How is he not already a star in the league?
[/quote]

20 points per game and 5 assists per game on a team that sucks ass is not a star.

Turner isnt a guard but is playing PG...he wont do that in the NBA. he will actually play his natural position.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote]Turner dominates player-of-year voting

Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ohio State junior swingman Evan Turner is the runaway choice as The Associated Press' college basketball player of the year.

Evan Turner

Turner

The 6-foot-7 Turner, who averaged 20.3 points, 9.2 rebounds and 5.9 assists, received 54 votes from the 65-member national media panel.

Turner missed six games after breaking bones in his back when he fell after a dunk in December. The Buckeyes went .500 without him and then went on to win the Big Ten championship after he returned.

He is the first Ohio State player to win the award since Gary Bradds in 1964. Jerry Lucas of the Buckeyes won it in 1961 and 1962.

Kentucky freshman John Wall received nine votes, while Da'Sean Butler of West Virginia and Luke Harangody of Notre Dame each got one.[/quote]

[quote name='#22' date='02 April 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1270228534' post='874764']
What rockhead voted for Frankengody?
[/quote]
That's the first thing I said.

What?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='14 March 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1268618744' post='870583']

[/quote]

Doug Gottlieb was on Mike & Mike yesterday talking about how he literally had the scouting report on Joe Mazzulla, that he can only go left, and can't really shoot, and you should just sag off him and make him hit shots, and John Wall didn't do any of that. He was lit up by a guy with one good shoulder (his off shoulder), who was a bench player until their other PG broke his foot and is averaging still with this game 2.6 ppg this year, who at his peak averaged 5.8 ppg two years ago, and who can't really shoot. His previous high scoring performance this season was 8 points, yet against Wall it was like he was in a lay-up line. And after double checking, 17 points was Joe Mazzulla's career high.

Now either he didn't really read the scouting report, didn't really care, or couldn't put it together on the court in their biggest game of the season. That'd be somewhat concerning to an NBA GM I'd imagine. Will he not be #1 overall, no I still think he will be. But I don't think he's as good as Rose, Rose had less to work with at Memphis and got them further and made the players around him much better.

[b][size="5"]Turner adds Naismith award[/size][/b]
Monday, April 5, 2010 2:53 AM
By [email="bbaptist@dispatch.com"]Bob Baptist[/email]
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

INDIANAPOLIS - Evan Turner made it no secret a year ago that not winning the Big Ten player of the year award bothered him.

Reordering his priorities changed everything.

"I kind of got what awards meant mixed up," he said. "I thought awards meant respect. I thought awards were things that made you happy.

"I started learning later that it's about having pride in what you do that makes you happy. As long as I can look in the mirror and say I tried my hardest and I gave it my all, that's all that matters. I just stopped caring about the (other) stuff and started going out and having fun and just enjoying myself."

Now there's hardly an award Turner hasn't won.

He became the first Ohio State basketball player to win the Naismith Trophy last night, given annually since 1969 by the Atlanta Tipoff Club to the player of the year in college basketball.

Turner received the award during the National Association of Basketball Coaches' awards show at which he also was honored as the NABC's Division I player of the year.

"For this to happen is a dream come true," Turner said. "I really worked hard for it. There are a lot of people who could've gotten the award, a lot of great players."

Sherron Collins of Kansas, Wesley Johnson of Syracuse and John Wall of Kentucky were the other finalists for the award.

The Naismith and NABC honors were the fourth and fifth player of the year awards for Turner. He previously collected trophies from [i]The Sporting News[/i], Associated Press and U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

He could add a sixth Friday in Los Angeles, where he will be a finalist for the Wooden Award.

"Amazing," coach Thad Matta said of Turner's haul.

The only other Big Ten players to receive the Naismith Trophy are Scott May of Indiana in 1976, Calbert Cheaney of Indiana in 1993 and Glenn Robinson of Purdue in 1994.

Turner was unaware he was the first from Ohio State until being told after the presentation.

"Ever?" he said. "That's pretty cool."

It also is the first time that the Naismith awards for the college and high school players of the year went to players at or headed to the same university. Jared Sullinger of Northland High School, who will be a freshman at Ohio State next season, won the high school award in March.

Matta said that Turner's de-emphasizing the importance of winning awards was another step in his ongoing maturation as a player.

"I think he just became more consumed with playing basketball," Matta said. "That was always my thing: 'Play forward. Don't worry about anything except the moment.' We always talked about being in the moment. And winning. I told him a million times, the better we do, the better you're going to do."

Before driving home to Columbus last night, Turner said that he plans to announce by next Monday whether he will return to Ohio State for his senior season or enter the NBA draft, in which he is projected as a top-three pick. Next Monday is the date by which he must withdraw from classes at Ohio State for the program to avoid a potential Academic Progress Rate penalty.

Turner said he discussed the issue with family members this weekend but has not decided what to do.

"Right now I'm just enjoying myself," he said. "When I figure something out, you will definitely know."

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/04/05/turner-adds-naismith-award.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2010/04/05/turner-adds-naismith-award.html?sid=101[/url]

Archived