This certainly seems like a grown up response

Jamie_B

When were they cooperating before??

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/88285-mccain-dont-expect-gop-cooperation-the-rest-of-this-year

[quote]McCain: Don't expect GOP cooperation on legislation for the rest of this year
By Michael O'Brien - 03/22/10 11:14 AM ET
Democrats shouldn't expect much cooperation from Republicans the rest of this year, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) warned Monday.

McCain and another Republican senator decried the effect health reform legislation has had on the Senate, a day after the House passed the upper chamber's bill.

GOP senators emerged Monday to caution that the health debate had taken a toll on the institution, warning of little work between parties the rest of this year.

"There will be no cooperation for the rest of the year," McCain said during an interview Monday on an Arizona radio affiliate. "They have poisoned the well in what they've done and how they've done it."

The Senate is set to take up a bill under budget reconciliation rules that would make a series of changes to its larger health bill, which the House passed Sunday night and President Barack Obama expects to sign into law on Tuesday.

During the months of debate, Republicans have claimed they have been shut out of the process. Democrats, for their part, had invited some GOP participation in the debate, but said that many of the Republican ideas on the bill were meant to be dilatory, if not outright "obstructionist."

Cooperation between parties usually isn't paramount in election years like 2010, with senators jockeying for campaign positioning. But some GOP members said the character of the Senate had changed by virtue of the process used on the health bill.

"In my opinion, the institution of the Congress has been fundamentally harmed," said Sen. Judd Gregg (R-N.H.), pointing to the process Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) used to craft the final health bill.

Still, Gregg acknowledged that voters' concerns about the health bill and the processes used to pass it might have abated by November.

"There will be other events in this nation which capture the attention of the American people," he said Monday during an appearance on CNBC. "So it's very possible that people will not be as focused on this by next November."

Update, 3:17 p.m.: Reid spokesman Jim Manley released the following statement:

For someone who campaigned on ‘Country First’ and claims to take great pride in bipartisanship, it’s absolutely bizarre for Senator McCain to tell the American people he is going to take his ball and go home until the next election. He must be living in some parallel universe because the fact is, with very few exceptions, we’ve gotten very little cooperation from Senate Republicans in recent years.

At a time when our economy is suffering and we’re fighting two wars, the American people need Senator McCain and his fellow Republicans to start working with us to confront the challenges facing our country—not reiterating their constant opposition to helping working families when they need it most.[/quote]

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='31 March 2010 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1270084751' post='874376']
When were they cooperating before??

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/88285-mccain-dont-expect-gop-cooperation-the-rest-of-this-year
[/quote]

I think he poorly portrayed the fact that the fervor over the Health Care Reform will not be laid to rest before the election....or at least the GOP will try not to allow it to be.......

I don't think they are going to have to try hard.

I am 35 years old. I have NEVER....EVER been more angry about a political issue in my life.

I voted for Sherrod Brown last time.....I will not again.....I don't care if Kim Jong Il is running against him.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 08:12 AM' timestamp='1270123969' post='874428']
I think he poorly portrayed the fact that the fervor over the Health Care Reform will not be laid to rest before the election....or at least the GOP will try not to allow it to be.......

I don't think they are going to have to try hard.

I am 35 years old. I have NEVER....EVER been more angry about a political issue in my life.

I voted for Sherrod Brown last time.....I will not again.....I don't care if Kim Jong Il is running against him.
[/quote]

yeah thats great be angry about it, but to not cooperate on any other legislation is akin to taking their ball and going home. its childish and its extremely irresponsible in a time when we need good legislation to be put out to fix some of our problems. If this is the way they will act in response, they can not expect a vote from me.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='01 April 2010 - 11:28 AM' timestamp='1270135721' post='874471']
yeah thats great be angry about it, but to not cooperate on any other legislation is akin to taking their ball and going home. its childish and its extremely irresponsible in a time when we need good legislation to be put out to fix some of our problems. If this is the way they will act in response, they can not expect a vote from me.
[/quote]

Honestly, my emotional side says we need a "punch a democrat in the face" day.

Trying to be an adult about it, I know that throwing a temper tantrum will not help this year. The elections in the fall will prove whether the general American public was in favor of the Health Care monstrosity of 2010.

I know what the GOP are trying to do....they are trying to keep the American public mad until November so "New Change" can be invoked.

If you don't think that Obama all of a sudden wanting to talk about drilling for oil as a way to sweep the health care bill under the rug and make people forget about it then your nuts........

How do these people get elected?? Seriously?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsFsn8ekyhw[/media] (by the way: this man voted for the Health care reform...I hope he was not one of the "smart people" that was referred to?)

Honest question? How much of my paycheck does the government have a right to?

Really, when is enough enough?

When is enough enough for you?

"If you treat people in a childlike manner, the more childlike they will become."

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 12:03 PM' timestamp='1270137811' post='874480']
Honestly, my emotional side says we need a "punch a democrat in the face" day.

Trying to be an adult about it, I know that throwing a temper tantrum will not help this year. The elections in the fall will prove whether the general American public was in favor of the Health Care monstrosity of 2010.

I know what the GOP are trying to do....they are trying to keep the American public mad until November so "New Change" can be invoked.

If you don't think that Obama all of a sudden wanting to talk about drilling for oil as a way to sweep the health care bill under the rug and make people forget about it then your nuts........

How do these people get elected?? Seriously?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsFsn8ekyhw[/media] (by the way: this man voted for the Health care reform...I hope he was not one of the "smart people" that was referred to?)

Really, when is enough enough?

When is enough enough for you?

"If you treat people in a childlike manner, the more childlike they will become."
[/quote]

Of course he wants to move on, I dont discount that at all. (and you should punch a republican in the face first, as it was their idea.)

But we need to move on too, there are far too many pressing issues that need to be worked on for the republicans to throw this temper tantrum.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1270137811' post='874480']
[/quote]

What do you think is a fair amount? If it was up to you, how much would you think is appropriate? Curious on what you think is the best figure here.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='01 April 2010 - 01:20 PM' timestamp='1270142433' post='874507']
I recently sent the Secretary of Defense a letter saying, "But I don't really want to buy a new-fangled jet at this time. I can't fit the payments into my monthly nut."

Haven't heard back yet.
[/quote]

yes but these new fangled jets protect you

and health insurance...

never mind carry on

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='01 April 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1270142904' post='874511']
yes but these new fangled jets protect you

and health insurance...

never mind carry on
[/quote]

if it was not for those jets you could very well be speaking German(or not be alive at all)....if you don't get the difference then there is no need to explain....

[quote name='sois' date='01 April 2010 - 01:14 PM' timestamp='1270142078' post='874503']
What do you think is a fair amount? If it was up to you, how much would you think is appropriate? Curious on what you think is the best figure here.
[/quote]

Enough to take care of those who can not physically or mentally take care of themselves......

Enough to have a strong enough Military to protect our freedom(whats left of it)...

Enough to pay the salaries of the people that run the country....

Period.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 07:27 PM' timestamp='1270164453' post='874582']
if it was not for those jets you could very well be speaking German(or not be alive at all)....if you don't get the difference then there is no need to explain....
[/quote]

poppycock

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1270164453' post='874582']
[/quote]

Aside from the fact that the US didn't use jets in WWII (Russian would have been a better language choice for this particular analogy) when was the last time the United States was actually attacked by a foreign nation?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1270164739' post='874584']
Enough to take care of those who can not physically or mentally take care of themselves......

Enough to have a strong enough Military to protect our freedom(whats left of it)...

Enough to pay the salaries of the people that run the country....

Period.
[/quote]

No police?

Fireman?

Teachers?

Sewage treatment?

Roads?

Really?

[quote name='Elflocko' date='01 April 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1270165642' post='874587']
Aside from the fact that the US didn't use jets in WWII (Russian would have been a better language choice for this particular analogy) when was the last time the United States was actually attacked by a foreign nation?
[/quote]

Oh it has been a while for sure...

When was the last time a country harbored a militant group that carried out attacks on American soil?

Are you telling me that you are fine with radicals like N. Korea and Iran possessing nuclear weapons?

[quote name='Lucid' date='01 April 2010 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1270165973' post='874592']
No police?

Fireman?

Teachers?

Sewage treatment?

Roads?

Really?
[/quote]

SEE: salaries of people who run the country....or should I say...essential services....

how much is too much for you lucid? You failed to answer that in the last thread about this...

May I ask you if you are in the group that will pay your own way or the group that will be subsidized by my wages?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 07:54 PM' timestamp='1270166064' post='874593']
Oh it has been a while for sure...

When was the last time a country harbored a militant group that carried out attacks on American soil?

Are you telling me that you are fine with radicals like N. Korea and Iran possessing nuclear weapons?
[/quote]

Iran is not a radical country.

*waits for you to say Ahmadinejad claimed to want to wipe Israel off the map*

*waits to then remind you Iran hasn't aggressively attacked another country in recent memory, while Israel has. And oh yeah, Ahmadinejad never said that*

*waits for someone to bring up Iran funding Hezbollah et al.*

*waits to remind you we're openly funding terrorist groups in Iran attacking Iranian targets*

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='01 April 2010 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1270166321' post='874598']
Iran is not a radical country.

*waits for you to say Ahmadinejad claimed to want to wipe Israel off the map*

*waits to then remind you Iran hasn't aggressively attacked another country in recent memory, while Israel has. And oh yeah, Ahmadinejad never said that*
[/quote]

Lets ask their own people who have been bloodied in the streets because they protested the govt....

...waits for you to stop updating your post.

Ever heard the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

I see the Go-bengals liberal round table is here.....

Did someone put up the bat signal?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1270166168' post='874595']
SEE: [b]salaries of people who run the country[/b]....or should I say...essential services....

how much is too much for you lucid? You failed to answer that in the last thread about this...

May I ask you if you are in the group that will pay your own way or the group that will be subsidized by my wages?
[/quote]

So then that could include the people running the health care reform stuff right? Or does "the people who run the country" only apply to things you approve of?

And I don't need this health care reform.. I have a great health/eye/dental plan.. I make plenty of money.. Possibly even more than you. I also don't have kids, but vote for school levies and support the police department even though I have never had a need for them.

What's your point?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1270166458' post='874599']
Lets ask their own people who have been bloodied in the streets because they protested the govt....

[/quote]

Did you see the coverage of the police brutality during the lockdown of Pittsburgh during the G20 or was that just me?

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='01 April 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1270166458' post='874599']

I see the Go-bengals liberal round table is here.....

[/quote]

Liberal. :24:

I'm a libertarian, bub. Kinda the opposite of a big government liberal. But definitely opposed to the neocon world police bullshit as well.

[quote name='Lucid' date='01 April 2010 - 08:02 PM' timestamp='1270166523' post='874600']
So then that could include the people running the health care reform stuff right? Or does "the people who run the country" only apply to things you approve of?

And I don't need this health care reform.. I have a great health/eye/dental plan.. I also make plenty of money.. Possibly even more than you. I also don't have kids, but vote for school levies and support the police department even though I have never had a need for them.

What's your point?
[/quote]

My point is was are you arguing from the point of one of the "entitled."

When is enough social programs enough?

Will you keep voting for them until the U.S. govt has your entire check and tells you how to spend it??

When is enough enough?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='01 April 2010 - 08:05 PM' timestamp='1270166701' post='874604']
Liberal. :24:

I'm a libertarian, bub. Kinda the opposite of a big government liberal. But definitely opposed to the neocon world police bullshit as well.
[/quote]

I am conservative(not the current Republican mess)

If you are a true libertarian then there is no way in hell you are in favor of the Health Care reform....as well as welfare......and so on.

I see the Go-bengals [b]liberal[/b] round table is here.....

[/quote]

Please define liberal....

Economic?
Social?
Constitutional?

I am perhaps what you could call liberal on one of those designators. I am also far more conservative than that on the other 2.

Liberal is such a bullshit label, I bet you can't even explain to me what you mean by it,

Archived