2010 Reds gameday thread!

JBandJoeyV

[quote name='oldschooler' date='10 April 2010 - 06:57 AM' timestamp='1270900674' post='876524']
M'eh. He had it in his hand and lost it. I don't know if he could
have thrown someone out. But he made sure he had no chance.

Suspect Defense either way.

Great win though.
[/quote]

it was a great play just to get to the ball but he knew he had to throw off balance and rush it to get the guy (which he wouldnt have gotten). thats why it was ruled a hit and should have been. 95% of SSs wouldnt have gotten to that ball. they typically dont penalize guys in situations like that.

the play that pissed me off was rolen fucking up the play before when it was an EASY play for janish. rolen is better than that and should have known to let it go.

[quote name='Jason' date='11 April 2010 - 01:44 PM' timestamp='1271011443' post='876731']
I've never seen a team so consistently bad at getting a runner home from 3rd with one out.
[/quote]

cubs had bases loaded 0 outs and scored 0. thats even worse lol

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='11 April 2010 - 01:53 PM' timestamp='1271011989' post='876732']
Get Leake out!!! He's visibly tired with over 100 pitches already.
Damn Dusty lets not throw this kids arm out IN HIS FIRST START.

Damn.
[/quote]

i hate dusty but he has never thrown out a players arm. this shits ridiculous.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='11 April 2010 - 02:54 PM' timestamp='1271012066' post='876733']
cubs had bases loaded 0 outs and scored 0. thats even worse lol

i hate dusty but he has never thrown out a players arm. this shits ridiculous.
[/quote]
Mark Prior undoubtedly, he was never the same after that year

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='11 April 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1271017001' post='876766']
good win to take the series...leake pitched great 1 run in 6 2/3. Cut back on the walks and hell be real good.
[/quote]

I didn't see the first few innings, but from what I saw he wasn't getting anything on the black. Maddux would have gotten a few of those.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='11 April 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1271016218' post='876761']
Mark Prior undoubtedly, he was never the same after that year
[/quote]

LOL, you do understand mark prior had a KNOWN mechanical flaw in his pitching that he refused to change and knew it would lead to injuries...i hate dusty but he had nothing to do with those injuries.

[quote name='Jason' date='11 April 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1271017277' post='876769']
I didn't see the first few innings, but from what I saw he wasn't getting anything on the black. Maddux would have gotten a few of those.
[/quote]

Yeah, well, Greg Maddux-type pitchers must grow on trees in Florida!

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='11 April 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1271028582' post='876846']
LOL, you do understand mark prior had a KNOWN mechanical flaw in his pitching that he refused to change and knew it would lead to injuries...i hate dusty but he had nothing to do with those injuries.
[/quote]

Wonky motion. Plus wasn't Prior Juicin? Dusty did pitch the shit out of him - but I'm in the camp that says if you want to get stronger at something you keep doing that thing and you'll get stronger / better / easier at it.

Like Lifting weights.

Running long distance.

Throwing the Fastball.

and on and on...

The human body doesn't really Wear out . . . the amazing thing that it is . . . it gets destroyed by lifestyle.

I'll go back to my Satchel Paige example . . . Mr. Paige had lots of cars, and houses, and kids, and girlfriends . . . in-order to pay for all that stuff he had to pitch - a lot. Sometimes he claimed - 3 games in a day. And Satchel - back then he was[i] the[/i] Draw , mostly, at the gate. Tough to mail it in when the people pay to see you in particular.

1,500 wins. 50 No Hitters. A billion Strike outs.

Had a bout early in his career with a stomach problem - he had to look after what he ate real close after that, when your stomach hurts, it takes your mind off your pitching, you mind off your pitching you get hit. You start getting hit. You start losing dollars. You start losing dollars you cant pay for your cars, your houses, your dogs, your antiques, your girlfriends - so after that he ate real clean and bland. Nothing fancy. Boiled or baked chicken and steamed greens and vegetables. And he pitched into his fifties, granted by that point he wasn't bringing it at 100 but he could still get em out on Savvy.

The pitcher can get tired or fatigued sure but you ain't wearing him out unless his mechanics are poor, or his fatigue causes poor mechanics.
Where bone, and cartlidge, and sinew are all grinding on each other, or going in akward motions.

When you go for a run you don't just take of at a sprint. You ease into it, warm it up for a while. Those fitness experts will tell you that when you put a little pounding on the knees at a slow trot, that remarkable body of yours will generate its own grease and cushion. just where it needs it.

Thats what Paige did - he'd take his sweet time getting warm, like a lot of time, real warm, real loose - pitch - and then get the rub down by Jew Baby with the Snake Oil.

Impressive start for Leake on Sunday. And Aroldis in Louisville...

Nice win for the Home Team.

The lack of run production for the big club is a little troubling.

Sooner or later Bruce will start having them fall in for a hit.

I think they got some boppers in the lineup but I don't know exactly what it is, but I have a guess.

They seem on edge - jittery. I was noticing Jay Bruce biting his lips, like a nervous habit thing while he's up there at the plate. I don't know. That kind of stuff can catch on a team and spread. Maybe it starts with dusty with his incessant oral fixation.

Too much Caffeine maybe?

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='12 April 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1271127779' post='877197']
big win today. they stole that game.
[/quote]

Yeah Cueto needs to just calm down a lil bit, hes been a lil wild. But I think he'll be alright.

Bullpen pitched pretty well today.

If Scott Rolen keeps playing like he has so far hes gonna make that trade seem like a steal.

[quote name='The Scales' date='12 April 2010 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1271086257' post='877037']
Wonky motion. Plus wasn't Prior Juicin? Dusty did pitch the shit out of him - but I'm in the camp that says if you want to get stronger at something you keep doing that thing and you'll get stronger / better / easier at it.

Like Lifting weights.

Running long distance.

Throwing the Fastball.

and on and on...

The human body doesn't really Wear out . . . the amazing thing that it is . . . it gets destroyed by lifestyle.

I'll go back to my Satchel Paige example . . . Mr. Paige had lots of cars, and houses, and kids, and girlfriends . . . in-order to pay for all that stuff he had to pitch - a lot. Sometimes he claimed - 3 games in a day. And Satchel - back then he was[i] the[/i] Draw , mostly, at the gate. Tough to mail it in when the people pay to see you in particular.

1,500 wins. 50 No Hitters. A billion Strike outs.

Had a bout early in his career with a stomach problem - he had to look after what he ate real close after that, when your stomach hurts, it takes your mind off your pitching, you mind off your pitching you get hit. You start getting hit. You start losing dollars. You start losing dollars you cant pay for your cars, your houses, your dogs, your antiques, your girlfriends - so after that he ate real clean and bland. Nothing fancy. Boiled or baked chicken and steamed greens and vegetables. And he pitched into his fifties, granted by that point he wasn't bringing it at 100 but he could still get em out on Savvy.

The pitcher can get tired or fatigued sure but you ain't wearing him out unless his mechanics are poor, or his fatigue causes poor mechanics.
Where bone, and cartlidge, and sinew are all grinding on each other, or going in akward motions.

When you go for a run you don't just take of at a sprint. You ease into it, warm it up for a while. Those fitness experts will tell you that when you put a little pounding on the knees at a slow trot, that remarkable body of yours will generate its own grease and cushion. just where it needs it.

Thats what Paige did - he'd take his sweet time getting warm, like a lot of time, real warm, real loose - pitch - and then get the rub down by Jew Baby with the Snake Oil.
[/quote]

Pitching is considered to be the most unnatural motion in sports. I don't think assigning "toughness" to a pitcher based on his ability to deliver pitches at an MLB level based on gritting it out through injuries is an accurate assessment of how these guys operate. Sure, they aren't football players, but there's something to be said about that motion and how it can and does injure different people differently.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='12 April 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1271127913' post='877198']
Yeah Cueto needs to just calm down a lil bit, hes been a lil wild. But I think he'll be alright.

Bullpen pitched pretty well today.

[b]If Scott Rolen keeps playing like he has so far hes gonna make that trade seem like a steal.[/b]
[/quote]

He already has.

[quote name='Jason' date='13 April 2010 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1271201926' post='877492']
Boy, it sure looked like a HR to me on the replay.
[/quote]

It only looked fair because the view they gave us was from far away instead of the close up angles the umps get.

[quote name='CTA513' date='13 April 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1271203065' post='877494']
It only looked fair because the view they gave us was from far away instead of the close up angles the umps get.
[/quote]

There is a picture on redzone showing it was foul...lame.

But Hanigan with a 3 run jack and arroyo looking solid through 4...6-1 reds!

[quote name='oldschooler' date='15 April 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1271380480' post='878142']
Harang sucks.
[/quote]

indeed.

Maybe Aroldis will dominate in his next start tomorrow and well bring him up to replace harang although we are paying him 15 mil so it wont happen.

Trade his ass.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='15 April 2010 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1271380480' post='878142']
Harang sucks.
[/quote]

harang was lookin good his first 2 starts. i guess jair jurrjens sucks too

[quote name='Jason' date='13 April 2010 - 07:28 AM' timestamp='1271161700' post='877243']
He already has.
[/quote]

he is nowhere close to make up for the 3 players we lost. we should have never dealt those 2 pitchers. it was and still is a dumbass trade.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='15 April 2010 - 08:26 PM' timestamp='1271381165' post='878145']
indeed.

Maybe Aroldis will dominate in his next start tomorrow and well bring him up to replace harang although we are paying him 15 mil so it wont happen.

Trade his ass.
[/quote]

aroldis is at least a year away.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='16 April 2010 - 05:48 PM' timestamp='1271454498' post='878392']
harang was lookin good his first 2 starts. i guess jair jurrjens sucks too

he is nowhere close to make up for the 3 players we lost. we should have never dealt those 2 pitchers. it was and still is a dumbass trade.

aroldis is at least a year away.
[/quote]

1. Harang has won 1 game in his last 20...sure he has had some bad luck, but the guy isnt very good anymore. In his three starts this year he has had 1 good one, 1 ok one, and 1 terrible one. My somewhat reasonable hope is that he can still get his 200 innings and keep an era around 4. Thats about the best I expect out of him though.

2. EE isnt very good. Josh Roenicke is going to be 28 in a couple months and still has barely made it out of the minors (he is back in the minors in Toronto after finishing the year horribly). Stewart is a AA pitcher with potential. Thats all right now. Might he be good? Yes. Might he suck like a lot of other AA pitchers with potential? Yes.

To say that trade was a dumbass trade is a pretty dumbass thing to say. I usually agree with you on a lot of reds topics but this is definitely not one of them. This trade is looking good for the reds and the only thing that could really stop that from happening is if Stewart turns out to be a stud.

3. Aroldis isnt ready yet, but I dont know if it will take him a year. He might be ready at some point this year to at least be a quality pitcher. Hes probably a year or 2 away from being sweet though, I agree with that.

Archived