Leake's debut on Sunday to be historic

oldschooler

[b][size="5"]Leake's debut on Sunday to be historic[/size][/b]
[size="4"][b]Rookie will be 21st player to skip Minors and go to bigs [/b][/size]

By Jeff Wallner / Special to MLB.com

04/10/10 12:55 PM ET

CINCINNATI -- Mike Leake was born in San Diego. Reds manager Dusty Baker likened the 22-year-old right-hander to a "little surfer."

Leake's laid-back Southern California persona was in full effect on Saturday afternoon, one day before he's expected to make his historic Major League debut for the Reds at Great American Ball Park.

Leake, who was selected eighth overall by the Reds in the first round of the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, stood at his locker and addressed reporters prior to Saturday's game against the Chicago Cubs.

And, despite being a little more than 24 hours away from becoming just the 21st player since the Draft began in 1965 to make his debut without appearing in a Minor League game, Leake was calm and soft-spoken, displaying a demeanor not befitting the rarity of his achievement.

"I don't really have nerves," Leake said. "I look at it as just another game. Right now, I don't consider it to be any different. I guess, it really hasn't sunk in yet."

Leake will be the first Reds player to skip the Minors since shortstop Bobby Henrich, pitcher Jay Hook and catcher Don Pavletich made their debuts in 1957.

The last Major Leaguer to accomplish the feat was Xavier Nady in 2000, when he was a member of the San Diego Padres.

"It's rare," said Baker. "Most players don't have the maturity level. He's a competitor. He can locate as well as any young pitcher I've seen."

Leake last pitched on Monday in an extended spring game in Goodyear, Ariz. He allowed three runs on four hits in seven innings, walking one and striking out seven.

Leake has not yet been added to the 25-man roster and is prohibited from being in the dugout during games. To this point, Leake has been relegated to watching from the Reds' clubhouse.

On Sunday afternoon, the former Arizona State University star will venture on to the turf at Great American Ball Park for the first time as both a Major League player and that day's starting pitcher. "It'll all hit me when I show up in a trivia question," Leake said.

[url="http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100410&content_id=9197988&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb"]http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100410&content_id=9197988&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb[/url]

[quote name='CTA513' date='11 April 2010 - 02:32 PM' timestamp='1271014327' post='876748']
Has to cut down on the walks, but I expect him to do that since he won't be nearly as nervous as he was today.
[/quote]

He wasn't getting any calls on the corners.

And WOW did he get a hell of a shaving cream pie!!! :24:

Archived