Is it time for a new closer?

Jason

Hell no...not even close.

He still has a 3.2 something era which is solid, not great, but good. He only has 2 blown saves and hes pitched in a ton of games. He just needed a little rest and he will be back on his game.

Massett has been far more inconnsistent then Coco. Rhodes has been great, but I love him as the 7th/8th inning guy.

Massett and Rhodes as setup guys to Cordero makes for a very good group to close games.

If you look at our record when we have the lead after 7 or 8 innings this year and last it is VERY good.

um hell no. he convered 39 of 43 last year and got himself into sticky situations a lot last year too. it is the way he is. he doesnt go 1-2-3 in the 9th he gets a little pressure on himself. he had a ridiculous year last year and has like a 3.30 ERA currently. rhodes cant be a closer and masset is horribly inconsistent. cordero is the closer and no one else should even be considered over him.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='16 May 2010 - 11:09 AM' timestamp='1274026145' post='888608']
um hell no. he convered 39 of 43 last year and got himself into sticky situations a lot last year too. it is the way he is. he doesnt go 1-2-3 in the 9th he gets a little pressure on himself. he had a ridiculous year last year and has like a 3.30 ERA currently. rhodes cant be a closer and masset is horribly inconsistent. cordero is the closer and no one else should even be considered over him.
[/quote]

Still feel that way?

Time to try Sir Arthur.

[quote name='Jason' date='20 May 2010 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1274388885' post='889549']
Still feel that way?

Time to try Sir Arthur.
[/quote]

Seriously jason? The dude came into a 3 run game with bases loaded and 1 out and gave up one hit...he never should have been in that game to begin with though. Cordero is a dominant closer when he comes into the game in a save situation to start an inning. He shouldnt be entering games mid inning or in non save situations.

[quote name='Jason' date='20 May 2010 - 03:54 PM' timestamp='1274388885' post='889549']
Still feel that way?

Time to try Sir Arthur.
[/quote]

yes i still feel that way. 99% of closers suck when coming into the middle of jams. they dont get experience in it and its a totally different ball game that way. rhodes should have never left when he did. he faced the best better on their team and owned him and dumbass baker pulled him. cordero is the closer on this team though and no one else can do a better job of it.

[quote name='gatorclaws' date='20 May 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1274408519' post='889580']
I feel the same way about Cordero I did about Shayne... makes me nervous when he steps out there. The numbers may still be good, but he seems to always make you sweat it out by giving up walks/hits. Sure as hell wouldn't call him dominant.
[/quote]

shayne was never good in the clutch. cordero has made a career out of being clutch.

I find it very amusing how short of a memory some people have...do you guys remember who we had closing before cordero?

The dude saved 39 of 43 last year with a 2.12 era and was an allstar...hes had a couple bad games this year, but hes still a very good closer better then any option we have.

Although if chapman isnt gonna make the team as a starter next year i wouldnt be against seeing if he could close if we dont resign cordero.

Why not Arthur? Blowdero already has two blows this year in just over a month. Not to mention, he blew that game Saturday if not for a great save by Cabrera. I have no idea why Dusty only let Rhodes pitch to one batter. He has a ridculous ERA pitching to either side. Also, what was Dusty thinking, letting Lincoln start a third inning? So I blame Dusty as well. If Arthur started that inning, we're not having this conversation. But, Blowdero can't be off the hook. He gets paid a lot of money to enter those situations.

And what does the closer before Cordero have to do with right now? We're suppose to rate Cordero in comparison to who he replaced? Do we want a team that will make the play-offs or just a team that was better than the previous year?

there is a reason that a 40 year old relief pitcher who has been good for 20 years has never had more then 9 saves. Switch him and cordero and both their eras will go up guaranteed. It's not gonna happen. Closers blow saves every now and then, shit happens.

with that being said just cause he is the closer doesn't mean he has to close every opportunity. Rhodes should have finished that game off for sure.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='21 May 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1274447892' post='889613']
there is a reason that a 40 year old relief pitcher who has been good for 20 years has never had more then 9 saves. Switch him and cordero and both their eras will go up guaranteed. It's not gonna happen. Closers blow saves every now and then, shit happens.

with that being said just cause he is the closer doesn't mean he has to close every opportunity. Rhodes should have finished that game off for sure.
[/quote]
Rhodes not staying in was what made me the most furious. When he entered the game, I settled down and knew that he could wrap it up, then Dusty stepped in.

• 1 month later...

Archived