Your 1st Quarter of the Season M.V.P?

Which member of this Reds Organization has been the most valuable thus far?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Your 1st Quarter of the Season MVP - Player or Person.

• Aaron Harang
    • Bronson Arroyo
    • Johnny Cueto
    • Homer Bailey
    • Mike Leake
    • Joey Votto
    • Brandon Phillips
    • Orlando Cabrera
    • Scott Rolen
    • Ramon Hernandez
    • Chris Hannigan
    • Drew Stubbs
    • Johnny Gomes
    • Lance Nix
    • Jay Bruce
    • Nick Masset
    • Arthur Rhodes
    • Coco Cordero
    • Dusty Baker

Arthur Rhodes - everyone on the team credits him for being such a huge help and he is having a ridiculous year so far.

Leake comes in 2nd for sure. I'd say 3rd is Orlando Cabrera because he moved to the leadoff spot and has really jump started the offense that got this team rolling and it moved Stubbs to the 7 hole where he has been hitting since he isnt pressing now.

offensively can't really go with anyone but votto. Gomes has been great, but votto is leading in avg hrs and rbis I think.

pitching you'd have to go with leake or rhodes. But since rhodes is a setup guy you have to go with leake for pitching.

so comes down to votto or leake. Don't have stats with me but it's like .315 8 hrs and 25 rbis vs 4-0 2.8 era. Tough call.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 May 2010 - 05:04 PM' timestamp='1274047481' post='888639']
offensively can't really go with anyone but votto. Gomes has been great, but votto is leading in avg hrs and rbis I think.

pitching you'd have to go with leake or rhodes. But since rhodes is a setup guy you have to go with leake for pitching.

so comes down to votto or leake. Don't have stats with me but it's like .315 8 hrs and 25 rbis vs 4-0 2.8 era. Tough call.
[/quote]

you can go with other people than votto for sure.

without rhodes this team is not where they are right now. he is the most important person on the team because he keeps that rotation and bullpen in it mentally and works with them all as well as himself. u dont discredit someone for being the setup guy. the setup guy is honestly one of the most important people on the team. the setup guy and closer typically show what kind of mentality your team has. i dont think anyone in 1990 failed to recognize the nasty boys in our bullpen. Arthur Rhodes is the Reds All-Star representative if it was July right now.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 May 2010 - 05:10 PM' timestamp='1274047824' post='888640']
edit my stats were a lil off...votto is batting 289 a little behind gomes. Leakes era is 3.09. Close call. I'd go with leake it seems like he has motivated the other starters to show up so they don't get shown up by a rookie.
[/quote]

votto is 4th for batting average behind Ramon, Hanigan and Gomes.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='16 May 2010 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1274049236' post='888644']
votto is 4th for batting average behind Ramon, Hanigan and Gomes.
[/quote]
yeah I was out of town all weekend and when I left he was batting over 300 but he dropped this weekend. But who would you go with ofensivley besides him? I don't know if you caught that or not but I said offensively you can't really go with anyone else not on the whole team. Gomes is close though.

my top 5
1. Votto
2. Leake
3. Rhodes
4. Gomes
5. Rolen...not having a great year but he's heating up and brings a winning attitude. We are like 20 games over 500 in games we've played with rolen since last year.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 May 2010 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1274054805' post='888651']
yeah I was out of town all weekend and when I left he was batting over 300 but he dropped this weekend. But who would you go with ofensivley besides him? I don't know if you caught that or not but I said offensively you can't really go with anyone else not on the whole team. Gomes is close though.

my top 5
1. Votto
2. Leake
3. Rhodes
4. Gomes
5. Rolen...not having a great year but he's heating up and brings a winning attitude. We are like 20 games over 500 in games we've played with rolen since last year.
[/quote]

votto has the best all around stats but the most important piece to the lineup for our success has been cabrera hands down. he always seems to get our big innings started and he has been a beast with RISP in close games.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='16 May 2010 - 10:11 PM' timestamp='1274062283' post='888668']
votto has the best all around stats but the most important piece to the lineup for our success has been cabrera hands down. he always seems to get our big innings started and he has been a beast with RISP in close games.
[/quote]

I like Ocab too, but still have to go with votto on offense. The key though is to get lots of guys to contribute which we have been getting.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='17 May 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1274111862' post='888753']
I'll admit I haven't been a fervent Reds watcher so far this year, but I've been disappointed with Cabrera's range at short stop.
[/quote]

then your expectations were bad. he is signed because he doesnt fuck up defensively and he can hit. he wasnt signed to be a vacuum.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='18 May 2010 - 10:50 PM' timestamp='1274237454' post='889113']
then your expectations were bad. he is signed because he doesnt fuck up defensively and he can hit. he wasnt signed to be a vacuum.
[/quote]

I didn't really have any expectations. There's just been a handful of balls that should have been routine plays that he missed. Nothing more than that.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 May 2010 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1274054805' post='888651']

my top 5
1. Votto
2. Leake
3. Rhodes
4. Gomes
[/quote]

thats pretty much right on

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='16 May 2010 - 08:06 PM' timestamp='1274054805' post='888651']

my top 5
1. Votto
2. Leake
3. Rhodes
4. Gomes
[/quote]

It was between Scott Rolen and Leake for me, I only went with Rolen because like you said they are 20 games over .500 with him. He brings a professionalism to his craft that I think rubs off to the younger guys in the club house.

Joey Votto is a great offensive player and I think as fans of the game and this team we are lucky to have him - but from a leadership standpoint Rolen elevates the whole team.

As for leake - how is it that a 17 year old kid comes in straight from college and handles his business like he does, better than most of the veterans so far.

[quote name='The Scales' date='26 May 2010 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1274904092' post='890240']
It was between Scott Rolen and Leake for me, I only went with Rolen because like you said they are 20 games over .500 with him. He brings a professionalism to his craft that I think rubs off to the younger guys in the club house.

Joey Votto is a great offensive player and I think as fans of the game and this team we are lucky to have him - but [b]from a leadership standpoint Rolen elevates the whole team. [/b]

As for leake - how is it that a 17 year old kid comes in straight from college and handles his business like he does, better than most of the veterans so far.
[/quote]

Agreed...

[quote name='The Scales' date='26 May 2010 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1274904092' post='890240']

Joey Votto is a great offensive player and I think as fans of the game and this team we are lucky to have him - but from a leadership standpoint Rolen elevates the whole team.

[b]As for leake - how is it that a 17 year old kid comes in straight from college and handles his business like he does, better than most of the veterans so far.[/b]
[/quote]

Uh...leake isnt 17...

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='17 May 2010 - 11:57 AM' timestamp='1274111862' post='888753']
[color="#FF0000"]I'll admit I haven't been a fervent Reds watcher so far this year[/color], but I've been disappointed with Cabrera's range at short stop.
[/quote]

Banwagoner

:ninja:

• 1 month later...
Bumpbed for first half MVP

Most likely candidates...

Scott Rolen: .301, 17 homers, 53 rbis, .951 OPS, .293 w/RISP
Joey Votto: .312, 16 homers, 51 rbis, .974 OPS, .304 w/RISP
Johnny Gomes: .279, 9 homers, 51 rbis, .811 OPS, .421 w/RISP
Brandon Phillips: .309, 58 Runs most in majors i think, .839 OPS

Arthur Rhodes: 0.28 ERA, best in majors, 14 holds, 30 Ks 11 BBs, 32 IP 1 ER
Mike Leake: 5-1 2.92 ERA
Johnny Cueto: 8-2 3.74 ERA

I have to go with...Scott Rolen and Joey Votto tied for hitting and Arthur Rhodes at pitching.

Also if Bruce keeps it up he could fight his way into conention, since his bad start he is hitting like .300 and OPSing over .900. Also plays gold glove defense.

Off topic when was the last time we had 3 regulars hitting over .300

Archived