Reds Deliver, Fans' Turn Now!

[b][size="4"]Reds Deliver, Fans' Turn Now![/size][/b]
Reported by: [url="http://www.wcpo.com/content/aboutus/bios/story.aspx?content_id=e4823687-d9e1-4071-a64d-d3600f164dc7"][color="#000483"]Dennis Janson[/color][/url]
Email: [email="djanson@wcpo.com"][color="#000483"]djanson@wcpo.com[/color][/email]
Last Update: 8:29 am

Related Links [list][*][url="http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/First-Place-Reds-Beat-Brewers-6-3/V_nCKxdnVEOSw0CrbTzP-g.cspx"][color="#000483"]First-Place Reds Beat Brewers 6-3[/color][/url][*][url="http://www.wcpo.com/content/sports/reds/default.aspx"][color="#000483"]Cincinnati Reds Special Section[/color][/url][/list]

CINCINNATI -- Monday night's attendance at the first-place Reds' game with Milwaukee was announced as 12,409, or by ESPN's calculation, 29.3 percent of Great American Ball Park's capacity.

And that number included nearly 1,500 straight A-students, as guests of the club. That paltry turnout for a newly minted division leading team can be partly explained by the fact it was a week night with a threat of rain.

But how to explain only 63.1 percent capacity for Sunday's game when the Reds beat the Cardinals to claim sole possession of first place for the first time since June of 2006.

The Reds have to wonder what it will take to consistently lure fans to GABP?

Well here's one observation and it has nothing to do with concession prices (which are steep) or ticket prices. (which start at $5, edge up to $7 then quickly jump to $14 and beyond).

In my estimation, access to the ball park borders on dreadful if not dismal. We enter through a media entrance on the east side of the park on Pete Rose Way that is as unappealing as the underside of Chicago's "L" system.

Nearby there is a rusty set of steps that services both GABP and U.S. Bank Arena. It's haphazard appearance gives one the impression it is temporary. It isn't. And it's permanently ugly.

The garage that penetrates the underside of the ball park, reminds me of the entrance to that site in Nevada where they store nuclear waste.

Pigeons roost in the superstructure of the walkway that transcends from USBA to GABP, so there is always that little gauntlet to run going in and out.

The upper reaches of GABP for fan access are no less appealing. For starters, patrons have to cross two of Cincinnati's busiest thoroughfares to get to the gates. That is because of the paucity of economical parking within easy to moderate walking distance.

And that is largely a function of the stadiums location. They eliminated 180 degrees of their development opportunity because its snuggled up so close to the river.

But that gripe will have to wait for another day. We have what we have and what we have isn't fan friendly. The Reds have come a long way to reestablish their winning ways. They have an even longer up hill battle to entice fans to deal with so many endemic hindrances to attending games.

[url="http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Reds-Deliver-Fans-Turn-Now/RcS8MdbePkGrQXWzLzKuHg.cspx"]http://www.wcpo.com/...QXWzLzKuHg.cspx[/url]

I've been to a few games at GABP, and none of that stuff bothered me.

I think a lot of fans may be waiting for "the other shoe to drop". This team has played well before early only to swoon in June or July.

But I remember when the Reds last made the playoffs (1995?) the first home game was not sold out.

[quote name='Jason' date='18 May 2010 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1274196745' post='888951']
I've been to a few games at GABP, and none of that stuff bothered me.

[color="#FF0000"]I think a lot of fans may be waiting for "the other shoe to drop". This team has played well before early only to swoon in June or July. [/color]

But I remember when the Reds last made the playoffs (1995?) the first home game was not sold out.
[/quote]

This

Can't blame it on ticket prices or the economy when Jimmy Buffet packed the house at Riverbend last night. Those tickets certainly weren't cheaper than a Reds game.

Cincinnati is a fickle sports town and will always be a fickle sports town. If the Reds continue to do well, the fans will eventually come around and most of them will pretend that they were there all along.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 02:42 PM' timestamp='1274208127' post='888996']
This
[/quote]

Its partly true, but at the same point if you are a fan even if you are waiting for the other shoe to drop, why not at least go to games now when they are actually winning and are fun to watch?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1274213221' post='889020']
Its partly true, but at the same point if you are a fan even if you are waiting for the other shoe to drop, why not at least go to games now when they are actually winning and are fun to watch?
[/quote]

Because if they are like me you dont want to fall for it only to get your heart broken again.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1274214077' post='889022']
Because if they are like me you dont want to fall for it only to get your heart broken again.
[/quote]

First of all this team is nothing like past reds teams.
They have a great infusion of young studs, guys in their prime, and solid vets.
They have a great combo of hitting and pitching. They are getting solid production all around whether it be cabrera, rolen, votto, bruce, gomes, phillips, stubbs, catchers.
They have 5 solid starters and 4 or 5 solid guys in the bullpen.

They really dont have many weaknesses, maybe CF, but Stubbs is a great defender and he has been hitting a lot better in the 7 hole. And Heisey is showing some promise too.
This team isnt the same team weve had the past 10-15 years.

Second of all this team is very fun to watch. Whether they end up in the playoffs or winning the division or whatever, how does that have anything to do with whether or not fans should go to a game today or this weekend or whenever there is a game. They are fun to watch NOW, if that changes then think about not going. But not going to a game now because you think the other shoe is gonna drop off at some point in the future is just dumb.

Third of all, if and when the reds win something, whether a divison or the NL or the world series, Ill be a lot happier then shitty fans like you. Which is 100 percent fine with me. And that has nothing to do with how many games you go to.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 04:41 PM' timestamp='1274215304' post='889026']
So?
[/quote]

I just feel bad for people like you, always waiting for something bad to happen instead of enjoying the good.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1274215469' post='889028']
I just feel bad for people like you, always waiting for something bad to happen instead of enjoying the good.
[/quote]

First off, I am a big reds fan, my grandma taught us baseball as kids and all about the machine and I very much remember the last time we won the series as I was living in KY at the time.

But over the past few years the reds have shown me that they can play one hell of a half season of baseball and a half season where they look like the bad news bears.

So excuse me, no way dont excuse me because I dont care about your opinion on the matter, if I want to wait and see before I "put my heart in it".

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 04:45 PM' timestamp='1274215500' post='889029']
blah blah blah blah

with the shitty fans garbage
[/quote]

You are just a loser, plain and simple. I really feel bad for you.

Its like with the bengals, did they have some problems during the year? yes they did, but I chose instead to be happy with the winning and when we lost in the playoffs yeah it sucked, but i enjoyed the year we had. You instead just bitched all season about things that were going wrong.

There is a chance the reds will fall off at some point this year, but you know what, im gonna enjoy what we are doing now and keep my hope up that we will continue it. And also realize how much young talent we have and realize if we dont win this year we have a solid chance to be around the next few years. Instead you are gonna sit there waiting for the other shoe to fall off and then if it does you will be like "I told you so".

You are a very depressing person Jamie.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1274215726' post='889031']
You are just a loser, plain and simple. I really feel bad for you.

Its like with the bengals, did they have some problems during the year? yes they did, but I chose instead to be happy with the winning and when we lost in the playoffs yeah it sucked, but i enjoyed the year we had. You instead just bitched all season about things that were going wrong.

There is a chance the reds will fall off at some point this year, but you know what, im gonna enjoy what we are doing now and keep my hope up that we will continue it. And also realize how much young talent we have and realize if we dont win this year we have a solid chance to be around the next few years. Instead you are gonna sit there waiting for the other shoe to fall off and then if it does you will be like "I told you so".

You are a very depressing person Jamie.
[/quote]

Good for you enjoy it, I really dont care what you think.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1274215806' post='889032']
Good for you enjoy it, I really dont care what you think.
[/quote]

Have fun living your depressing ass life, and when we win the division please dont act like you have had faith in this team from day 1.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 04:51 PM' timestamp='1274215880' post='889033']
Have fun living your depressing ass life, and when we win the division please dont act like you have had faith in this team from day 1.
[/quote]

Actually I have a pretty good life thanks.

And I wont, I'm pretty sure I just said I am in "wait and see mode"

but if they do win please done act like your fandom means more or is any greater than mine

it's not

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1274215984' post='889035']
Actually I have a pretty good life thanks.

And I wont, I'm pretty sure I just said I am in "wait and see mode"

but if they do win please done act like your fandom means more or is any greater than mine

it's not
[/quote]

I dont have to wait for them to win to tell you that Im a great fan then you, I can tell you that right now.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 04:59 PM' timestamp='1274216358' post='889037']
I dont have to wait for them to win to tell you that Im a great fan then you, I can tell you that right now.
[/quote]

lolz

just because you say that or believe that, doesnt make it true, it makes it your opinion which I already said I could care less about

I mean, your gonna tell him he is a loser cause he isn't jumping on the Reds are gonna win the division ship?

Come on man..

When was the last time they put a whole season together. Really.

[quote name='JC' date='18 May 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1274216853' post='889040']
I mean, your gonna tell him he is a loser cause he isn't jumping on the Reds are gonna win the division ship?

Come on man..

When was the last time they put a whole season together. Really.
[/quote]

It's a pretty silly response to a "wait and see" opinion huh?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1274217675' post='889043']
lol. I love the "I can't support my team. I might get over emotional when they don't live up to my hype" excuse.

If a sports team failing is ruining any significant portion of your day or year, you have bigger issues than whether they succeed or not.
[/quote]

Who said I didnt support them? I'm just not going to fall for it again until they prove they can put together more than half a season.

Spare me that last little bit of trite it's the same trite you use regarding the bengals. It's simple on both fronts, you can be a fan and not be a homer.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1274218023' post='889045']
Who said I didnt support them? I'm just not going to fall for it again until they prove they can put together more than half a season.

Spare me that last little bit of trite it's the same trite you use regarding the bengals. It's simple on both fronts, you can be a fan and not be a homer.
[/quote]

It has nothing to do with being a homer, it has to do with rooting for your team through thick and thin and hoping for the best. Not just being a pessimist and thinking every good thing will be followed by a bad thing.

The way I see it, someone that "waits and sees" is basically a band wagon fan.
Someone that is excited now and wants to watch and support the team now
is a true fan. Please don't act like every fan is on the same level. They're not.

Sure I have been "fooled" before. But it won't stop me for following every game
this season. Or every other season since I was about 6 years old.

I thought it was pathetic to watch the game last night as see so many empty seats.
Yeah, Cincy is a baseball town. But it is really a bandwagon town.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 05:27 PM' timestamp='1274218023' post='889045']

[/quote]

you can try and slice it however you want, but the fact remains that you are choosing not to believe in the team because you have an inability to control your emotions.

Don't blame the team, blame yourself.

Archived