Reds Deliver, Fans' Turn Now!

[quote name='oldschooler' date='18 May 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1274223821' post='889058']
The way I see it, someone that "waits and sees" is basically a band wagon fan.
Someone that is excited now and wants to watch and support the team now
is a true fan. Please don't act like every fan is on the same level. They're not.

Sure I have been "fooled" before. But it won't stop me for following every game
this season. Or every other season since I was about 6 years old.

I thought it was pathetic to watch the game last night as see so many empty seats.
Yeah, Cincy is a baseball town. But it is really a bandwagon town.
[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote name='JC' date='18 May 2010 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1274216853' post='889040']
I mean, your gonna tell him he is a loser cause he isn't jumping on the Reds are gonna win the division ship?

Come on man..

When was the last time they put a whole season together. Really.
[/quote]

You dont have any idea what this is about...its not about believing we are gonna win the division. Its about supporting your team when they are doing well or doing not well. In this specific case Jamie is saying he isnt supporting his team even if they are doing well because he doesnt think they will sustain it.

Which is just dumb.

I might not like certain decisions Bengals or Red coaches, managers, owners, and players make. But I support them through thick and thin, win or lose. I root for them every game and if they win great, if they lose it sucks.

But not putting your heart and effort into a team cause you think they are just gonna lose is very dumb and very bandwagon esque.

Some people just dont get it...

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1274225325' post='889065']
You dont have any idea what this is about...its not about believing we are gonna win the division. Its about supporting your team when they are doing well or doing not well. In this specific case Jamie is saying he isnt supporting his team even if they are doing well because he doesnt think they will sustain it.

Which is just dumb.

I might not like certain decisions Bengals or Red coaches, managers, owners, and players make. But I support them through thick and thin, win or lose. I root for them every game and if they win great, if they lose it sucks.

But not putting your heart and effort into a team cause you think they are just gonna lose is very dumb and very bandwagon esque.

[/quote]

It's about having passion for a team you claim to be a fan of.
Some just don't have it.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1274225325' post='889065']

Which is just dumb.

[/quote]
Sports just isn't everything in life to some people too man.. Remember that. I enjoy the Reds. I enjoy the way they're playing now. I have watched a lot less of them ever since I have started to grow older. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan. Doesn't mean I don't support them..it just means I don't take time out of my life all the time to watch them.

I don't even get where Jamie said he isn't supporting them? He just said he is waiting until they put together a full season before jumping overboard in excitement. I mean..it's not like you know him personally, it shouldn't be that big of a deal? To go off and tell him he is a sad person and a loser is just a little bit overboard and kind of stupid.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='18 May 2010 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1274225805' post='889069']
Some just don't have it.
[/quote]

Yeah, I had a long post about bandwagon fans in another thread Mully I think started...

Basically it said you get what you put in. And by put in I dont mean money or how many games you go to, i mean the emotions and heart you put into your team.

For those fans that put in a lot to their teams, that get excited when they win and hurt when they lose, that root and hope for their team to win each and every game, well when their team wins they will get heavily rewarded.

For those fans that root for a team when they are winning, or just sort of follow along, or dont really get excited when the team is doing well cause they are waiting for the other shoe to drop, well they wont be as rewarded. Yes they will probably be happy and might even pretend to be so estatic, but the truth is the fans that put their heart and soul into their team will feel more rewarded then the other fans that sort of put effort into their team.

At the same point, those diehard fans will hurt more when their team loses, but the more you hurt when they lose the more you will be happy when they win.

[quote name='JC' date='18 May 2010 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1274226206' post='889073']
Sports just isn't everything in life to some people too man.. Remember that. I enjoy the Reds. I enjoy the way they're playing now. I have watched a lot less of them ever since I have started to grow older. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan. Doesn't mean I don't support them..it just means I don't take time out of my life all the time to watch them.

[/quote]

I agree with everything you said, and I don't think that's the issue being discussed. We're talking about (at least I am) about individuals who are purposely staying away because they are afraid to get too emotional. If you can't watch sports and keep your emotions (not like your immediate reaction emotions) in check, then there's something wrong with you. Like you said, its not life and death. If a sports team is breaking your heart, go see a psychiatrist.

That time of year again? It's simple. They sucked and have sucked for a while. Interest in the team is just now picking up. There was no interest in the Reds during the offseason the prime time to sell tickets. Thus, pending on "walk up" sales is a tough environment because fans have found other things to do with their time and money. It will take time for the interest just created to translate into consistent big crowds.

Bengals saw the same thing. People dumped tickets. There was not a whole lot of hope. So each home week it was the same thing. It takes alot for people to make time and money for sporting events in this day and age.

I'd doubt it has very little to do with anything Janson stated.

Quite honestly, I think it's bush league to go on a small hot streak then automatically question the fans. Tacky, IMO.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1274218802' post='889054']
It has nothing to do with being a homer, it has to do with rooting for your team through thick and thin and hoping for the best. Not just being a pessimist and thinking every good thing will be followed by a bad thing.
[/quote]

Here is the thing, if the way I choose to follow my team elicits an emotional response from you, then I dont think I'm the one with a problem, because its one thing to be emotional about your team, its quite another to be emotional about other fans and how the follow the team.

Next, the Reds have been in first for all of a few days, if you remember they were in a similar spot last year (see c-trents article) so me saying "ill wait and see" is neither pessimistic or optimistic its simply saying based on recent history that there is no reason for me to get excited about them until I see this in the august time frame then ill know it wasnt another tease like they have been doing the past few years.

What is sad to me is that you feel the need to "hate fans like me". Thats what's sad, root for them your way, I'll root for them mine, but dont get off thinking your a better fan than I am, you're not.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1274224785' post='889061']
you can try and slice it however you want, but the fact remains that you are choosing not to believe in the team because you have an inability to control your emotions.

Don't blame the team, blame yourself.
[/quote]

again spare me this trite

every fan that screams and cheers their team cant control their emotions either right? right?

same thing

[quote name='oldschooler' date='18 May 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1274223821' post='889058']
is a true fan. Please don't act like every fan is on the same level. They're not.

I thought it was pathetic to watch the game last night as see so many empty seats.
[/quote]

what a bunch of crap

someone that waits and see can still follow the team but not get excited about it until it means something

so spare me this banwagon garbage and realize the difference

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1274225325' post='889065']

Which is just dumb.

[/quote]

thats not what the fuck im saying at all, again too many people on this board love to put words in my mouth

what I said was that Im not "getting up" for it, I can follow them like you can but the difference between getting up for it in may after only a few games of being in first and getting up for it when it means something is pretty different.

your right about one thing

some people really dont get it

[quote name='oldschooler' date='18 May 2010 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1274225805' post='889069']
Some just don't have it.
[/quote]

there is passion and there is blindness to reality

Whatever you say Jamie...its like arguing with a 5 year old, im done. And honestly i dont care how you root for the reds, all I know is I am going to enjoy this while it lasts, hopefully until october, if not then when this point comes around next year or the year after or whenever.

[quote name='JC' date='18 May 2010 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1274226206' post='889073']

[color="#FF0000"]I don't even get where Jamie said he isn't supporting them? He just said he is waiting until they put together a full season before jumping overboard in excitement.[/color] I mean..it's not like you know him personally, it shouldn't be that big of a deal? To go off and tell him he is a sad person and a loser is just a little bit overboard and kind of stupid.
[/quote]

exactly and its rather pathetic that anyone would get upset or bothered by that

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1274232430' post='889092']
Whatever you say Jamie...its like arguing with a 5 year old, im done. And honestly i dont care how you root for the reds, all I know is I am going to enjoy this while it lasts, hopefully until october, if not then when this point comes around next year or the year after or whenever.
[/quote]

it is like arguing with a 5 year old

a 5 year old thinks you should feel the same way he does about things

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1274226289' post='889074']
Yeah, I had a long post about bandwagon fans in another thread Mully I think started...

Basically it said you get what you put in. And by put in I dont mean money or how many games you go to, i mean the emotions and heart you put into your team.

For those fans that put in a lot to their teams, that get excited when they win and hurt when they lose, that root and hope for their team to win each and every game, well when their team wins they will get heavily rewarded.

For those fans that root for a team when they are winning, or just sort of follow along, or dont really get excited when the team is doing well cause they are waiting for the other shoe to drop, well they wont be as rewarded. Yes they will probably be happy and might even pretend to be so estatic, but the truth is the fans that put their heart and soul into their team will feel more rewarded then the other fans that sort of put effort into their team.

At the same point, those diehard fans will hurt more when their team loses, but the more you hurt when they lose the more you will be happy when they win.
[/quote]

now see 1181 thinks you need to learn to control you emotions

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 08:00 PM' timestamp='1274227246' post='889076']
I agree with everything you said, and I don't think that's the issue being discussed. We're talking about (at least I am) about individuals who are purposely staying away because they are afraid to get too emotional. If you can't watch sports and keep your emotions (not like your immediate reaction emotions) in check, then there's something wrong with you. Like you said, its not life and death. If a sports team is breaking your heart, go see a psychiatrist.
[/quote]

Figure of Speech - A figure of speech is a use of a word that diverges from its normal meaning, or a phrase with a specialized meaning not based on the literal meaning of the words in it such as a metaphor, simile, or personification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_speech

[quote name='scharm' date='18 May 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1274229558' post='889084']
That time of year again? It's simple. They sucked and have sucked for a while. Interest in the team is just now picking up. There was no interest in the Reds during the offseason the prime time to sell tickets. Thus, pending on "walk up" sales is a tough environment because fans have found other things to do with their time and money. It will take time for the interest just created to translate into consistent big crowds.

Bengals saw the same thing. People dumped tickets. There was not a whole lot of hope. So each home week it was the same thing. It takes alot for people to make time and money for sporting events in this day and age.

I'd doubt it has very little to do with anything Janson stated.

[color="#FF0000"]Quite honestly, I think it's bush league to go on a small hot streak then automatically question the fans. Tacky, IMO.[/color]
[/quote]

Completely agree

[/quote]

Now wait a minute, Old. I'm going to take Jamie's side on this for a moment because the Reds, unlike the Bengals, haven't really given fans a reason to hope for much recently as compared to what the Bengals have done. I can't avoid comparing the two, because to me, I pretty much like them about equally (even if I tend to like football more than baseball in general) but I am tired of early season histrionics by the Reds, only to be utterly disappointed, scraping along sports-wise until at least pre-season can relieve my Reds constant loop of mediocrity.

The Reds have been pretty shitty ever since I lived here and became a fan of both local teams in 1992, the 1996 playoffs and 1998 "Al Leiter game" notwithstanding.

I root for the Reds hardcore, but I simply cannot see why anyone would call out someone else for expressing doubt about an outcome to a Reds season that has been pretty much playing itself out on a loop since 1997.

The Bengals have done more to get better than the Reds in recent years. Maybe the Reds are for real this season, I don't know! I hope they are! I want them to be!

But it doesn't mean that expressing reservations about a sports team makes you any less of a fan of that team. Or that you don't openly support them during brief periods (thank the length of the baseball season) of goodness when the track record is shit.

FTR, I still go to a couple games a year...watch a few, listen to a few...but my interest level has been eclipsed by the Bengals due to the fact that the Bengals have been better than the Reds for awhile and that I like football better than baseball in general.

There's no harm in expressing doubt about the Reds current short-lived success. When's the last time they've done that over the course of a season? 1990?

Its fair.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='18 May 2010 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1274233910' post='889099']
Now wait a minute, Old. I'm going to take Jamie's side on this for a moment because the Reds, unlike the Bengals, haven't really given fans a reason to hope for much recently as compared to what the Bengals have done. I can't avoid comparing the two, because to me, I pretty much like them about equally (even if I tend to like football more than baseball in general) but I am tired of early season histrionics by the Reds, only to be utterly disappointed, scraping along sports-wise until at least pre-season can relieve my Reds constant loop of mediocrity.

The Reds have been pretty shitty ever since I lived here and became a fan of both local teams in 1992, the 1996 playoffs and 1998 "Al Leiter game" notwithstanding.

[color="#FF0000"]I root for the Reds hardcore, but I simply cannot see why anyone would call out someone else for expressing doubt about an outcome to a Reds season that has been pretty much playing itself out on a loop since 1997.

The Bengals have done more to get better than the Reds in recent years. Maybe the Reds are for real this season, I don't know! I hope they are! I want them to be!

But it doesn't mean that expressing reservations about a sports team makes you any less of a fan of that team. [/color]Or that you don't openly support them during brief periods (thank the length of the baseball season) of goodness when the track record is shit.

FTR, I still go to a couple games a year...watch a few, listen to a few...but my interest level has been eclipsed by the Bengals due to the fact that the Bengals have been better than the Reds for awhile and that I like football better than baseball in general.

There's no harm in expressing doubt about the Reds current short-lived success. When's the last time they've done that over the course of a season? 1990?

Its fair.
[/quote]

THANK YOU!!

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 09:21 PM' timestamp='1274232117' post='889089']
again spare me this trite

every fan that screams and cheers their team cant control their emotions either right? right?

same thing
[/quote]

see, now reading comprehension was never your strong suit Jamie. We're not talking about in the heat of the moment. We're talking about longstanding emotion. If you're still fuming an hour after the game, you've got issues.

Or in your case, if you're purposely holding back because you know you can't control it, seek help.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 09:23 PM' timestamp='1274232233' post='889090']
what a bunch of crap

[b]someone that waits and see can[/b] still follow the team but not get excited about it until it means something

so spare me this banwagon garbage and realize the difference
[/quote]

lol typical Jamie. Always riding the fence so that he has deniability (in his own mind) when he's proven wrong.

They do well: "I knew it all along!"

They fail: "I told you they would suck. It was just a matter of time."

Like clockwork.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1274236012' post='889105']
see, now reading comprehension was never your strong suit Jamie. We're not talking about in the heat of the moment. We're talking about longstanding emotion. If you're still fuming an hour after the game, you've got issues.

Or in your case, if you're purposely holding back because you know you can't control it, seek help.
[/quote]

get over yourself, bung called it dead on and you know it

[quote name='oldschooler' date='18 May 2010 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1274223821' post='889058']

[/quote]

wonderful post as usual old

I think a lot of people are missing the whole point of this thread.

This thread was about why people dont go to games.

And Jamie was agreeing with fans that dont go because they have seen this happen before where the other shoe falls out.

Not going to a reds game (especially when they are good and in first place) because you think the other shoe might eventually fall off is just dumb. Plain and simple.

Archived