Reds Deliver, Fans' Turn Now!

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1274224785' post='889061']
you can try and slice it however you want, but the fact remains that you are choosing not to believe in the team because you have an inability to control your emotions.

Don't blame the team, blame yourself.
[/quote]

good post

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1274236196' post='889107']
lol typical Jamie. Always riding the fence so that he has deniability (in his own mind) when he's proven wrong.

They do well: "I knew it all along!"

They fail: "I told you they would suck. It was just a matter of time."

Like clockwork.
[/quote]

you really are dumb

i have no idea how they will do and neither do you

i want them to win, but recent history shows they play half a good season and half a bad one and dont put together a full one i dont feel the need to get excited about them until it matters

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='18 May 2010 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1274238223' post='889119']
completely agree. they arent fans they just like to wait for the good times and then hop on and act like they were there the whole time.
[/quote]

whatever

you have no right to question my fandom and like the others i dont care what you think either

Heres my whole point...a fan or the reds who lives close to cincy and can afford to go to games, decides NOT to go to games like the one against the cards to take the division over because they think at some point down the line the reds will fall out of contention.

How can you call yourself a fan if that is you? Now if the reds are in 5th place and you dont wanna spend your money to go watch them, i can understand that i guess, but to not go to a game with the only reason being because you think they will fall out of contention at some point later in the season? I think that is dumb, and I dont get how you could think differently.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 11:11 PM' timestamp='1274238697' post='889128']
Heres my whole point...a fan or the reds who lives close to cincy and can afford to go to games, decides NOT to go to games like the one against the cards to take the division over because they think at some point down the line the reds will fall out of contention.

How can you call yourself a fan if that is you? Now if the reds are in 5th place and you dont wanna spend your money to go watch them, i can understand that i guess, but to not go to a game with the only reason being because you think they will fall out of contention at some point later in the season? I think that is dumb, and I dont get how you could think differently.
[/quote]

Taking the division in may is one thing

Taking the division and holding on to it through aug/oct is quite another

Ive seen this play out before, they did it last year, and the year before that, ect ect

I dont get why people are excited, its a long season and getting excited about it now is fine but it doesnt mean anything yet

I dont get how people get excited based on the recent history of what this team has done

If I want to wait and see before I get excited about it, its only based on that recent history and for ANYONE to say I'm a banwagon fan or less of a fan than you are makes THEM an absolute joke

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='18 May 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1274238929' post='889130']
id rather be a homer instead of being a negative douche
[/quote]

lol you calling anyone a douche is the ultimate in irony

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1274238938' post='889131']
lol another Jamie ritual. Avoiding the topic.
[/quote]

avoid nothing you simply dont get it (and I notice how you avoid what he said)

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1274239055' post='889132']

avoid nothing you simply dont get it [b](and I notice how you avoid what he said)[/b]
[/quote]

I'm not having a discussion with Bung. And his last post has some merits and flaws. He says he's refusing to get his hopes up. Playing the fence, like you.

There's a flaw there. You should be able to get your hopes up and walk away harm free when it doesn't work out. If you can't walk away at the end unscathed emotionally, that's your own fault. You guys are refusing to even hope.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 11:17 PM' timestamp='1274239055' post='889132']
Taking the division in may is one thing

Taking the division and holding on to it through aug/oct is quite another

Ive seen this play out before, they did it last year, and the year before that, ect ect

I dont get why people are excited, its a long season and getting excited about it now is fine but it doesnt mean anything yet

I dont get how people get excited based on the recent history of what this team has done

If I want to wait and see before I get excited about it, its only based on that recent history and for ANYONE to say I'm a banwagon fan or less of a fan than you are makes THEM an absolute joke

lol you calling anyone a douche is the ultimate in irony

avoid nothing you simply dont get it (and I notice how you avoid what he said)
[/quote]

Im not saying you have to get overly excited...but you are pretty much saying you would only go to games if you knew they were gonna be good. And if THAT is true, which is what I think you have been saying, it pretty much verifies you are a type of bandwagon fan.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1274239320' post='889135']
hahaha

he basically echoed what i was saying so then what?
[/quote]

Bung said he roots for the reds hardcore, and im guessing if and when he has a chance to go to a game he would probably take that opportunity (well at least thats what most hardcore fans would do)...you pretty much said you would only go if you had no doubt we were gonna be good.

There should be an easy disconnect. One should be able to get their hopes up and still walk away at the end unscathed emotionally. If you can't, that's on you. And if you're afraid to get your hopes up because you're too emotionally fragile to realize that its just sports, that's on you.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1274239235' post='889134']
Im not saying you have to get overly excited...but you are pretty much saying you would only go to games if you knew they were gonna be good. And if THAT is true, which is what I think you have been saying, it pretty much verifies you are a type of bandwagon fan.
[/quote]

thats not what i said at all, please try to follow

you said you dont get why fans arent going, and i said because they are basically waiting for the other shoe to drop like it has the past few years

its pretty simple

the wind has been taken out of the sails, getting up for them year after year only to see them choke has done that to people it will take time and seeing if they are for real or not before people are ready to start spending their money on them again

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='18 May 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1274239416' post='889136']
Bung said he roots for the reds hardcore, and im guessing if and when he has a chance to go to a game he would probably take that opportunity (well at least thats what most hardcore fans would do)...you pretty much said you would only go if you had no doubt we were gonna be good.
[/quote]

no i didnt say that, i said pretty much what bung said

i dont go because i dont live there dumbass

if i lived there id go so long as they were still statistically in it

im not gonna go watch a team that is putting out the guys to work out for next year, as thats just a waste of money

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 11:26 PM' timestamp='1274239569' post='889137']
There should be an easy disconnect. One should be able to get their hopes up and still walk away at the end unscathed emotionally. If you can't, that's on you. And if you're afraid to get your hopes up because you're too emotionally fragile to realize that its just sports, that's on you.
[/quote]

you really have a hard time with grasping the whole figure of speech concept huh?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1274239720' post='889141']
no i didnt say that, i said pretty much what bung said

i dont go because i dont live there dumbass

if i lived there id go so long as they were still statistically in it

im not gonna go watch a team that is putting out the guys to work out for next year, as thats just a waste of money

you really have a hard time with grasping the whole figure of speech concept huh?
[/quote]

Ok then if that is true I think you are a better fan then those that arent going just cause they are waiting for the other shoe to fall...at this point no one knows if the reds will make the playoffs this year...but there is no denying that this team is fun to watch and they have some solid good young players worth watching. So choosing not to go to a game with the sole reason being you think in the future the other shoe would drop is a very poor decision. I dont see how you are disagreeing with that? But whatever...

Its almost like people are thinking well if we go to this game in may and they dont make the playoffs in october it was a dumb decision to go the game 4 months prior.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='18 May 2010 - 11:15 PM' timestamp='1274238929' post='889130']
id rather be a homer instead of being a negative douche
[/quote]
[quote]i hate talking duke with you cuz you are way to big of a homer. we are going to suck ass this year, no doubt[/quote]

I mean..I remember this in the Seth Curry thread. :shrug:

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1274239720' post='889141']

[/quote]

ahh yes my comments are merely about your one post and not the concept as a whole. It's all about you Jamie. lol. :lol:

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 11:41 PM' timestamp='1274240461' post='889146']
ahh yes my comments are merely about your one post and not the concept as a whole. It's all about you Jamie. lol. :lol:
[/quote]

you addressed me by quoting me, and now you back away from that

hmm

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='18 May 2010 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1274240554' post='889149']
not really.[color="#FF0000"] my internet personality intentionally tries to piss retarded people off.[/color] the douches are the ones who fall for it.
[/quote]

thats pretty pathetic

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='18 May 2010 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1274240542' post='889148']
you addressed me by quoting me, and now you back away from that

hmm
[/quote]

yes, I addressed your quote while also discussing a broader topic at the same time. It's not all about you and your ego Jamie.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' date='18 May 2010 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1274240554' post='889149']
not really. my internet personality intentionally tries to piss retarded people off. the douches are the ones who fall for it.
[/quote]

yea I gotta agree with Jamie on this one. A douche is a douche.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='18 May 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1274239207' post='889133']
I'm not having a discussion with Bung. And his last post has some merits and flaws. He says he's refusing to get his hopes up. Playing the fence, like you.

There's a flaw there. You should be able to get your hopes up and walk away harm free when it doesn't work out. If you can't walk away at the end unscathed emotionally, that's your own fault. You guys are refusing to even hope.
[/quote]

I agree that I have a flaw, and the cure for that is...[size="5"]more cowbell![/size]

Seriously, it isn't as much about emotional shit (although there is some truth to that, I hate getting all worked up over the Reds and getting my poor widdle feelings trampled on when they have the post all-star collapse year after year), but ultimately to me its more about the time investment. If my team perennially sucks it becomes harder and harder for me to justify trying to catch all the games on TV/radio and going to more than a couple games at GABP when quite simply there are better things I can be doing with my time because I sacrifice other things I could be doing with my life or family to watch them. If the product sucks, I'll only keep buying it for so long.

And then of course, predictably, I fall into the trap again the following season.

Anyway, if there's any recent Reds team that's for real, I do think its this one. Color me cautiously optimistic.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='19 May 2010 - 07:20 AM' timestamp='1274268022' post='889163']
I agree that I have a flaw, and the cure for that is...[size="5"]more cowbell![/size]

Seriously, it isn't as much about emotional shit (although there is some truth to that, I hate getting all worked up over the Reds and getting my poor widdle feelings trampled on when they have the post all-star collapse year after year), but ultimately to me its more about the time investment. If my team perennially sucks it becomes harder and harder for me to justify trying to catch all the games on TV/radio and going to more than a couple games at GABP when quite simply there are better things I can be doing with my time because I sacrifice other things I could be doing with my life or family to watch them. If the product sucks, I'll only keep buying it for so long.

And then of course, predictably, I fall into the trap again the following season.

Anyway, if there's any recent Reds team that's for real, I do think its this one. Color me cautiously optimistic.
[/quote]

I just don't see what the trap is. Root cheer, get your hopes up, spend as much time as you see fit. It's just sports. There should be no trap to get caught in regardless of the outcome.

Do you go to see a movie because its entertaining or because its oscar worthy? Sports, like movies, are nothing more than entertainment. Something you can get lost in in the moment, and then disconnect from once its over.

The end of the season is like the end of a movie. The ending may leave you happy or disappointed, but regardless its not going to make much of a difference in your life in the real world once you walk out of that theater.

Archived