What to watch on TV next year

Jamie_B

Everything I watch is ending or getting canceled (granted its a very small list)

Heroes

The only things I watched were 24, Heroes, football and now V

so V and Football is it.

Suggestions? (and I dont have HBO)

V, still hoping Flashforward gets saved by ABC or SyFy. Fringe will be back and is starting to get good again. JJ Abrams has a new cop show coming out on NBC that I'll check out since its JJ. Happy Town still has potential. I know little about it, but I'll probably give Matthew Perry's new show a shot since I like him, and I want to see the new buddy cop show on Fox with Collin hanks and Bradley whitfield (still miss Studio 60).

Also, if its back, I may catch up on Damages since it won't be up against Lost anymore.

Man, I didn't watch network TV before Lost. Now I practically watch something every night. Sometimes 2.

[quote name='Montana Bengal' date='19 May 2010 - 10:13 AM' timestamp='1274278415' post='889199']
Dexter anyone?
[/quote]
Dexter.

Go get seasons 1-4 and prep for season 5. Gonna be stellar.

I dont have showtime either.

[quote name='BENGALS666' date='19 May 2010 - 10:26 AM' timestamp='1274279190' post='889203']
Three fantastic shows..

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Sons of Anarchy
[/quote]

What are the premise of each of these?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='19 May 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1274282229' post='889211']

[/quote]

breaking bad is about a highschool science teacher who finds out he has cancer. He starts to make meth to raise money for his family after he is dead.

Both breaking bad and mad men are on amc

Hannah Montana
iCarly
Reruns of Beverly Hills 90210
The Hills
Dr.Who

all of these are probably 97-99% awesome.

[quote]

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
Sons of Anarchy
[/quote]

[b]Breaking Bad[/b] = This is about vases and other types of fragile objects that break and when they do they are bad. The show follows a team that tries to piece back together these objects.

[b]Mad Men[/b] = This follows around a bunch of older Upper Class white men who are mad and blame everything on the Mexicans, Blacks, and Hippies.

[b]Sons of Anarchy[/b] = A bbc show that recaps the youth of England rebelling against the queen and Mormons.

House and V are the only two shows I make time to watch. I always run through the History, Discovery, and National Geographic channels to see what's on. That's about it.

Thurman listed iCarly, not sure if we was serious or not. I watch it with my daughter every once in a while and it's surprisingly lol funny at times.

The daughter also found the new Full Metal Alchemist series on demand so we watch those when they're available.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='19 May 2010 - 11:17 AM' timestamp='1274282229' post='889211']
[/quote]

[b]Breaking Bad[/b] - A high school chemistry teacher learns he has cancer, but hides it from his family. Knowing he has only a short time to live he enlists a former student/meth-head/wigger-fuckup to buy an old RV and cook meth out in the desert using his chemistry background he subsequently creates the "best" meth the area has ever seen which interests the DEA, Mexican drug cartel etc. Great dramatic tension throughout - lotsa of well executed dark humor and fantastic acting jobs by everyone. Edge of your seat type stuff.
Excellent show - must be watched from the beginning

[b]Sons of Anarchy[/b] - Hells Angels type Cali Motorcycle Club defends it's turf against all rivals including Mexi Bikers, White Power groups etc. A running Shakespear's "Hamlet" story spans the various seasons. Great, well-known cast...

[quote name='BENGALS666' date='19 May 2010 - 07:12 PM' timestamp='1274310728' post='889383']
Pretty sure Dexter is done after the next season. Sadly MC Hall has cancer :-(
Best to him - hoping he recovers quickly..
[/quote]
Im 99% positive he is in remission currently.

It could be the last season though. Would be a fucking bummer though. Is there anyone out there better than Micheal C Hall? Anyone ever watch six feet under? I'm thinking about checking that out since Hall was in it. My favorite actor by leaps and bounds.

[quote name='JC' date='19 May 2010 - 04:58 PM' timestamp='1274313496' post='889386']
[b]Im 99% positive he is in remission currently.[/b]

It could be the last season though. Would be a fucking bummer though. Is there anyone out there better than Micheal C Hall? Anyone ever watch six feet under? I'm thinking about checking that out since Hall was in it. My favorite actor by leaps and bounds.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/23/michael-c-hall-fully-reco_n_550174.html"]You would be correct.[/url]

[quote name='JC' date='19 May 2010 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1274313496' post='889386']
Im 99% positive he is in remission currently.

[/quote]

That's good news then. Still, I'm pretty sure this will be the last season. He must get snagged by the sister very soon.
I watched the entire 6 Feet Under series when it ran originally. Hall is the featured character in some episodes but most often just plays the gay "straight guy" (if there can be such a thing) to the main character (his brother). 6 Feet had it's moments but was often a bit overbearing as well. Total mind-fucker of a final episode though.

If folks are interested in going back and watching DVD series then nothing tops HBO's gamut of shows over the last 10 years..
[b]The Wire[/b] - possibly the best show TV has known. Never got its due in the press. None of these network cop/forensic type shows even come close..
[b]Deadwood[/b] - If you don't know Al Swearingen you don't know shit. Fantastic series. Greatest dialogues ever..
[b]Sopranos[/b] - You know the deal - Goodfellas type NY/NJ mafia show. Lives up to the hype.
[b]Rome[/b] - Very good first season and OK second season. Covers Caesar, Octavian, Mark Antony etc.
[b]Carnivale[/b] - mystical dust bowl era show where good meets evil in a traveling carny setting. Lost fans would also dig this..

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/dexter-star-michael-c-hall-cancer-free-says-wife-jennifer-carpenter/story-e6frf7jx-1225857693108?from=public_rss

[quote][b][size="2"]Dexter star Michael C Hall cancer-free, says wife Jennifer Carpenter[/size][/b]

THE wife of actor Michael C Hall says the Dexter star is "fully recovered'' from cancer and has returned to work.

Jennifer Carpenter said overnight that Hall was "incredibly brave'' when he announced in January that he was undergoing treatment for Hodgkin's lymphoma, a cancer that attacks the lymph nodes.

The 38-year-old Hall went into remission and continued treatment at a health facility near Los Angeles.

[b]Hall won a Screen Actors Guild Award and a Golden Globe Award earlier this year for his portrayal of Dexter, a serial killer who targets other murderers.[/b]

Carpenter stars on the bloody hit series as Dexter's seemingly unknowing sister.[/quote]

I've also enjoyed Human Target on Fox.

I think V may flourish now that Lost is ending. Even though they repeatedly tried, ABC never learned that you can't put another drama on after Lost. Invasion failed, Life of Mars failed, and V is still fighting for its place. Not because they are bad shows, but because of their timeslots. The last thing Lost fans want to do after getting their mind blown by an episode of Lost is to watch another drama. Comedies would have worked well after Lost, but ABC never got that.

What three things did Invasion, Life on Mars and V have? All great premises that suffered from bad "network" type production. I don't think V has a chance.
ABC should take note of what some of the cable networks do with their dramas. Amazing that the king of cheesy cable-made movies SciFi could swoop in a make a series as effective as Battlestar Galactica (and Caprica) yet ABC still cranks out the duds..

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='19 May 2010 - 08:57 AM' timestamp='1274277437' post='889190']
yeah I'm watching V for sure, as I was a fan of the original

I like the sci/fi like heroes and V, and liked 24 because i like spy thrillers (which doesnt exactly fit but its along the lines)
[/quote]

if you like sci fi then get caught up on fringe and watch it next year. awesome show. the mentalist is also good and yes i would definitely catch jj abrams new show on nbc next fall.

[quote name='Enon Bengal' date='19 May 2010 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1274287532' post='889236']
House and V are the only two shows I make time to watch. I always run through the History, Discovery, and National Geographic channels to see what's on. That's about it.
[b]
Thurman listed iCarly, not sure if we was serious or not. I watch it with my daughter every once in a while and it's surprisingly lol funny at times.
[/b]
The daughter also found the new Full Metal Alchemist series on demand so we watch those when they're available.
[/quote]

i did not list icarly lol

house is great too.

if you never saw the sopranos (rent them, the best way to do this is just do the cheapest netflix account. ) its one of the greatest shows of all time. i got so hooked on it i watched the entire series in 2 months.

the tv show weeds seems to be good (im only in the middle of season 2 though)

Archived