Griffey Retiring

http://reds.enquirer.com/2000/03/06/red_griffey_downplays.html

I know I've posted that link before, but it's one of my favorite moments of all-time. Sitting with my Dad down the 3rd base line in Sarasota, I called this HR right after the count went 3-0. And damn near pissed myself when he actually hit it.

I know Griffey - was a few years behind him at Moeller...

But, honestly - bar none, was the best baseball player I've ever seen. Still is. I hate he had all the injury issues in Cincy because if he hadn't he'd easily hold the homerun title.

Nice guy too. Wasn't arrogant or anything. I caught up with him after he'd been in Seattle for about 3 years and was just known universally as "Jr." and he was just as nice as he had been in high school.

I'm with you on your fuck the haters sentiment.

Griff would have smashed the record if he would have stayed healthy and he probably would have done it at GABP which would have been cool. Bummer it didn't end the way it should have..

I still remember when the Reds signed Griffey...I was stunned. I couldn't believe that he wanted to come here. He was one of the best I've ever seen play and its just too bad that the injuries he suffered here (and AFAICT, all were the result of him going all-out on a play) cost him so many games.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajv_8XG9TSQ[/media]

I can't find a video of this, but does anyone remember Will Ferrell doing Harry Caray at the 1998 ESPY awards? He came out and insulted John Elway, Tiger Woods and of course, Ken Griffey Jr. This audio doesn't quite do it justice because you can't see the looks on these guys faces as Ferrell insults them but Tiger and Junior looked [i]pissed[/i]!

Archived