Utah, Nebraska, Colorado, Boise State changing conferences.

Bengals1181

Surprised no one is talking about this. Breaking News today is that the University of Nebraska has all but formally announced that they are joining the Big Ten, with an official announcement coming by Friday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5268408

Fox Sports Ohio is also reporting that the Big Ten has formally offered them an invitation, which wouldn't happen unless they already knew Nebraska's answer.

The Big Ten and Notre Dame are also at the discussion table, and word is Missouri was only waiting to see what Nebraska does.

Could be the Big 14 very soon.

Somehow find a way to get texas, that would be sweet.

Supposedly in the next few years we might end up seeing 4 16 team conferences. Im guessing that would mean the Pac10 getting their 6 from the Big 12. Big 10 getting some from the big east and big 12. Sec getting some from the big 12 maybe big east too. Then ACC getting the rest of the big east?

I dont know but the conferences are going to look very different in a few years probably.

I can't say I'm a big fan of a 14-school conference. Assuming that the primary reason for expansion is to divide into divisions and establish a Big Ten Championship game, then the formula requires that you have exactly two divisions. 14 teams in two division is seven teams per division. Eight in-conference games, including one against each of the other six schools in your division, leaves only TWO non-division games per year. With seven schools in the other division, you'll only get to see each of them once every 3 or 4 years, and only get to complete a home-and-home with them after seven years - two years longer than the longest possible red shirt college player's career.

12 teams is perfect, IMO. Six teams in your division means 5 of 8 games are scheduled, leaving 3 non-division games per year for the other six non-division foes... you get a full home-and-home against everybody in only 4 years. And even if you have to split traditional rivals into different divisions AND commit to playing them every year, that's still 2 games per year against the other FIVE non-division teams, home-and-home in 5 years, exactly the same term as a red-shirt career.

If the Big Ten expands to Nebraska, Missouri, and Notre Dame, how do you divide the league so that the Championship game is somewhat meaningful? East-West would see Penn St, Michigan, Ohio State and presumably Notre Dame in the same division, with relatively little comparable strength in the other division (NEB-MO-IA-MIN-WISC-ILL-NW). Plus, with the East powerhouses all playing each other, that's SIX losses to distribute between the four teams... meaning you've either got a 3-loss team or a pair of 2-loss teams minimum - no way that would look attractive to the BCS.

If they divide North-South, you're probably looking at MINN-IA-WISC-NW-ND-MICH-MSU in the north and PSU-OSU-PUR-IND-ILL-MO-NE in the south. Lots of protected rivalries get severed (OSU-MICH, PSU-MSU, NW-ILL) and one expected rivalry (MO-IA) never gets started. If you commit to a game against these school's traditional rivals, then that leaves only ONE non-division game to rotate between 6 schools.... 12 years to complete a home-and-home with all of them. NFW.

No sir, I don't like 14. May as well go 15 and have three five-school divisions with a wildcard playoff system.

Hell, here's my Big Fifteen plan:

Step One - Expand by adding 4 schools: Nebraska, Mizzou, Notre Dame and either Rutgers or Boston College (TV)

Step Two - Divide into THREE 5-school divisions

B15EASTERN = Rutgers/BC, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State
B15CENTRAL = Notre Dame, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern
B15WESTERN = Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska

Step Three - Implement the following formula for an 8-game conference schedule:

Play all teams in your division once (4 games)
Play two teams from each of the other two divisions once (4 games)
Rotate the non-division games over a 5-year span, bringing each team to your stadium once, and sending your team to their stadium once, every five seasons

Step Four - Use this playoff format:

Three division champs make the playoffs. #3 seed at #2 seed, while #1 seed gets a bye to the finals. Following week, the two finalist play at a predetermined site - preferably NOT in a dome in Indianapolis, St Louis, Minneapolis or Detroit. I would even award the championship game to the school that won the previous year's title, with the proviso that no team may host consecutive championships. So, if last year's champ wins it on their home turf, next year's title game will be hosted by this year's runner-up. Easy peasy.

that is what I've been hearing around here as well...

I guess my biggest question is what market does Nebraska open up to the Big Ten? Nothing regarding television. They were better when the rumor was Syracuse / Rutgers... those bring in New York / New Jersey television markets...

I hope it happens, honestly. That forces Texas, Oklahoma, et al to make a decision... here's to hoping that the SEC either gets Texas, Texas Tech, and then goes after a Florida State and Clemson (or Georgia Tech)... to get to a "Big 16"...

suweet... all that said, not a fan of the 4 super conference deal. Makes it difficult to play conference opponents on a relatively regular basis. You could go 5-6 without playing some of your conference opponents.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='09 June 2010 - 11:52 PM' timestamp='1276141965' post='892417']
Somehow find a way to get texas, that would be sweet.

Supposedly in the next few years we might end up seeing 4 16 team conferences. Im guessing that would mean the Pac10 getting their 6 from the Big 12. Big 10 getting some from the big east and big 12. Sec getting some from the big 12 maybe big east too. Then ACC getting the rest of the big east?

I dont know but the conferences are going to look very different in a few years probably.
[/quote]

not gonna happen. Texas isn't going anywhere without Tech, and the Big Ten has no interested in Texas' illegitimate little brother.

[quote name='AmishBengalFan' date='10 June 2010 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1276142631' post='892418']

If the Big Ten expands to Nebraska, Missouri, and Notre Dame, [b]how do you divide the league so that the Championship game is somewhat meaningful?[/b] East-West would see Penn St, Michigan, Ohio State and presumably Notre Dame in the same division, with relatively little comparable strength in the other division (NEB-MO-IA-MIN-WISC-ILL-NW). Plus, with the East powerhouses all playing each other, that's SIX losses to distribute between the four teams... meaning you've either got a 3-loss team or a pair of 2-loss teams minimum - no way that would look attractive to the BCS.

[/quote]

East: OSU, PSU, Mich, Mich State, Indiana, Purdue, Northwestern

West: Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, Illinois

yes, Northwestern is slightly more west than ND, but it would work fine. Then if you want to do 16, it breaks out fine to add a Rutgers (East) and say Kansas (West, who I still think would be a nice fit in the Big Ten).

It also preserves rivalries. OSU-Mich, OSU-PSU, Mich-MSU, Ind-Purdue, Wisconsin-Minny, Missouri-Illinois (a newer one). Don't think you'll see Michigan and OSU in separate divisions as the possibility of playing twice a year diminishes the prestige of the rivalry.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='10 June 2010 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1276202432' post='892601']
On 97.1 in cbus, they are saying texas and texas a&m are close to joining the big 10...anyone else hear anything about that?
[/quote]

heard rumblings, but no sources. The source who broke the Nebraska story is saying it's false.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='10 June 2010 - 07:05 PM' timestamp='1276211131' post='892613']
heard rumblings, but no sources. The source who broke the Nebraska story is saying it's false.
[/quote]

Bummer I got really excited for a bit, they were making it sound like it was a done deal. Oh well...

Texas doesn't want the Big 12 to break up because if you look at the revenue sharing structure that is currently in place they get a disproportionate amount of the revenue, as opposed to the other member schools. Apparently, quite a bit of bitterness within the schools in that conference because Texas sees so much more of the revenue than the other schools do.

I don't think Texas moves unless their hand is forced to by a complete collapse within the Big 12... if they only lose 1 or 2 teams (say Colorado to Pac-10 and Nebraska to Big Ten) the Big 12 will probably replace them with two other teams (maybe a Boise State and TCU) and keep on trucking...

Archived