The Official 2010 World Cup Thread

Germany has looked great this tournament. Crazy how so many people wrote them off when Ballack went down (myself included). That was a mistake. Obviously the Deutchland has some firepower and enough leadership without him. Klose, Podolski, Mueller, Ozil, Scheinstieger (sp?), to just name a few.

I did a WC pool where you pick the results of the entire tournament before it starts. I had Spain defeating the Dutch in the final. I don't know if Spain will get by Germany now. Yeah, I had Spain beating Argentina in the semi-finals.

Germans. I really think it's theirs putting up a four spot on England and Argentina? Wow.. Schweinsteiger has probably been the best player in the tourny. Messi, Ronaldo, and Rooney were blank shells. Makes me wonder why Maradona would keep Messi central even when he is best served on running at people on the outside. Not smart.

Big blow the Germans aren't going to have Mueller next round, but Spain isn't playing great futbol anyways.

Hopefully Mike Bradley is playing up at a better team in the Bundesliga next year and learning from these guys. Anyone here know a good site for the latest transfer rumors? I've seen Deuce and Napoli and Liverpool, Landon and Everton+Man U, and Jozy linked to Napoli as well. Adu out at Aris..sigh. I can't seem to find anywhere to find the good stuff though.

Also, Dunga out with Brasil. Not surprised. No way he should have left some of the players he left off. Even if they don't play his brand of ball.

Hopefully the US is looking at this and seeing that Bob doesn't fit our style. And Klinsi could.

[quote name='JC' date='03 July 2010 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1278204275' post='895713']

Big blow the Germans aren't going to have Mueller next round, but Spain isn't playing great futbol anyways.

[/quote]

Oh that's right. I was watching when he got that yellow. The announcer had it right...harsh. It was a borderline handball call, but I have no problem with calling it but in no way was it intentional to book him for it. Definitely a point to make with FIFA about going back to dropping yellow cards after the group stage. I know they want to curb thug soccer, as do I, but when you have refs getting card happy and players facing a suspension for a very questionable card the rule sucks.

[quote name='JC' date='03 July 2010 - 07:47 PM' timestamp='1278204476' post='895714']
Also, Dunga out with Brasil. Not surprised. No way he should have left some of the players he left off. Even if they don't play his brand of ball.

Hopefully the US is looking at this and seeing that Bob doesn't fit our style. And Klinsi could.
[/quote]

Someone new has to be brought in. Bob does not make good tactical decisions and has a group of players he continually turns to that are questionably international-caliber. With ODP all over the country and the biggest organized youth program in the world, it's frustrating that we can't develop strikers and defenders. Youth programs need to target the superior athletes and recruit and keep them in soccer and keep them from always turning to football, basketball, etc. At the start of the WC they had a segment on ESPN about "what if" our top athletes played soccer. LeBron, Kobe, Randy Moss, a couple other NBA players, etc. I coached a group of boys, some of them from 1st grade through 8th grade, and it takes a constant recruitment effort to keep them in soccer. Many of them tried football but they came back. Two of the players are easily in the top 3 or 4 athletic kids in their grade. Those two happened to letter as freshmen and one of them made all-conference. But anyways, something needs done where a country of over 300 million struggle against a country of 3 million.

[quote name='MAGICTOUCH' date='03 July 2010 - 09:26 PM' timestamp='1278206793' post='895720']
Someone new has to be brought in. Bob does not make good tactical decisions and has a group of players he continually turns to that are questionably international-caliber. With ODP all over the country and the biggest organized youth program in the world, it's frustrating that we can't develop strikers and defenders. Youth programs need to target the superior athletes and recruit and keep them in soccer and keep them from always turning to football, basketball, etc. At the start of the WC they had a segment on ESPN about "what if" our top athletes played soccer. LeBron, Kobe, Randy Moss, a couple other NBA players, etc. I coached a group of boys, some of them from 1st grade through 8th grade, and it takes a constant recruitment effort to keep them in soccer. Many of them tried football but they came back. Two of the players are easily in the top 3 or 4 athletic kids in their grade. Those two happened to letter as freshmen and one of them made all-conference. But anyways, something needs done where a country of over 300 million struggle against a country of 3 million.
[/quote]
What a guy like Chris Johnson or Rajon Rondo could do on the wings or a guy like Lebron James or Andre Johnson could do at striker could propel the US to the next level. Our youth system really isn't cutting it. We need the MLS to become better. We need the Academies to become better. It needs to be soccer, soccer, soccer all day every day for those guys. Just like it's in europe. Sadly, I think football is too big of a sport and will continue to take on the top athletes as will the NBA. I wish it were the US national team..

The card on Mueller is a shame. Guy has been a monster all tourny and he is going to miss the next match, just as Suarez will. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Very incidental on Mueller's part. Germany might not need him the way they're playing anyways.

[quote name='CincyInDC' date='07 July 2010 - 03:14 PM' timestamp='1278540854' post='896197']
Just got home from watching the Germany vs. Spain game. Shouting "Viva México" really pisses off Spaniards.

Just sayin'
[/quote]

:24:

Glad to see Spain win, I felt they deserved it.

The Dutch played thug soccer, what a hack-fest!

Both teams had their chances, with some better finishing and/or keepers not making plays, this could have been a high scoring match. Or someone could have taken early control and changed the entire flow.

Four more years...ugh

2014 Brazil, here we come!

Archived