Reds about to trade for Cliff Lee?

Jocketty in a press conference.. hopefully this is the news..
Give Mariners any prospects they want....Francisco, Alonso and Wood would be a nice package...
hell throw in Maloney..
Lee would give the team their ace and what a staff that would be!

[quote name='claptonrocks' date='18 June 2010 - 06:54 PM' timestamp='1276901657' post='893792']
Jocketty in a press conference.. hopefully this is the news..
Give Mariners any prospects they want....Francisco, Alonso and Wood would be a nice package...
hell throw in Maloney..
Lee would give the team their ace and what a staff that would be!
[/quote]

Are you just making shit up? Or are you hearing something? Please explain...

I wish. I wouldn't mind giving up big prospects to shore up our starting pitching by getting Lee and jettisoning Harang. We'll still need bullpen help, though. Who can we get to help us there that's available besides bringing up our own?

• 3 weeks later...
[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/05/reds-have-interest-in-lee/"][b][size="5"]Reds have interest in Lee[/size][/b][/url]
Posted by [email="johnfayman@aol.com"]jfay[/email] July 5th, 2010, 6:21 pm

The Reds have talked to Seattle Mariners about left-hander Cliff Lee. The talks happened when the Reds were in Seattle a couple of weeks ago.

Tampering rules prevent general manager Walt Jocketty on commenting on a player from another team. But in general terms, it sounds like Lee would be the type of player that Reds would target.

"I will say this: We're looking at anyway we can to improve the club," Jocketty said. "To improve the club, it would have to be a pretty significant player to do that. We have a lot of good things going. We don't want to disrupt that."

Seattle wants an impact bat for Lee. Former top pick Yonder Alonso fits that bill. Despite Alonso struggles this year – he's hitting .246/.283/.365 at Triple-A – he's still regarded highly in baseball circles.

Lee, 31, is 8-3 with a 2.34 ERA for the Mariners. He went 14-13 with a 3.22 ERA last year with Cleveland and Philadelphia. He went 22-3 with a 2.34 ERA in '08 with Cleveland.

He makes $9 million this year and is a free agent after the season.

My guess is it would takes more than Alonso to get Lee. I think how Edinson Volquez does upon his return will also affect the Reds' interest.

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/05/reds-have-interest-in-lee/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/07/05/reds-have-interest-in-lee/[/url]

Yeah Old, Volquez...and then there's Bailey to think about too! I don't think we really need more starting pitching unless we can jettison Harang and his salary. I've always liked Harang's workmanlike approach, but he just isn't the same pitcher he once was. He isn't as bad as he was awhile ago I guess, but his stuff isn't all that great. I'm not sure if we make a move. We have a great offense, good starting pitching and a decent defense. Our bullpen, despite some shaky moments, isn't too bad either.

And then what to do with Andrew Wood?

Fuck. I just want them to keep winning and remain relevant past the All Star break!

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='05 July 2010 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1278388287' post='895947']
the bullpen has actually been really good for a little while now...masset has looked better and ondrusek and smith have pitched well recently.
[/quote]

I'd still like another consistent guy like Rhoades. The guys you've mentioned have run hot and cold.

Maybe Chapman and Bailey can be those guys, maybe it can be a trade.

I'm with Bung. I don't think the club needs to give up top prospects for a pitcher that they would effectively rent for half a season. As the G.M mentioned the team is in a pretty good place right now.

If I knew that I could sign him to a good deal right now, and depending on what Seattle wanted - i'd be more apt to do it. He's an ace. He's a pro. He would boost the team in wins. He could potentially be a key player in winning a championship.

Not really interested in giving up a bunch of prospects to rent lee for half a year.
If he agreed to a reasonable extension then maybe, but he'll want a Sabathia type deal.

So pass. Although he would make us a World Series contender I believe.

Just hope St. Louis doesn't get him!

[quote name='Jason' date='06 July 2010 - 01:51 PM' timestamp='1278438668' post='896009']
Is Harang on his last year? If so, I make the deal right now. We could re-sign Lee for about what Harang is making, maybe a little more. Or we could try, anyway.
[/quote]

That would be the only way to do it. We could pay Lee what we are paying Harang. And end up with a much better pitcher.

[quote]Cliff Lee is traded -- again
The 31-year-old lefty, who was dealt from Cleveland to Philadelphia at last year's deadline and then to Seattle in the offseason, is traded for the fourth time in a year, completing the round-trip back to Ohio as the Reds build a package around 2008 first-round pick Yonder Alonso -- the kind of middle-of-the-order bat the Mariners need -- to add a true No. 1 starter. The trade affirms Walt Jocketty's status as the Don of the Deadline, and when Lee goes CC Sabathia on the NL -- 10-1, 1.44 ERA, six complete games, a handful of Cy Young votes -- it's enough to help the Reds relegate Jocketty's old team, the Cardinals, to second-class citizens in the NL Central. The first postseason game in Great American Ball Park is a sellout, but the Reds, behind Bronson Arroyo, drop a 7-2 decision to the Phillies and are eliminated shortly thereafter.[/quote]

5 bold predictions

SI.com

[quote name='Jason' date='09 July 2010 - 11:06 AM' timestamp='1278687990' post='896433']
Better than the Cardinals.

But not by much.
[/quote]

Looks like the deal with the yankees fell through, and it came down to the reds and rangers, but looking like texas.

At least it shows that walt and ownership are willing to do a lot to win this year.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' date='09 July 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1278709748' post='896488']
Looks like the deal with the yankees fell through, and it came down to the reds and rangers, but looking like texas.

At least it shows that walt and ownership are willing to do a lot to win this year.
[/quote]

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. I do like the message that the small-market Reds are sending to the fans and players in all this, at least being in the discussion for a superstar player.

Archived