Leake to be skipped, Chapman to pen

JBandJoeyV

Thought this definitely deserved its own thread...

[quote]Leake to be skipped, Chapman to ‘pen Posted by jfay June 23rd, 2010, 2:32 pm
There were two developments on the pitching front this morning:

–Mike Leake will be skipped for Cleveland series. Leake is on pace to pitch 200 innings this season. The Reds don’t want him to pitch nearly that many. “We have a round number,” Walt Jocketty said. “Probably 170, but it’s not etched in stone.”

Bronson Arroyo will start Sunday, the day Leake was scheduled. Leake will Tuesday against Philadephia.

The rotation: Friday — Aaron Harang; Saturday — Sam LeCure; Sunday — Arroyo; Monday — Johnny Cueto; Tuesday –Leake; Wednesday – Harang.

–The Reds will look at Aroldis Chapman for a relief role. Chapman pitched in relief of Edinson Volquez today at Louisville. Chapman allowed a run on two hits. He walked one and struck out three.

“With Volquez coming on and (Homer) Bailey not that far away, his best opportunity with us might be in the bullpen. There’s still a possibility will use him as starter,” said Jocketty.[/quote]

So I dont know if Leake was skipped, more like pushed back. Makes sense.

Bigger news though is that they might use Chapman out of the pen. Id give him some opportunities in the pen in lousiville and then maybe he'll be able to come up around the all star break. Keeps his innings down and gets his feet wet in the big leagues.

I put this in another thread but this could be are pitchers come July/August.

Rotation
Cueto, Volquez, Arroyo, Leake and either Harang or Bailey

Bullpen
LHP-Bray, Chapman, Rhodes
RHP-Either Harang or Bailey or even Lecure, either Ondrusek or Smith whoever pitches better the next few weeks, Nick Masset, and Francisco Cordero.

Then when you wanna give leake a start off or something you could let Harang, Bailey or Lecure whoever is in the bulllpen make a spot start for him.

Sounds good to me, lots of ifs, but could be really solid.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='23 June 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1277319638' post='894455']
This sounds like an excellent idea. I can't find one fault with it once volquez comes back and harang/bailey/lecure/whoever goes to the pen.
[/quote]

Plus you would have like 5 starters plus 2/3 guys that can make start spots in the pen, it will help keep Leake and Chapman and maybe even Cueto fresh and keep their innings down.

If chapman can have good control in the pen, he should be very good, cause he doesnt give up too many hits.

Rays did this with David Price, and look at him now. (not to mention it helped them get to the world series in 08).

Here's my question. What do we do with Leake if we make the post season? He has been our best pitcher all season and if we have a shot at the playoffs, I want him in the rotation in the post season.

[quote name='Jason' date='23 June 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1277320520' post='894461']
Here's my question. What do we do with Leake if we make the post season? He has been our best pitcher all season and if we have a shot at the playoffs, I want him in the rotation in the post season.
[/quote]
If we make the playoffs Leake will be pitching regardless of how many innings he pitches in this season.For the playoffs you do what ever it takes to win.

[quote name='Jason' date='23 June 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1277320520' post='894461']
[/quote]

Hes on pace for 200...they want him at 170. Im sure if we make the playoffs they would be fine if he pitched like 180, probably 185 tops.

It shouldnt be too hard to save him some innings. For example if you push him back a couple days every now and then that will save a few innings every time, and if you just completely skip him over a couple times thats 6-7 inning each time.

I think he'll be alright. The closer we get to July/August/Sep while still being in the race, the more you'll see him get some help here and there.

Excellent news about Chapman being used in the bull pen. With Volquez and Bailey nearing their returns to the rotation, there simply isn't room for him there. In case anyone hadn't noticed, the bull pen needs help and a left handed flame thrower should work nicely.

Rotation:

Arroyo
Cueto
Harang
Leake/Volquez/Bailey

Bull Pen:

Cordero
Rhodes
Herrera
Chapman
Masset
Owings

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='23 June 2010 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1277321735' post='894470']
Excellent news about Chapman being used in the bull pen. With Volquez and Bailey nearing their returns to the rotation, there simply isn't room for him there. In case anyone hadn't noticed, the bull pen needs help and a left handed flame thrower should work nicely.

Rotation:

Arroyo
Cueto
Harang
Leake/Volquez/Bailey

Bull Pen:

Cordero
Rhodes
Herrera
Chapman
Masset
Owings
[/quote]

Sub out Herrera for Bill Bray.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' date='23 June 2010 - 11:27 PM' timestamp='1277350039' post='894513']
Is bray due back soon? I don't think i've seen anything about him at all this season.
[/quote]

He's been mowing them down in the minors so far. I just hope he is finally healthy and can stay that way.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='25 June 2010 - 12:40 PM' timestamp='1277484019' post='894723']
chance to tie it with a win or take the lead with a win and a cards loss tonight
[/quote]

Not really a chance to tie, both teams play tonight so we will either be down 1.5 games, .5 games, or up .5 games.

But yes, lets sweep the indians and hope the cards lose a couple!

Archived