Couple weekend notes

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/06/26/couple-weekend-notes/"][b][size="5"]Couple weekend notes[/size][/b][/url]
Posted by [email="jreedy@enquirer.com"]jreedy[/email] June 26th, 2010, 11:28 am

The NFL Rookie Symposium starts on Sunday in Carlsbad, Calif., where sometime this week we can expect the traditional question of all first-round picks — do you expect to report to training camp on time? In the case of Jermaine Gresham at the end of minicamp, the first-round tight end did not give any guarantees either way.

"That's up to my agent and the people upstairs," said Gresham when asked if he expected to be on the field for the first practice on July 29.

Gresham's statement was better than last year's by Andre Smith who said at the symposium about signing on time: "That's number one, I want to be there on time because I want to give myself the best opportunity to play the first game."

(Click the link below for the entire article)

[url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/06/26/couple-weekend-notes/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/2010/06/26/couple-weekend-notes/[/url]

[quote]“That’s up to my agent and the people upstairs,” said Gresham when asked if he expected to be on the field for the first practice on July 29.

[b]Gresham’s statement was better than last year’s by Andre Smith who said at the symposium about signing on time: [/b]“That’s number one, I want to be there on time because I want to give myself the best opportunity to play the first game.”[/quote]

am I the only one failing to see how that's better?

Same game every year. Agent stalls. Teams dangles the carrot and has the player by the balls.

Like last year Bengals are in the driver seat even more. They had two guys playing well enough at right tackle. They'll have a vet who they love and another young TE that will be hungry for snaps.

As a fan of course you want the pick in as soon as possible. But it would be interesting to see what Coffman could/would do if the holdout became extended in which preseason games are missed.

Gresham answer is at least honest. Players turn it completely over to the agent.

[quote name='scharm' date='27 June 2010 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1277652993' post='894856']
Same game every year. Agent stalls. Teams dangles the carrot and has the player by the balls.

Like last year Bengals are in the driver seat even more. They had two guys playing well enough at right tackle. They'll have a vet who they love and another young TE that will be hungry for snaps.

As a fan of course you want the pick in as soon as possible. But it would be interesting to see what Coffman could/would do if the holdout became extended in which preseason games are missed.

Gresham answer is at least honest. Players turn it completely over to the agent.
[/quote]

I'd be pretty shocked if there's a holdout of any more than like a day or two this time around. It's pretty rare for a mid-first rounder to holdout.

I'm usually pretty critical of the Bengals negotiating style with 1st rounders, but they really were in a tough spot last year with the Raiders giving DHB way too much money and dealing with an inexperienced agent. Shouldn't have any complicating factors like that this year.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='27 June 2010 - 10:57 AM' timestamp='1277650671' post='894854']
am I the only one failing to see how that's better?
[/quote]

That's exactly what I was thinking. I actually reread it to make sure I didn't miss something.

[quote name='Missya15' date='27 June 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1277670818' post='894864']
Can i ask a question,as a young person. Has a late round 4-7th pick ever held out? Im curious lol
[/quote]

Not sure. I know there were a couple years were some later round guys for the bengals bulked because Marvin and Mike wanted to include clauses like work out attendance and stuff. Might have had them report a day late or something.

Agent was basically using their clients future to protest the additions of clauses into the contract that could have altered the existing CBA.

[quote name='Missya15' date='27 June 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1277670818' post='894864']
Can i ask a question,as a young person. Has a late round 4-7th pick ever held out? Im curious lol
[/quote]

Eric Ghiaciuc (4th round pick) signed a couple days after training camp started in 2005.

[quote name='Cricket' date='27 June 2010 - 06:56 PM' timestamp='1277682989' post='894874']
Eric Ghiaciuc (4th round pick) signed a couple days after training camp started in 2005.
[/quote]

If he had been here for the whole camp, just imagine how good he could have been. :lmao:

[/quote]

If memory serves, Ratliff showed up to camp a week or two late. I remember this because it was the day of the intrasquad scrim & I was in Georgetown. Having been there all afternoon none of us knew he'd signed until he ran onto the field.

[quote name='T-Dub' date='30 June 2010 - 11:02 PM' timestamp='1277953335' post='895437']
If memory serves, Ratliff showed up to camp a week or two late. I remember this because it was the day of the intrasquad scrim & I was in Georgetown. Having been there all afternoon none of us knew he'd signed until he ran onto the field.
[/quote]
Ratliff was a 2 round pick.

[quote name='happyrid' date='27 June 2010 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1277653686' post='894857']
I'd be pretty shocked if there's a holdout of any more than like a day or two this time around. It's pretty rare for a mid-first rounder to holdout.
[/quote]

I'd say maybe more than a day or two, but later first round picks usually do sign quicker than the guys iun the first half.

Archived