iPhone 4?

[quote name='Bunghole' date='04 July 2010 - 10:58 PM' timestamp='1278298684' post='895812']
Why would anyone care about HDTV on a miniature screen? What good is that?
[/quote]
I asked the same question once. It's not the picture on the little screen that it applies to, it's the fact that it can output that signal to a big TV. So you can carry around your phone as a video player, plug it into a TV at, say, a hotel or a friend's house.

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='05 July 2010 - 09:31 AM' timestamp='1278336698' post='895831']
I asked the same question once. It's not the picture on the little screen that it applies to, it's the fact that it can output that signal to a big TV. So you can carry around your phone as a video player, plug it into a TV at, say, a hotel or a friend's house.
[/quote]

Ah, gotcha. I guess I'm just old and don't really appreciate some of this newer technology. I mean...its a [u]phone[/u]! Who cares that it can take hour long videos, play goofy little games other than a bunch of showing off/status symbol bullshit?

I like many features on modern phones...touchscreens/scrolling, voice-activated commands, things that let you...USE THE PHONE AS A PHONE!

I'll go crawl back into my rocking chair and yell at little kids on my lawn now...

[quote name='Bunghole' date='05 July 2010 - 10:14 AM' timestamp='1278339285' post='895839']
Ah, gotcha. I guess I'm just old and don't really appreciate some of this newer technology. I mean...its a [u]phone[/u]! Who cares that it can take hour long videos, play goofy little games other than a bunch of showing off/status symbol bullshit?

I like many features on modern phones...touchscreens/scrolling, voice-activated commands, things that let you...USE THE PHONE AS A PHONE!

I'll go crawl back into my rocking chair and yell at little kids on my lawn now...
[/quote]
Get yourself a Jitterbug, old man.

I was like you, recently, until I decided to splurge and got a Droid. I use that thing for everything now. It's pretty amazing how a stupid little device can change your life if you explore the possibilities. It has actually helped make me more productive. I don't even refer to it as my "phone" anymore, since it is so much more. It's my Droid. Funny thing about phones like the Droid that have bare-bones Android running on them: you can remove the "phone" icon altogether. Still makes calls and everything, but you can push that functionality as far to the side as you want to...

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='05 July 2010 - 09:18 AM' timestamp='1278346701' post='895852']
Get yourself a Jitterbug, old man.

I was like you, recently, until I decided to splurge and got a Droid. I use that thing for everything now. It's pretty amazing how a stupid little device can change your life if you explore the possibilities. It has actually helped make me more productive. I don't even refer to it as my "phone" anymore, since it is so much more. It's my Droid. Funny thing about phones like the Droid that have bare-bones Android running on them: you can remove the "phone" icon altogether. Still makes calls and everything, but you can push that functionality as far to the side as you want to...
[/quote]

I'm usually really confident in my tech analysis and generally know exactly what I want, but I have been vacillating for months between whether to get a Droid or an iPhone. A co-worker just got the MyTouch 3G, and a friend last night had the iPhone 4.

I *still* can't decide, as both are incredibly well done devices...

I have Droid, and getting DroidX in about 10 days now. Love the Droid. I've been able to watch all the World Cup games from my phone while working, surf the web, play games when waiting at doctors, etc. Keeps my schedule really well, heck, I even watched some of the NFL draft from my phone while being out on the go. Replaces my entire music setup. The phone is amazing.

Go Android !!!

[quote name='steggyD' date='05 July 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1278383710' post='895937']
I have Droid, and getting DroidX in about 10 days now. Love the Droid.[b] I've been able to watch all the World Cup games from my phone while working,[/b] surf the web, play games when waiting at doctors, etc. Keeps my schedule really well, heck, I even watched some of the NFL draft from my phone while being out on the go. Replaces my entire music setup. The phone is amazing.

Go Android !!!
[/quote]

I just can't imagine that...watching TV while working I mean. Especially on an itty-bitty screen. But...I do have the radio on and regularly visit non-work related websites while I'm on the clock at my work, so who am I to complain?

Finally pulled the trigger.

I wanted a GPS and I needed a new phone.

So I bought the Garminfone.

Yeah, yeah, I know it's running an old version of Android, but so far so good.

I have my GPS, I have a phone on a network that doesn't drop calls left and right, and I can download apps that make fart noises...

[quote name='CatScratchFever' date='03 July 2010 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1278169632' post='895672']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

Yeah, those are funny. There's a bunch of them out there. Should be fun to play with that site come football season. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVzm8vVjHGs[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC9QfXac[/media]

I miss my iPhone :(

it got an apparent "dead strip" to where the touch screen doesn't work about an inch down from the top all the way across the screen. I was lucky enough to pick up a nexus one right before it crapped out for cheap and its now running "froyo" 2.2 with flash. I also have a g1 and mytouch 3g.

But now I'm about to buy a 3GS from a friend who is getting an iphone4 , and the N1 is likely to hit the backburner after that, and i gave the wife the mytouch.

So the moral of the story is I'd rather have a dated iphone than any of the "latest and greatest" android phones because a month later a new android phone comes out which runs a different software and yours takes forever to get the upgrade ( you hear me mytouch running 1.6? 2.2 coming "soon", just like 2.0 and 2.1, which never came....) Hell I had an iphone 2g and granted it took me maybe a week everytime they updated because it was jailbroken and unlocked so i had to wait for the new jailbreak to come out,(it was still 1,000,000 times more stable than my android phones have been. apps force close all the damn time on them.) but at least i knew apple supported all their phones.

[quote name='creechnasty' date='08 July 2010 - 09:38 AM' timestamp='1278599914' post='896281']
... apps force close all the damn time on them.) but at least i knew apple supported all their phones.
[/quote]
Did you pick only the apps from the market with warnings from the reviews that they will force close?

I have a Moto Droid and have no issues with apps force closing.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='07 July 2010 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1278532981' post='896179']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULv-0xcciFE[/media]

Getting my Evo by friday at the latest.
[/quote]

I had to stop that video when he gave the battery life a push. Everyone and their mother is crushing the EVO for the horrid battery life. It's a fine phone, but to say it's battery is comparable to the iPhone 4 is so wrong.

[quote name='steggyD' date='08 July 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1278645628' post='896381']
Did you pick only the apps from the market with warnings from the reviews that they will force close?

I have a Moto Droid and have no issues with apps force closing.
[/quote]

Yes, I only download apps that are 1 star or less, force close warnings, and labeled malware.

Actually I can see why you might not get them because you have probably the most common android phone right now (Droid). I didn't get it that bad when I used my g1 when there were no other android phones to program for. But with phones running custom manufacturers Roms like HTC sense or motoblur and the os running from 1.5(hero,backflip) to 2.2 (nexus one) and all the various hardware configurations in between its more likely you'll have force closings. I think in time android will straighten out but it needs to get a consistant os across all the phones before that happens I think.

Jason, Ive owned the Iphone4 from the original launch date June 24th, it is without a doubt the best phone Ive ever owned. The face time feature is unreal. I wont get into the Sprint/At&t/Verizon debate, but I will chime in that At&t is the worlds largest communication network, and the Worlds 21st largest company. It's a been around long before the Iphone... It will certainly be around after. I would highly recommend the device.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' date='14 July 2010 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1279164524' post='897052']
Jason, Ive owned the Iphone4 from the original launch date June 24th, it is without a doubt the best phone Ive ever owned. The face time feature is unreal. I wont get into the Sprint/At&t/Verizon debate, but I will chime in that At&t is the worlds largest communication network, and the Worlds 21st largest company. It's a been around long before the Iphone... It will certainly be around after. I would highly recommend the device.
[/quote]

Agreed. I've only had my iPhone 4 since...Tuesday I think. Finally came in. Everything is fucking...delicious. So goddamn fast and smooth. The phone itself just feels so compact and...I dunno...futuristic. Honestly, that's how I'd fucking describe it. I think android phones are cool and all, and the Evo looks nice and has nice features, but I prefer the Apple hardware. More MP for the camera, but the iphone pictures come out clearer. Dunno how that happens. Then throw in the apple store and the retina display, and I don't need anything else. Seriously, I get excited just reading texts, because its so clear. And I've had no problems with the connection. I've actually called my mom, who has one also, and smothered the bottom left corner with my massive hands. Not a single loss of bars after holding it for 20+ seconds. Maybe I got a later shipment that was fixed or summin. I dunno. Have had zero reception problems though. Currently looking for another sick ass game to buy. Probably Zenonia 2 cause the first one was the tits. Bottom line, if you're with AT&T and you have a chance to get the iphone 4, don't hesitate. Applying these "problems" in real world use, they just don't show up. Youd have to hold the phone like someone who wants to squeeze the life out of it, I'm guessing, for there to be an issue. And even then, why would you hold a phone like that?

Get. This. Phone.

[quote name='steggyD' date='05 July 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1278383710' post='895937']
I have Droid, and getting DroidX in about 10 days now. Love the Droid. I've been able to watch all the World Cup games from my phone while working, surf the web, play games when waiting at doctors, etc. Keeps my schedule really well, heck, I even watched some of the NFL draft from my phone while being out on the go. Replaces my entire music setup. The phone is amazing.

Go Android !!!
[/quote]

If you're all about functionality, and you're set on sticking with Android, skip the DroidX. Wait for the Amazing or whatever. Check this out: http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/14/droid-x-actually-self-destructs-if-you-try-to-mod-it/

yeah, supposedly the ones out now don't have the "problem"

http://gizmodo.com/5587029/iphone-4-silent-recall-some-readers-confirm?skyline=true&s=i

surprised they fixed it that quickly. i can't make mine lose signal at all, so i guess its true

[quote name='B.A.B.' date='15 July 2010 - 10:16 AM' timestamp='1279206984' post='897093']
If you're all about functionality, and you're set on sticking with Android, skip the DroidX. Wait for the Amazing or whatever. Check this out: http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/14/droid-x-actually-self-destructs-if-you-try-to-mod-it/
[/quote]
It's all good ... http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/15/reality-check-modding-the-droid-x-may-not-lead-to-a-bricked-phone/ The hacking geeks will figure it out. Besides, I never rooted my original Droid, have thought about it, but haven't.

Besides, Motorola is putting out some good Droid phones. I used to hate Moto, but they are stepping up their game. I am clumsy and need the build of the Motorola, metal, glass ... tough phones

[quote name='steggyD' date='15 July 2010 - 08:29 PM' timestamp='1279250976' post='897191']
It's all good ... http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/15/reality-check-modding-the-droid-x-may-not-lead-to-a-bricked-phone/ The hacking geeks will figure it out. Besides, I never rooted my original Droid, have thought about it, but haven't.

Besides, Motorola is putting out some good Droid phones. I used to hate Moto, but they are stepping up their game. I am clumsy and need the build of the Motorola, metal, glass ... tough phones
[/quote]

chrooted Droid = Open door to malware in the Droid Marketplace

Their oversight isn't all that great...

after the supposed fixes.. consumer reports went and bought two more and different locations.. and both still failed miserably..

i think.. Jobs made a bold move attempting to throw all other PDA makers under the bus, especially blackberry.. blackberry probably has the best build devices and signal strength of any PDA ever... the recent curve 8530 is mostly poop hardware wise.. but every other one is pretty solid, Tour's trackball is mediocre.. but the new Bold is very very well made..

i have dropped 1 call in over two months, and i was in rocky mountain national park.. i proceeded to not ahve signal at all for about a half hour at 10,000+ feet.. so i forgive it..

apple has had issues with pretty uch every item they release just like everyone else.. but the signal thing is being reported and handling very strangely.. i rarely doubt apples items these days.. and with all the iphone hating ive heard at work over the past many years ive always stay neutral.. but we have seen two people trade in the ip4 this past week ( the sales sept buys back anyones phones, etc) all claimed the signal sucked...

if they changed the hardware and are shipping fixed product and are playing it off... thats a brilliant strategy honestly.. no way theyll recall 3 million phones..

anyway enough ramblings.. im interested in how this situations keeps going...3 million fucked up cell phones is about the only thing that could tarnish apple's pristine image...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Who__Dey85
[quote name='Jason' date='29 June 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1277857833' post='895246']
I'm eligible for an upgrade and when I get paid Friday I'm thinking about getting one. Anyone else have one yet?
[/quote]
I really wouldnt get an Iphone 4. They are not worth it. they have way too many issue and they are virtually no different than the other iphones.

[quote name='Who__Dey85' timestamp='1281213681' post='903300']
I really wouldnt get an Iphone 4. They are not worth it. they have way too many issue and they are virtually no different than the other iphones.
[/quote]

lmao. someone obviously has never used an iphone 4. anyways, with the jailbreak out for it, its easily the best phone on the market.

[quote name='NASTYNATI' timestamp='1279164524' post='897052']
[/quote]

I'll second that.. I went from 3g to iPhone 4 and it fucking owns the old one. That antenna issue is nil once you put the case on, which everyone does. And yes, it has both side cameras - and a killer flash that stays on during video mode. The screen rez blows away anything I've seen and makes all multimedia instant HD. Rich colors beyond any Mac monitor I've used..
Not a single complaint here.

Archived