Second Half Starting Rotation

Jason

Let's assume everyone is healthy to start the second half (and yes, I know, Homer is probably still a couple or more weeks away) and we don't make a trade.

You have:
Arroyo
Harang
Cueto
Volquez
Bailey
Leake
Wood
Maloney

Who are your 5?

Who gets sent back to AAA?

Which starter(s) get(s) put in the bull pen?

What do you do with Harang?

If you move 1 or more starters into the pen, which reliever(s) do you send back to AAA?

And what to do about Coco?

When, if at all, do you bring up Chapman? Or do you move him back into the rotation in AAA? (It seems to me the bull pen experiment has not gone all that well.)

My rotation would be:

Arroyo
Volquez
Cueto
Leake
Wood

I saw on the enquirer website they might consider a trade for Arroyo. The only way I would even consider it is if we can get a dominant closer for him, and I don't see that happening.

Maloney and Jordan Smith would go to AAA.

Harang and Bailey would get a shot at the bull pen this year. I expect Bailey back in the rotation next year (assuming Arroyo won't take the pay cut and is not retained) unless he shows a knack for relieveing, and if he does I might even give him a shot as a closer.

Either way, I will be shocked if Harang is still a Red next season.

I think I just might put Chapman back in the AAA rotation.

Bailey wont be back before August, so hes not really an issue right now, when he comes back we'll see how the rotation is doing and decide if he should be put in it or put in the bullpen.

What I would do...

Arroyo
Cueto
Volquez
Wood
Leake

I put Leake last to limit his innings. And as you said essentially keep the same rotation next year except with bailey instead of Arroyo, and if chapman can beat anyone out, put him there too. That gives you 6 solid guys for 5 spots.

What to do with Harang this year? Id try and trade him, if not maybe he can work in the bullpen when he gets back and make a few spot starts for Leake later in August/Sep to keep his innings down. If we are able to trade Harang, then I do the spot start thing with Bailey.

Arroyo
Volquez
Cueto
Harang
Wood

If Harang is healthy, I'm putting him up against a teams #3-5 starter any day of the week even if he has slipped some. He's also an innings eater.

Leake would be there, but I know they want to limit his innings and I wouldn't mortgage his future just for this year when there are other viable options.

Wood has shown enough in his first 3 starts to prove me wrong.

Put Leake, Bailey and Chapman in the bullpen with Ondrusek, Bray, Rhoades, and Cordero (unfortunately).

Try and trade Owings for something. Maybe trade Maloney for something as well.

If Massett has options left, send him down or maybe hold Chapman back.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 July 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1278958190' post='896743']
Arroyo
Volquez
Cueto
Harang
Wood

If Harang is healthy, I'm putting him up against a teams #3-5 starter any day of the week even if he has slipped some. He's also an innings eater.

Leake would be there, but I know they want to limit his innings and I wouldn't mortgage his future just for this year when there are other viable options.

Wood has shown enough in his first 3 starts to prove me wrong.

Put Leake, Bailey and Chapman in the bullpen with Ondrusek, Bray, Rhoades, and Cordero (unfortunately).

Try and trade Owings for something. Maybe trade Maloney for something as well.

If Massett has options left, send him down or maybe hold Chapman back.
[/quote]

Leake isnt getting moved to the bullpen, maybe eventually but not right away. He'll be in the rotation at least till he gets to the 150-160 inning mark.

Archived