2006...What could have been

Whenever I mention the '06 Bengals it is usually pointing out the losses they suffered from injury and suspension. I'll get to that at the end of this thread, but first I want to point out how good that team was despite all of the personnel losses.

The '06 team ranked in the top 10 in the league in Offensive yards (8th), Points scored (8th).

The defense gave up a lot of yards but was 8th in turnovers forced and a very decent 17th in points allowed.

They stomped two playoff teams on the road (Division Champion Saints by 15 and Wildcard Chiefs by 13). Beat the 13-3 Division Champion Ravens at home by 6. And also beat the defending Super Bowl Champion Steelers by 8 on the road.

They lost one game in overtime (Pitt after Graham missed a chip shot 37 yd FG in the final seconds to win game),

Two games by one point (Tamps Bay 13-14 when a bogus roughing-the-passer call on Justin Smith set up the Bucs last td, and Denver 23-24 when a bad snap on an XP in the final seconds gave the win to the Broncos)

One game by 2 points (Atlanta 27-29)

So that team was only EIGHT points away from being 12-4 despite losing the following players from the '05 Division Championship team,

MLB Odell Thurman...16 games
C Rich Braham...14 games
DE/OLB David Pollock...14 games
WR/WR...Tab Perry...14 Games
RB Chris Perry ...10 games
OT Levi Jones...10 games
OLB Brian Simmons...5 games
CB Deltha O'Neal...4 games
SS Dexter Jackson...4 games
OLB Rashad Jeanty...4 games
WR Chris Henry...3 Games
OG Bobbie Williams...3 games
WR T.J. Houshmanzadeh...2 games
FS Kevin Kaesviharn...2 games (KK started 7 games for us that season)
DT John Thornton...1 game

Now I realize that in the end the record is all that really matters, but I think we still have to give credit where credit is due. That '06 team beat a lot of good teams, and they lost a lot of close games under tough circumstances. And they did all of that despite losing a lot of manpower.

If they had just somehow eeked out just one more win we would be talking about going to the playoffs for the 4th time in 6 years in 2010

Excellent post. With more discipline and maturity, that team (and also the '05 team) could have done wonderful things. Kinda reminded me of the Bengals teams of the 80s, that usually finished around .500 but could have easily been 12-4 or better. There are several teams in the league each season that that could be said about, though.

The 2006 team ranks as the most talented yet underachieving squad in Marvin Lewis' tenure, without a doubt. Despite the injuries, arrests and suspensions, we were **right there** in so many of those games as your post points out. It remains as the most frustrating season (to me) so far in the Lewis era.

And you forgot the most egregious example of all...the San Diego game.

I agree. excellent post Fred. Despite all the what if's in the last 3 games of that season. plus injuries and suspensions. They were 8-5 going into the indy game. At the end of the first half Carson was sacked hard and was definitely injured- i think it was Mathis. He played through it as best he could in that game. But there was definitely difference in Denver and at home against the steelers.. He made no excuses whatsoever. But in my opinion that sack and injury was the difference. The Denver nor Pitt Game would had not went down to the wire like they did.

Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? If I recall it was his throwing shoulder.......

[quote name='gatorclaws' date='18 July 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1279499041' post='897549']
I still think of the Tampa bullshit
[/quote]

That was the biggest bunch of referee bullshit ever.

Even Marvin after that game IIRC said something to the effect of "What, are we supposed to cradle the QB to the ground?"

It was a horrible, horrible call that cost us a game.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='18 July 2010 - 09:53 PM' timestamp='1279504382' post='897556']
That was the biggest bunch of referee bullshit ever.

Even Marvin after that game IIRC said something to the effect of "What, are we supposed to cradle the QB to the ground?"

It was a horrible, horrible call that cost us a game.
[/quote]

And the playoffs, worst ref travesty I've ever witnessed as a Bengals fan....would've made those "pressure" kicks Graham shanked no longer "clutch" and of course he makes them at that point. The Bengals are an easy 10-6, if not 11-5 if not for that godawful call.

in the denver game TJ also missed a catch, went right through his hands, MAYBE was picked off? but at least cost us 7, we either settled for 3 or it was picked off that or the next play..

that was the year for sure the shayne doubt started... you lose in the last seconds against a division rival on a very makeable kick, 37 is no chip shot ... but its makeable .. and he missed sadly...

then tory got TORCHED in OT..

a laundry list of terrible things right there..

1. shayne missed a makeable field goal
2. we didnt beat a division rival
3. we missed the playoffs
4. the steeelrs won
5. big ben got to look like peyton manning throwing a 7 yard 80 yard TD pass....(ala joe flacco these days)

awful...

and losing to the broncos was weak, they were a team about the same as us talent wise all these years, and we beat them on MNF, and that woulda been another one of those games where if we beat them again.. nationally we get a grain of respect.. well they beat the broncos on MNF at home, and in the broncos house as well.. they are above the broncos..

lots of steps forward but too many steps back in that year..

Wasted talent. They lost a bunch games when they were leading at the half.

They started 3-0, which is a very high percentage of making playoffs.

2007 equally frustrating because they mailed it in against Cleveland whic h started the downward trend.

[quote name='Phatcat' date='18 July 2010 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1279496318' post='897545']
I agree. excellent post Fred. Despite all the what if's in the last 3 games of that season. plus injuries and suspensions. They were 8-5 going into the indy game. At the end of the first half Carson was sacked hard and was definitely injured- i think it was Mathis. He played through it as best he could in that game. But there was definitely difference in Denver and at home against the steelers.. He made no excuses whatsoever. But in my opinion that sack and injury was the difference. The Denver nor Pitt Game would had not went down to the wire like they did.

Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? If I recall it was his throwing shoulder.......
[/quote]

PFT said he possibily tore his rotator cuff . . .

A reader tipped us off on Tuesday to the possibility that Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer emerged from Monday night's loss to the Colts with an injury. Per the tipster, Palmer has a shoulder injury, possibly a torn rotator cuff. We've poked around a bit via our network of sources, and we've concluded that there's something to this one. It's our understanding that Palmer is undergoing tests on the shoulder today.

It's the last thing the 8-6 Bengals need as they prepare to face the 8-6 Broncos on Sunday in Denver. The winner will be in great shape for a playoff spot; the loser will be battling with the likes of the Jaguars and the Steelers and the Jets and the Chiefs and the Titans and the Bills (the Bills?) for the six seed.

[url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/story/2006/12/20/135941/96"]http://www.cincyjungle.com/story/2006/12/20/135941/96[/url]

[quote name='JC' date='18 July 2010 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1279507471' post='897563']
I'll never forget Slims catch against ATL to bring us that game back. Fucking A.
[/quote]

He also had two huge catches in the 4th quarter of the season finale against Pittsburgh that I won't ever forget. The first was a 66-yard touchdown and the second was a 47-yard bomb to set up Shayne's missed 39-yard FG that cost us the victory.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' date='19 July 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1279541868' post='897583']
He also had two huge catches in the 4th quarter of the season finale against Pittsburgh that I won't ever forget. The first was a 66-yard touchdown and the second was a 47-yard bomb to set up Shayne's missed 39-yard FG that cost us the victory.
[/quote]

Marvin's poor clock management at the end of that game certainly didn't help matters any.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='19 July 2010 - 07:58 AM' timestamp='1279540702' post='897580']
PFT said he possibily tore his rotator cuff . . .

A reader tipped us off on Tuesday to the possibility that Bengals quarterback Carson Palmer emerged from Monday night's loss to the Colts with an injury. Per the tipster, Palmer has a shoulder injury, possibly a torn rotator cuff. We've poked around a bit via our network of sources, and we've concluded that there's something to this one. It's our understanding that Palmer is undergoing tests on the shoulder today.

It's the last thing the 8-6 Bengals need as they prepare to face the 8-6 Broncos on Sunday in Denver. The winner will be in great shape for a playoff spot; the loser will be battling with the likes of the Jaguars and the Steelers and the Jets and the Chiefs and the Titans and the Bills (the Bills?) for the six seed.

[url="http://www.cincyjungle.com/story/2006/12/20/135941/96"]http://www.cincyjung...12/20/135941/96[/url]

Thanks Old! You the man......

[/quote]

[quote name='scharm' date='19 July 2010 - 06:23 AM' timestamp='1279534996' post='897579']
2007 equally frustrating because they mailed it in against Cleveland whic h started the downward trend.
[/quote]

The '07 team was a total disgrace. Their record was only one game worse than the '06 team, but they were no where near as good as the '06 team. They didn't beat a single good team all year and lost to a bunch of weak teams. That night game against the 49ers late in the season was a total embarrassment. It looked like they didn't even care.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='19 July 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1279548671' post='897599']
Marvin's poor clock management at the end of that game certainly didn't help matters any.
[/quote]

It didn't make any difference at all. We just needed a FG to win and we were at the 21 yard line. We weren't going to risk taking a shot at the end zone anyway.

[quote name='Bengal Migration' date='19 July 2010 - 05:50 PM' timestamp='1279576235' post='897696']
Thanks. I hadn't lost sleep over that game in at least a few months. <_<

:shakesfist:
[/quote]

Maybe we can get Go to upload it so you can watch it again.

Archived