Joe Reedy: "Matt Jones is looking slow and not good"

Beat writer Joe Reedy wrote on his Twitter account Saturday that Matt Jones looks "slow and not good" at Bengals camp.
The Dayton Daily News said Jones looked like "just another guy" in June minicamp, so he's doing nothing to impressive observers. Considering the Bengals' new-found depth at the position, Jones is on the outside looking in for a roster spot.

[b]Source:[/b] [url="http://twitter.com/joereedy/statuses/20026538662"]Joe Reedy on Twitter [/url]

[url="http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=nfl&majteam=cin"]http://www.rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=nfl&majteam=cin[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='01 August 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1280671324' post='901451']
while we don't have much else to go on, I'm not putting much stock in Joe Reedy's opinion on evaluating players.
[/quote]
What I've seen of the on-line film....I think Reedy nailed. It may be because his long loping strides make him look slow...but he looks S-L-O-WWWWWW.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='01 August 2010 - 10:02 AM' timestamp='1280671324' post='901451']
while we don't have much else to go on, I'm not putting much stock in Joe Reedy's opinion on evaluating players.
[/quote]

Did you watch any of the videos from minicamps...slow was the best word to describe him.

My very early vote for whos gonna make the team...

1. Chad
2. TO
3. AB
4. Caldwell
5. Ship
6. Jerome

I know the thought of Jerome sitting on the inactive roster 3 straight seasons is crazy talk, but I still think hes our best young in house option to be a 1 WR in 2011 or 2012.

[quote name='CJandTO' date='01 August 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1280682778' post='901546']
Did you watch any of the videos from minicamps...slow was the best word to describe him.

1. Chad
2. TO
3. AB
4. Caldwell
5. Ship
6. Jerome

I know the thought of Jerome sitting on the inactive roster 3 straight seasons is crazy talk, but I still think hes our best young in house option to be a 1 WR in 2011 or 2012.
[/quote]

oh I don't think he'll make the team either, but not because of what Joe Reedy thinks.

[quote name='CJandTO' date='01 August 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1280682778' post='901546']

1. Chad
2. TO
3. AB
4. Caldwell
5. Ship
6. Jerome

[/quote]
If Bryant's knee is hurting him some weeks more than others, I'm thinking that he will be the one on the inactive list. But if the Bengals keep three TEs and Fui all active, them maybe both Jerome and Bryant might have to be inactive. Neither one can give you anything much on special teams.

[/quote]

I wouldn't put much stock in my opinion either but from my standpoint Coffman looks more fluid than Jones given the small sample size of drills I watched.

He kinda lumbers instead of glides.

[quote name='cassanos' date='01 August 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1280688700' post='901568']
Id rather take a chance on Brizzy than Jerome
[/quote]

If Brizzy is wearing #88 he looked good. But so did #89. Both looked smooth and explosive.

[quote name='CJandTO' date='01 August 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1280682778' post='901546']

1. Chad
2. TO
3. AB
4. Caldwell
5. Ship
6. Jerome

[/quote]

From what I saw Saturday night, that looks pretty accurate.

What happened to Jones' speed? Was he just a workout warrior at the combine in 2005? His forty time was 4.4, he had a 39.5" vertical and an almost 11' broad jump. For a guy that's 6'6", those are impressive numbers. Where did the speed go?

[quote name='Bunghole' date='01 August 2010 - 06:39 PM' timestamp='1280702369' post='901641']
What happened to Jones' speed? Was he just a workout warrior at the combine in 2005? His forty time was 4.4, he had a 39.5" vertical and an almost 11' broad jump. For a guy that's 6'6", those are impressive numbers. Where did the speed go?
[/quote]

I think he is fast... just not quick. Great straight line speed.

I've pretty much given up on Matt Jones. It's a shame since I was actually pretty excited about him when we first signed him.

At this point my wishlist for the #6 receiver is:

1.) Quan Cosby
2.) Jerome Simpson
3.) Dez Briscoe

I'm kinda down for giving Jerome one more chance, but if he doesn't perform, he has to go.

[quote name='BengalsRZ' date='01 August 2010 - 08:39 PM' timestamp='1280713179' post='901699']
I've pretty much given up on Matt Jones. It's a shame since I was actually pretty excited about him when we first signed him.

At this point my wishlist for the #6 receiver is:

1.) Quan Cosby
2.) Jerome Simpson
3.) Dez Briscoe

I'm kinda down for giving Jerome one more chance, but if he doesn't perform, he has to go.
[/quote]

Yah, I'm rooting for Quan all day long to beat out Simpson. I'd like the sixth reciever to actually be able to do something other than be inactive.

I'm not knocking Jerome, I'm just a big fan of Cosby.

[quote name='dex' date='01 August 2010 - 02:55 PM' timestamp='1280688929' post='901570']
If Bryant's knee is hurting him some weeks more than others, I'm thinking that he will be the one on the inactive list. But if the Bengals keep three TEs and Fui all active, them maybe both Jerome and Bryant might have to be inactive. Neither one can give you anything much on special teams.
[/quote]

Do any of the tight ends play special teams? It seems like we have a bunch of skill players on O that don't play teams.

Man, if I was trying to make it on a roster I would play on every special teams group available. It blows my mind why someone like Jerome Simpson doesn't play special teams...just for the opportunity to be active on gameday.

[quote name='kdubdub' date='01 August 2010 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1280716192' post='901713']
Do any of the tight ends play special teams? It seems like we have a bunch of skill players on O that don't play teams.

Man, if I was trying to make it on a roster I would play on every special teams group available. [b]It blows my mind why someone like Jerome Simpson doesn't play special teams...[/b]just for the opportunity to be active on gameday.
[/quote]

I don't know if its so much a matter of he won't, but just that he's not good enough at it to beat anyone else on the team out for a spot on it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='01 August 2010 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1280718789' post='901718']
I don't know if its so much a matter of he won't, but just that he's not good enough at it to beat anyone else on the team out for a spot on it.
[/quote]

Wow. He is an absolute megabust. If he is cut then he has prob the worst stat line ever for a 2nd round wr. If he makes the team he has no shot of ever making the 45 man roster. It is a lose-lose situation.

[quote name='kdubdub' date='02 August 2010 - 02:05 AM' timestamp='1280729140' post='901732']
Wow. He is an absolute megabust. If he is cut then he has prob the worst stat line ever for a 2nd round wr. If he makes the team he has no shot of ever making the 45 man roster. It is a lose-lose situation.
[/quote]

Not arguing that Simpson hasn't been disappointing to date, but I think Dwayne Jarrett with Carolina wins that award, especially after coming out of USC.

Archived