My plan for rest of August and September

JBandJoeyV

Here are a few things Id look into doing for the rest of the season, let me know what you all think.

1. Bring up Chapman, send down Bray. Bray has been up and down since hes been back in cincy this year, but he is too inconsistent at this point. Chapman has been dominanting his last 10 or so appearances in AAA. Id say bring him up now to see how he can do in August. If he pitches well up here you start to put him in more pressure situations in September if he can handle it. If he doesnt pitch that well when hes brought up, at least you know not to rely on him too much in September. I think its better he gets some opportunities now then just throwing him in there in september.

I also think Chapman could give us a big advantage for the STL series next week, as the cards have obviously not seen chapman yet. If Bray pitches well in AAA bring him back up in September.

2. Russ Springer was taken out of todays game due to back spasms. If he has to go to the DL, Id give Burton a shot. He has been great his last 10 plus games in Lou, besides one game where he gave up a couple runs. Lights out besides that. When Springer gets healthy bring him back up for September call ups.

3. Leake/Bailey. Id give Leake one more start in Cincy and Bailey another start at AAA. If bailey pitches well and leake doesnt, Id strongly consider putting Leake on the DL due to fatigue (if you are allowed) and Let Bailey make a couple starts for him. It would allow leake to keep his innings down. If after a couple starts bailey doesnt perform well, you could take leake off the dl and put him back in the rotation. If Bailey does do well, you could shut down leake or figure out another option for him. Now, if Leake pitches great next week vs St Louis Id keep him up here and figure out something else to do with Bailey.

4. Bring up Chris Dickerson for Laynce Nix. Nix just doesnt get enough PT nor is he good enough in his at bats to warrant keeping him on the roster instead of Dickerson. Dickerson is better in the field and at the plate. Let him take some starts for Gomes and Stubbs. Also if healthy and hitting well he would be a solid lead off option.We need some infusion in the outfield.

5. Keep getting Heisey at bats. He has been our most productive outfielder the last month or so, keep getting him opportunites.

We would have 5 outfielders that could all get starts (Gomes, Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, and Heisey). Play the hot bats, play the matchups, do whatever in order to get some more production out of the outfield.

Any thoughts and other suggestions are appreciated. Let me know what you all think.

Nix has been hitting ok recently, so I think I'd rather send Bruce down. He looks horrible right now and needs to play every day to get through it, but not at the expense of the Reds. Stubbs would be my second choice to send down, but his speed could be useful as a pinch runner. Neither should be starting until they show they can hit again.

I agree with the rest.

[quote name='gatorclaws' date='04 August 2010 - 03:46 PM' timestamp='1280951169' post='902662']
Nix has been hitting ok recently, so I think I'd rather send Bruce down. He looks horrible right now and needs to play every day to get through it, but not at the expense of the Reds. Stubbs would be my second choice to send down, but his speed could be useful as a pinch runner. Neither should be starting until they show they can hit again.

I agree with the rest.
[/quote]

Just not gonna happen with Bruce. Not saying we should or shouldnt, but it wont.

Personally, I would send Stubbs down for CD rather than Bruce or Nix. Nix is a lefty off the bench, and a good fielder.

Leake hasn't pitched all that badly. And personally, I think in the starts he hasn't done well he's had too much rest. Last night wouldn't have been bad had Rolen fielded that ground ball. That parrot, and plunking McCutchen didn't help matters either. But as well as Wood has pitched, he almost has to be in the playoff rotation (assuming we get there).

I think I'd keep Leake on his normal rotation and shut him down when he reaches whatever limit they have set for him.

[quote name='CJandTO' date='04 August 2010 - 04:02 PM' timestamp='1280952176' post='902666']
Just not gonna happen with Bruce. Not saying we should or shouldnt, but it wont.
[/quote]

I don't doubt you're right. He's not hitting enough to be starting and I'd hate to see him rot on the bench.... tough spot to be in.

[quote name='CJandTO' date='04 August 2010 - 03:33 PM' timestamp='1280950384' post='902659']
Here are a few things Id look into doing for the rest of the season, let me know what you all think.

1. Bring up Chapman, send down Bray. Bray has been up and down since hes been back in cincy this year, but he is too inconsistent at this point. Chapman has been dominanting his last 10 or so appearances in AAA. Id say bring him up now to see how he can do in August. If he pitches well up here you start to put him in more pressure situations in September if he can handle it. If he doesnt pitch that well when hes brought up, at least you know not to rely on him too much in September. I think its better he gets some opportunities now then just throwing him in there in september.

I also think Chapman could give us a big advantage for the STL series next week, as the cards have obviously not seen chapman yet. If Bray pitches well in AAA bring him back up in September.

2. Russ Springer was taken out of todays game due to back spasms. If he has to go to the DL, Id give Burton a shot. He has been great his last 10 plus games in Lou, besides one game where he gave up a couple runs. Lights out besides that. When Springer gets healthy bring him back up for September call ups.

3. Leake/Bailey. Id give Leake one more start in Cincy and Bailey another start at AAA. If bailey pitches well and leake doesnt, Id strongly consider putting Leake on the DL due to fatigue (if you are allowed) and Let Bailey make a couple starts for him. It would allow leake to keep his innings down. If after a couple starts bailey doesnt perform well, you could take leake off the dl and put him back in the rotation. If Bailey does do well, you could shut down leake or figure out another option for him. Now, if Leake pitches great next week vs St Louis Id keep him up here and figure out something else to do with Bailey.

4. Bring up Chris Dickerson for Laynce Nix. Nix just doesnt get enough PT nor is he good enough in his at bats to warrant keeping him on the roster instead of Dickerson. Dickerson is better in the field and at the plate. Let him take some starts for Gomes and Stubbs. Also if healthy and hitting well he would be a solid lead off option.We need some infusion in the outfield.

5. Keep getting Heisey at bats. He has been our most productive outfielder the last month or so, keep getting him opportunites.

We would have 5 outfielders that could all get starts (Gomes, Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, and Heisey). Play the hot bats, play the matchups, do whatever in order to get some more production out of the outfield.

Any thoughts and other suggestions are appreciated. Let me know what you all think.
[/quote]

agree with all except Nix....I dont like dickerson much.....actually its a tossup ..neither will make that much
oc a difference.....Heisey should play more and more....hes a tough out

id ger rid of nix.

[quote name='claptonrocks' date='08 August 2010 - 12:01 PM' timestamp='1281286889' post='903398']
agree with all except Nix....[b]I dont like dickerson much[/b].....actually its a tossup ..neither will make that much
oc a difference.....Heisey should play more and more....hes a tough out
[/quote]

what the fuck is to dislike about a guy who hits 285 consistently and plays superb defense and is a great base runner? do u want the reds to suck?

Looks like #3 is in teh process of happening...bailey is pitching relief instead of starting today in lou...looking like he might just pitch a couple innings then take Leakes spot in the rotation Friday or Saturday.

Good move, I think Leakes hit a wall...plus if you DL him and he is on the DL on August 31st, then you can bring him back in Sep/the postseason if he regains his form.

Archived