Reds trade Dickerson

Bengals1181

because bronsons pitched over 200 innings like 6 times...his arm is used to it. But I'm guessing he didn't just start his career pitching 200 innings a season you have to build your arm up to handle the stress.

and this won't add any stress to the bullpen cause there will still be a starter going 6 or 7 innings hopefully.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1281390883' post='904171']
because bronsons pitched over 200 innings like 6 times...his arm is used to it. But I'm guessing he didn't just start his career pitching 200 innings a season you have to build your arm up to handle the stress.

and this won't add any stress to the bullpen cause there will still be a starter going 6 or 7 innings hopefully.
[/quote]

But haven't these guys, as young as they are, been pitching for years? How much "building up" of their arms do they need? I'm sure it varies from person to person, but Wood never looked like he was tiring in any of the games he was pitching in.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1281395032' post='904190']
But haven't these guys, as young as they are, been pitching for years? How much "building up" of their arms do they need? I'm sure it varies from person to person, but Wood never looked like he was tiring in any of the games he was pitching in.
[/quote]

It's not about getting tired, it's about getting injured. Studies have shown that chances of injury go up significantly when they pitch 30 innings more than the prior year... or something like that.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1281395032' post='904190']
[/quote]

In high school and college you just dont pitch as long as you do in the majors. For example, the high school season is only like 2 or 3 months, and college isnt much more. A major league season is like 6 months. For example, leake only pitched like 130 innings last year, so if he goes much more then 160-170 his chances of injury are gonna go up. Hes not gonna get more tired during a game or anything, but the stress on his arm just leads for more of a chance at getting hurt.

That's all well and good, but Wood hasn't [i]been[/i] pitching the entire year! Not even close! Anyway, I feel a losing argument here. I don't want anyone to get hurt, and he's only missing one game (allegedly). If he's not right back up here I will be pissed though. Not that me being pissed makes a whit of difference except for the health of my dog's ribs, which I will kick repeatedly...

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1281397212' post='904202']
That's all well and good, but Wood hasn't [i]been[/i] pitching the entire year! Not even close! Anyway, I feel a losing argument here. I don't want anyone to get hurt, and he's only missing one game (allegedly). If he's not right back up here I will be pissed though. Not that me being pissed makes a whit of difference except for the health of my dog's ribs, which I will kick repeatedly...
[/quote]

Sorry bung but do you know how baseball works?

Wood hasnt been pitching this entire year in the bigs, but hes started every fifth day in AAA. Its not about how many innings you pitch in the majors, its how many innings you pitch in general.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1281397212' post='904202']
[b]That's all well and good, but Wood hasn't [i]been[/i] pitching the entire year![/b] Not even close! Anyway, I feel a losing argument here. I don't want anyone to get hurt, and he's only missing one game (allegedly). If he's not right back up here I will be pissed though. Not that me being pissed makes a whit of difference except for the health of my dog's ribs, which I will kick repeatedly...
[/quote]

its not like he was just down in the minors eating hot dogs.

Archived