Jerome Simpson

After seeing Rome get a little more playing time, i would really like to see him out there with the 1st string offense either this week or next week. It's hard to evaluate a WR's talent and how it's increased when you have O'sullivan and Jordan completely under or overthrowing the guy.

I can't put my finger on it, but Jerome looks like a much improved player this year. Maybe all he needed was some swagger....he plays now like his career depends on it, which it does.

I know that the WR battles have been mentioned a lot lately but what are your guys' thoughts on getting him some more time with solid players (i.e. carson)

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1281449315' post='904347']
After seeing Rome get a little more playing time, i would really like to see him out there with the 1st string offense either this week or next week. It's hard to evaluate a WR's talent and how it's increased when you have O'sullivan and Jordan completely under or overthrowing the guy.

I can't put my finger on it, but Jerome looks like a much improved player this year. Maybe all he needed was some swagger....he plays now like his career depends on it, which it does.

I know that the WR battles have been mentioned a lot lately but what are your guys' thoughts on getting him some more time with solid players (i.e. carson)
[/quote]

IMO, ...that's up to Carson. It's his call.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1281450071' post='904351']
no it's not, it's Brats and Marvin's.

Simpson and Coffman, maybe even Matt Jones, are the three that I'd like to see get some game time with Carson.
[/quote]

Carson was the one that kicked him out of the huddle. If Carson wants to, ...he can ignore him on the field so I wouldn't push anyone on Carson.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1281450238' post='904353']
Carson was the one that kicked him out of the huddle. If Carson wants to, ...he can ignore him on the field so I wouldn't push anyone on Carson.
[/quote]
Carson needs to worry about his own play and how he needs to get better before worring about who's on the field with him.

[/quote]
Do you really think Carson is going to ignore Jerome on the field if he gets open.

That's really not going to happen..

[quote name='cp2024' timestamp='1281450681' post='904355']
Carson needs to worry about his own play and how he needs to get better before worring about who's on the field with him.
[/quote]

It is what it is, ...the next time Simpson is in the starters huddle will be his last chance.

He better make the most of that chance!

[/quote]

that was two years ago in camp, and he only said it. No one ever said Simpson actually got kicked out.

Carson has little to no choice as to what players play when.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1281451771' post='904359']
that was two years ago in camp, and he only said it. No one ever said Simpson actually got kicked out.

Carson has little to no choice as to what players play when.
[/quote]

I like what Simpson brings to the table more than what Caldwell or Matt Jones brings. I think the whole argument that Jerome has only caught one ball in 2 seasons is a little bit overplayed. From what I have seen this year, that includes the two practices I attended, HOf, and videos on the Bengals website, Jerome is a better option at wr. Jerome gives us a better option if Chad or TO go down this season than Caldwell or Matt Jones. Shipley has already replaced Caldwell, and Jones doesn't really excite me that much because it takes him too long to get up to speed rather than a player like Jerome. I am excited to see more of Jerome. I agree with a previous poster that I would like to see Jerome get a chance to play with the #1 offense and get balls thrown to him by Carson.

I watched the game on TV but listened to Lapham on the radio. He had a lot more insight. The play where O'Sullivan "underthrew" Jerome, Lap said he was supposed to cut the route off and do an out pattern based on the coverage.

When I re-watched the game, you could see O'Sullivan looking at Jerome like WTF? and also could see the Bengals coaches yelling at Simpson.

Lapham said that has been Simpson's big problem. It's not just knowing the plays, but being able to recognize the defensive coverage and adjusting the route accordingly. It sounds like he is still struggling really badly with that and it is the reason he is pretty far down the depth chart despite his physical talents.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1281468367' post='904452']
The guy just doesn't get it--and it looks like he never will. I will be happy when we stop wasting a roster spot for this guy.
[/quote]
Looks like he left someone in the dirt sunday night..JT just sucks.

But I think he led everyone last pre-season in yards recieving, so it's kind of a moot point I guess. Im sure the coaches will make the right decision, but he has all the tools to be a monster.

[/quote]

Really?

Cuz I thought he looked worse than he did in practice. I know people are blaming JT on everything, (and yes he still looked like shit), but I know he was shaking his head while looking right at Simpson at least twice. That tells me that Simpson wasn't where he was supposed to be.

You know who seems to be really lower on the priority list at getting looks (this week, at least)? Caldwell.

[/quote]

he sprained his ankle and was behind in adapting in his first year, couldnt get any rookie lumps injured.. and last year he wasnt gonna get any PT learning on field time with the passing game crippled and in a division hunt from the get go...

people freak out and make all sorts of claims and accusations when a guy doesnt get on the field.

a kid we knew was going to take some time to develop and adjust, there was nothing to gain by playing in 2008 with fitz and a shit oline...

i hope he gets a shot at some PT..

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1281465813' post='904435']
I watched the game on TV but listened to Lapham on the radio. He had a lot more insight. The play where O'Sullivan "underthrew" Jerome, Lap said he was supposed to cut the route off and do an out pattern based on the coverage.

When I re-watched the game, you could see O'Sullivan looking at Jerome like WTF? and also could see the Bengals coaches yelling at Simpson.

Lapham said that has been Simpson's big problem. It's not just knowing the plays, but being able to recognize the defensive coverage and adjusting the route accordingly. It sounds like he is still struggling really badly with that and it is the reason he is pretty far down the depth chart despite his physical talents.
[/quote]
Guess I should have read on down further, this says basically what I was saying (but probably says it better)

If he's not getting into his correct routes or reading and adjusting to the D, with the QB's who everyone is claiming is crap, he won't get the opportunity to even try with THEE QB.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1281473465' post='904476']
he sprained his ankle and was behind in adapting in his first year, couldnt get any rookie lumps injured.. and last year he wasnt gonna get any PT learning on field time with the passing game crippled and in a division hunt from the get go...

people freak out and make all sorts of claims and accusations when a guy doesnt get on the field.

a kid we knew was going to take some time to develop and adjust, there was nothing to gain by playing in 2008 with fitz and a shit oline...

i hope he gets a shot at some PT..
[/quote]

I can't totally buy this logic. He could have helped spread the field with his speed ala Chris Henry. At least running a simple post pattern would have forced the defense to play a little deeper.

There was all the reason in the world to play him in 2008. We were out of it so why not get him some PT? Is it better to have Chad out there with a shit oline in a meaningless game every play or give Simpson a few reps?

He certainly could have played in the first Jet game last year since we threw that one away in the second half. I have to think there were times when he could have been inserted to run a simple route but Brat didn't do it. Seriously, an entire year and they can't find a play or two to run him out on the field?

Hopefully, he has gotten it but I would rather have Shipley out there (Carson loves) or Jones who has proven he can run big boy NFL routes rather than hope Simpson can finally get it.

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1281473465' post='904476']
and last year he wasnt gonna get any PT learning on field time with the passing game crippled and in a division hunt from the get go...

[/quote]

The Bengals were in a division hunt and were absolutely DESPERATE for a WR not named Chad to step up. The passing game was crippled because there was only one receiver...receiving. They even brought up someone (Purify) from the PS and played him over Simpson. Last year, when the Bengals were sooooo desperate for a WR to step up, if the coaching staff and Palmer had any confidence in Simpson, that was the golden opportunity for him to play.

i'm baffled by the neverending love story titled jerome simpson. i can only hope this affair ends after training camp. i suppose we do need all the WR bodies we can get to keep fresh legs in camp, but this guy is making the same mistakes over and over again after three years. it's past time to cut our losses with this wasted pick and just realize things for what they are. any play involving jerome simpson has very high odds of being a busted play. you just can't afford that at the professional level.

Funny story - While at training camp last week I got Simpson's signature. The kid ahead of me, like 12 or 13 years old, thanked him for the signature and went on to tell him he had a good season last year. I fought the urge to giggle then I kind of felt bad for Simpson. He really was a nice guy. Very fan friendly, even to those who are clueless.

Archived