Browns of ’08 should be Bengals’ cautionary tale

[quote][size="5"][b]Browns of ’08 should be Bengals’ cautionary tale[/b][/size]

By Sean McClelland, Staff Writer

8:53 PM Friday, August 13, 2010

It’s fun to see Cincinnati Bengals fans so excited about the upcoming NFL season. All the hype surrounding the team, however, reminds me of two years ago when the Cleveland Browns found themselves in a similar circumstance.

The Browns were coming off a 10-6 season, barely missing the playoffs in 2007. There was skepticism as 2008 approached, but not enough to keep them off national television five times. They were the hot team. ESPN said so, and who were we to argue? Some thought they could make a deep playoff run, even go to the Super Bowl with a few breaks.

It was all a cruel joke, of course, as the Browns wilted in the face of a tough early schedule, imploded at the quarterback position and were out of contention by early October.

Not saying the same is likely to happen to the Bengals. They actually have a quarterback in Carson Palmer who led them to the AFC North title last season and a better defense than anything the Browns have pieced together since returning to the league in 1999.

Assuming Palmer holds up, assuming the Terrell Owens experiment doesn’t blow up in their faces, sure, the Bengals look like they should be a playoff team again and inspire more folks to name their dogs “Who Dey.”
But while nobody has to tell a Bengals fan to prepare for the worst, sometimes it helps to give yourself a head start.

Just ask a Browns fan.

[color="#FF0000"][b]Contact this reporter at (937) 225-2408 or smcclelland@DaytonDailyNews.com[/b][/color][/quote]

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/cincinnati-bengals/browns-of-08-should-be-bengals-cautionary-tale-860332.html

I live in the Dayton area so I have been exposed to fat ass
Browns Fan Sean McDick. Every chance he gets he wants to put in a shot at the Bengals. Since 2003 the Bengals have not been the Bungals of the 90's. The Clowns are as bad as the Bengals ever were. Clowns fans only redemption was, well at the least the Bengals suck too. Those days are over! The fact is the Bengals will be in the playoffs and the Clowns will be going down to the wire for the first pick in the draft. Fuck the Clowns and there sorry ass fans!

WHO DEY!

The Browns of 08' had players step up for one year, but the Bengals had proven performers. The Browns really didn't have much of a defense, the Bengals have the 4th ranked defense. The Bengals are not just a flash, the franchise have been drafting well and doing timely free agent acquisitions. Not to mention some valuable veteran pickups of players with a lot to prove. The Browns didn't sweep one of the toughest divisions in the NFL....

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1281831893' post='905702']
i think they have enough decent players to surprise some teams... but their schedule is as brutal as ours almost...
[/quote]

I looked at their schedule & thought....maybe 4 wins.
The Browns could be so demoralized by the time they get to the final three games of the season, that they could be swept by their division.

[quote name='CougarQuest' timestamp='1281832290' post='905703']
I looked at their schedule & thought....maybe 4 wins.
The Browns could be so demoralized by the time they get to the final three games of the season, that they could be swept by their division.
[/quote]

I expect the stealers to be LAST in the AFCN this year with the browns third. The Bengals, of course, will be division champs and the rats will finish second. The Bengals will be the only playoff team from the AFCN--the rats are OVERRATED!

I think the Browns have the look of 6 wins...I also think that barring us tearing up the league and being a superbowl favorite I think we'll lose one game to the Browns.

I doesn't seem to matter if we're good and they're bad, or they're good and we're bad every time we play, its a close game that could go either way with a few breaks. I think we sweep the Steelers, split with the Ravens and split with the Browns. We SHOULD house them twice, but they'll steal one.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1281832618' post='905706']
I expect the stealers to be LAST in the AFCN this year with the browns third. The Bengals, of course, will be division champs and the rats will finish second. The Bengals will be the only playoff team from the AFCN--the rats are OVERRATED!
[/quote]

The Steelers get breaks on the home/away, so it appears to me that their schedule is actually easier than the Browns. I see at least 6 wins for the Steelers.

Archived