Best political cartoon I've seen in a while

CTBengalsFan

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='CTBengalsFan' timestamp='1309981354' post='999863']
[img]http://i.imgur.com/r3dBB.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

if only it was our freedom that made them hate us. They hate us because our corporations are free to do whateverthefuck they want to anyone in the world, anywhere. That and the bombs. Ohhhhh yeah, da bombs.

AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1309985890' post='999872']
if only it was our freedom that made them hate us. They hate us because our corporations are free to do whateverthefuck they want to anyone in the world, anywhere. That and the bombs. Ohhhhh yeah, da bombs.

AMERICA, FUCK YEAH!
[/quote]

If only hyperbole was a one-bladed sword.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Shrub saying "they hate us for our freedom" has bugged me ever since that tit said it. It was an appeal (and a lie) to simple-minded knuckle-draggers to explain away the hard realities we should have faced after 9/11.

Of course maybe he was being clever and what he really meant was "they hate us for the freedom our corporations enjoy to run roughshod over the people of any other country they want." And today, the corporations treat us no better than them. OK, we get treated slightly better at this point, but as soon as the EPA is dismantled it'll really get going.

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1310021329' post='999936']
I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Shrub saying "they hate us for our freedom" has bugged me ever since that tit said it. It was an appeal (and a lie) to simple-minded knuckle-draggers to explain away the hard realities we should have faced after 9/11.

Of course maybe he was being clever and what he really meant was "they hate us for the freedom our corporations enjoy to run roughshod over the people of any other country they want." And today, the corporations treat us no better than them. OK, we get treated slightly better at this point, but as soon as the EPA is dismantled it'll really get going.
[/quote]

And you really do not see the reciprocal hyperbole in what you are pushing? Life, and it's struggles, it's victories, it's failures, it's evolutions, are not as simple as "Fight Club" makes it out to be. The assumed entitlement that your ideas and views are inherently better and truer than someone else's has more to do with the reason why we have most of the unrest on this planet. So, yes. Keep trading the vitriolic rhetoric that your Beck/Olbermann clones serve to you as reality; I am certain that your "side" will drive home some superior, witty, snarky comment that ultimately proves how Hitlerish the person they don't like because that person doesn't believe in what they believe in, 100%. Yay, team. Yay, us.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1310042025' post='999950']
And you really do not see the reciprocal hyperbole in what you are pushing? Life, and it's struggles, it's victories, it's failures, it's evolutions, are not as simple as "Fight Club" makes it out to be. The assumed entitlement that your ideas and views are inherently better and truer than someone else's has more to do with the reason why we have most of the unrest on this planet. So, yes. Keep trading the vitriolic rhetoric that your Beck/Olbermann clones serve to you as reality; I am certain that your "side" will drive home some superior, witty, snarky comment that ultimately proves how Hitlerish the person they don't like because that person doesn't believe in what they believe in, 100%. Yay, team. Yay, us.
[/quote]

Have you even seen Team America: World Police? Cinematic genius. Any film that goes on about how sometimes dicks have to fuck assholes because pussies can't...well, that's just golden. I like using the movie's tag line when America does something that we shouldn't be cheering -- even though people are.

Despite that, I don't think I really hold a candle to Beck/Olberman when it comes to hyperbole, and like most people, I certainly like my ideas better than others', but it doesn't mean my mind is closed to others' ideas. However, if letting companies do whateverthefuck they want is what this "other side" (the side [i]I'm[/i] not on) is all about (and don't forget the bombs), then OK, I'm not on that side and their ideas are pure rubbish and always will be.

edit: but yeah, I like the snark.

Just to add to DC's post...

“The ideas of economists and political philosophers, both when they are right and when they are wrong, are more powerful than is commonly understood. [color="#FF0000"]Indeed the world is ruled by little else.[/color] Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist.” - John Maynard Keynes

[quote name='CincyInDC' timestamp='1310053583' post='999961']
Have you even seen Team America: World Police? Cinematic genius. Any film that goes on about how sometimes dicks have to fuck assholes because pussies can't...well, that's just golden. I like using the movie's tag line when America does something that we shouldn't be cheering -- even though people are.

Despite that, I don't think I really hold a candle to Beck/Olberman when it comes to hyperbole, and like most people, I certainly like my ideas better than others', but it doesn't mean my mind is closed to others' ideas. However, if letting companies do whateverthefuck they want is what this "other side" (the side [i]I'm[/i] not on) is all about (and don't forget the bombs), then OK, I'm not on that side and their ideas are pure rubbish and always will be.

edit: but yeah, I like the snark.
[/quote]

Do you -truly- believe that in this day and age, when the vast universe of humanity knows the smell 10 seconds after our president breaks wind, that there is going to be some immediate wasteland installed if some of the EPA regulations are loosened? Are you just going to ignore the billions upon billions of dollars, by and large rightly, spent and generated in the small, quiet cottage industry known as the Green Movement? There are people who live to do nothing else but to sift through millions and millions of tidbits of information, hoping to find scandal in every level of business, government, and celebrity. We now live in a world where public perception is able to topple governments in -days-; such behavior simply will not be tolerated in our rapidly diminishing national industries; oddly, an endangered species in this country.

Are the megacorporations benevolent entities, wanting only to usher humanity into the comfortable, luxurious future that we believe that is our birthright simply to see our smiling faces in payment? No. But they do not sit around, twirling their collective mustaches and laughing maniacally in their high-backed chairs. They need regulation like a mastiff needs a leash. But the leash doesn't always have to double as a choke chain. Sadly, it is much easier, more profitable, and very much cheaper in the court of public opinion to not run a company in this country. I have to believe there is wiggle room to make America a bit more viable to business and not eviscerating the gains that the EPA has helped enacted over the past 40 years. We, as a country, need the opportunity to offer jobs to hands, be they made to hold a mop or a laptop, and these megacorporations are the most readily able to provide them with a more promising air of job security, challenged only by the various levels of government.

But, you are correct, sir. It is much easier to mold yourself after movie lines and bumper stickers. So, please continue crying for the destruction of a symbiote organism in a global economy, while your polar opposite wearing the red state blinders cries for the gas prices of yesteryear and for Obama to provide his birth certificate. I am certain that the mind-numbingly loud rhetoric you spew will finally get through the thick skull shouting from the other side of your coin.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1310058209' post='999965']
Do you -truly- believe that in this day and age, when the vast universe of humanity knows the smell 10 seconds after our president breaks wind, that there is going to be some immediate wasteland installed if some of the EPA regulations are loosened? Are you just going to ignore the billions upon billions of dollars, by and large rightly, spent and generated in the small, quiet cottage industry known as the Green Movement? There are people who live to do nothing else but to sift through millions and millions of tidbits of information, hoping to find scandal in every level of business, government, and celebrity. We now live in a world where public perception is able to topple governments in -days-; such behavior simply will not be tolerated in our rapidly diminishing national industries; oddly, an endangered species in this country.

Are the megacorporations benevolent entities, wanting only to usher humanity into the comfortable, luxurious future that we believe that is our birthright simply to see our smiling faces in payment? No. But they do not sit around, twirling their collective mustaches and laughing maniacally in their high-backed chairs. They need regulation like a mastiff needs a leash. But the leash doesn't always have to double as a choke chain. Sadly, it is much easier, more profitable, and very much cheaper in the court of public opinion to not run a company in this country. I have to believe there is wiggle room to make America a bit more viable to business and not eviscerating the gains that the EPA has helped enacted over the past 40 years. We, as a country, need the opportunity to offer jobs to hands, be they made to hold a mop or a laptop, [color="#FF0000"]and these megacorporations are the most readily able to provide them with a more promising air of job security, challenged only by the various levels of government.[/color]

But, you are correct, sir. It is much easier to mold yourself after movie lines and bumper stickers. So, please continue crying for the destruction of a symbiote organism in a global economy, while your polar opposite wearing the red state blinders cries for the gas prices of yesteryear and for Obama to provide his birth certificate. I am certain that the mind-numbingly loud rhetoric you spew will finally get through the thick skull shouting from the other side of your coin.
[/quote]

Your going to have to do alot to convince me that the multinationals are a force for good and not just their self interests and that their self interests in turn will provide us jobs with a livable wage and not just jobs that have lesser and lesser wages and lesser and lesser benefits because the evidence points to the contrary. The evidence points to the fact that it's more profitable to send those jobs to China to pay 3rd world wages with 3rd world benefits to 3rd world (read none) regulations. You're going to have to do alot to convince me the invisible hand works. Perot was right about the giant sucking sound.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1310059278' post='999968']
Your going to have to do alot to convince me that the multinationals are a force for good and not just the their self interests and that their self interests in turn will provide us jobs with a livable wage and not just jobs that have lesser and lesser wages and lesser and lesser benefits because the evidence points to the contrary. The evidence points to the fact that it's more profitable to send those jobs to China to pay 3rd world wages with 3rd world benefits to 3rd world (read none) regulations. You're going to have to do alot to convince me the invisible hand works. Perot was right about the giant sucking sound.
[/quote]

I -NEVER- said they were a force for good. I offer they are only a force. Period. And your point about them moving to China is exactly my point. Why, if I were an owner of a large business/conglomeration, would I want to produce my product here? My company is lambasted for making a profit within legal means, viewed as a villain for obeying the letter, if not the spirit, of tax laws, providing my investors with an ever-improving portfolio, and offering jobs that may or may not jive with some peoples' views of entitlement versus their actual worth, while praying that a mistake, whether it is an accident, a broken law, be it through ignorance or malicious means, or a random act of God/Chaos, does not ruin the business plan for the next decade. How is it different that we, as employees, union or not, look out for our self-interest and then not expect our employers not to do the same? We need this to be a symbiotic relationship before every company realizes we are needing them alot more than they may need us as a workforce.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1310063419' post='999975']
I -NEVER- said they were a force for good. I offer they are only a force. Period. And your point about them moving to China is exactly my point. Why, if I were an owner of a large business/conglomeration, would I want to produce my product here? My company is lambasted for making a profit within legal means, viewed as a villain for obeying the letter, if not the spirit, of tax laws, providing my investors with an ever-improving portfolio, and offering jobs that may or may not jive with some peoples' views of entitlement versus their actual worth, while praying that a mistake, whether it is an accident, a broken law, be it through ignorance or malicious means, or a random act of God/Chaos, does not ruin the business plan for the next decade. How is it different that we, as employees, union or not, look out for our self-interest and then not expect our employers not to do the same? We need this to be a symbiotic relationship before every company realizes we are needing them alot more than they may need us as a workforce.
[/quote]

It is one thing for an employer to look out for his self interests in terms of keeping the company alive to employ, it is quite another to do it to appease shareholders for record profit at the expense of American jobs. Further I hardly think that having a livable wage is an "entitlement". I shed no tears, not even crocodile tears, for those who used their influence to change these laws to their benefit at the expense of the benefit of others, I shed no tears for those that would play this as a zero sum game, they have made an enemy of me and I will continue to seek that if this is a zero sum game, that they come out the losers.

[quote name='Xombie' timestamp='1310063419' post='999975']
I -NEVER- said they were a force for good. I offer they are only a force. Period. And your point about them moving to China is exactly my point. [b]Why, if I were an owner of a large business/conglomeration, would I want to produce my product here?[/b] My company is lambasted for making a profit within legal means, viewed as a villain for obeying the letter, if not the spirit, of tax laws, providing my investors with an ever-improving portfolio, and offering jobs that may or may not jive with some peoples' views of entitlement versus their actual worth, while praying that a mistake, whether it is an accident, a broken law, be it through ignorance or malicious means, or a random act of God/Chaos, does not ruin the business plan for the next decade. How is it different that we, as employees, union or not, look out for our self-interest and then not expect our employers not to do the same? We need this to be a symbiotic relationship before every company realizes we are needing them alot more than they may need us as a workforce.
[/quote]

I'd be fine with letting any conglomerate shift all their business overseas, so long as we tax the shit out of anything they import here. If they want to make billions off American people, then they need to operate under a regulatory system that has the American people's best interest in mind.

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on how the current regulatory model is designed for and efficacious in protecting the average american from predatory business models because it appears to me that many laws are written with the opposite in mind.

[quote]Do you -truly- believe that...there is going to be some immediate wasteland installed if some of the EPA regulations are loosened? Are you just going to ignore the billions upon billions of dollars, by and large rightly, spent and generated in the small, quiet cottage industry known as the Green Movement?[/quote]

We're what, 400ish days since the Deep Water Horizon explosion? Exxon just leaked 40,000ish gallons of oil into Yellowstone this week?

I'm sure someone with more knowledge could point out a litany of examples of small businesses that teeter on the edge collapse if a legitimate accident pushes them squarely into the EPA's cross-hairs. But at the same time we have monster corporations who post multi billion-dollar profits quarterly and we can't even get them to inspect their own equipment. The big guys are already taking advantage of the system and gaming it for their own benefit, if we loosen the belt to help out the little guys...lets just say I have a hard time imagining the big guys won't exploit that even further.

Archived