September callups question

JBandJoeyV

Does any other NL team in the playoff hunt (cards mainly, but also Philly, SF, etc) have as much of an advantage as we do when september rolls around.

We can call up Aroldis Chapman and Yonder Alonso. Two pretty stud prospects who are playing very well right now in AAA. Probably a few other guys we can call up as well.

Do the Cards or any other NL team have nearly the amount of ammunition waiting to be called up in September?

I will say this. If they are going to wait until the "September call ups" for Chapman, put him back in the Bats starting rotation. I don't know if this is still the case, but I think it used to be you had to be on the roster prior to the September call ups to be playoff eligible. If Chapman won't be playoff eligible, keep him starting if that is where they see him long term.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1282158012' post='907547']
I will say this. If they are going to wait until the "September call ups" for Chapman, put him back in the Bats starting rotation. I don't know if this is still the case, but I think it used to be you had to be on the roster prior to the September call ups to be playoff eligible. If Chapman won't be playoff eligible, keep him starting if that is where they see him long term.
[/quote]

I think they will call up Chapman before Sep 1 to allow him to be on the playoff roster and theyll probably send bray down till 9/1 if Chap keeps pitching the way he does.

But whether they are considered a sep call up or not does any other team have 2 or 3 sweet prospects that will be up in september like we do? (alonso, Chap, and maybe even Francisco)

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1282158012' post='907547']
[/quote]

fay said he'll be called up 9/1 and be playoff eligible. We've got two guys from the 40-man on the 60 day DL so they can be replaced anytime (even after 8/31) and their replacements will be playoff eligible.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1282264191' post='908018']
fay said he'll be called up 9/1 and be playoff eligible. We've got two guys from the 40-man on the 60 day DL so they can be replaced anytime (even after 8/31) and their replacements will be playoff eligible.
[/quote]

We havent been in this situation so long that I dont really know how all these rules work...

But it should be very interesting to see what they do for a postseason roster if we make it.

Id assume we would only need 4 starters, so at this point youd have to assume Arroyo and Cueto would be locks with Wood, Bailey, Volquez, and Leake the options for the other two. I think its possible you wouldnt see Leake on a postseason roster unless he pitches very well in relief.

If you have Chapman on the 25 man postseason roster youd have to take a guy that is currently on the roster off, I guess there could be where Leake and the other starter come in. Right now we have 6 starters (5 and Leake techinically) on the roster, probably carry 4 of them for the postseason then maybe bring up Chapman and Burton/Spring/Izzy for the postseason? I dont know, should be interesting though.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1282264469' post='908021']
We havent been in this situation so long that I dont really know how all these rules work...

But it should be very interesting to see what they do for a postseason roster if we make it.

Id assume we would only need 4 starters, so at this point youd have to assume Arroyo and Cueto would be locks with Wood, Bailey, Volquez, and Leake the options for the other two. I think its possible you wouldnt see Leake on a postseason roster unless he pitches very well in relief.

If you have Chapman on the 25 man postseason roster youd have to take a guy that is currently on the roster off, I guess there could be where Leake and the other starter come in. Right now we have 6 starters (5 and Leake techinically) on the roster, probably carry 4 of them for the postseason then maybe bring up Chapman and Burton/Spring/Izzy for the postseason? I dont know, should be interesting though.
[/quote]

If I understand it right, for Leake not to be on the postseason roster they'll have to send him down before August 31st so that he's not on the roster at that point.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1282264911' post='908024']
If I understand it right, for Leake not to be on the postseason roster they'll have to send him down before August 31st so that he's not on the roster at that point.
[/quote]

I dont think thats right though, but i could be wrong...cause there are 25 men on the playoff roster right? And if Chapman isnt up until 9/1 and can be on the playoff roster then someone from the 25 man roster on 8/31 would have to not be on the post season roster.

I think whenever we have to make the playoff roster we can pick 25 guys from 1) The 25 man roster on 8/31, 2) Guys on the disabled list on 8/31 or 3) guys suspended on 8/31...then we also for some reason get 2 exceptions due to some rule about 60 day DL guys or something.

So assuming we dont take anyone from the DL or suspended list we'll have to go with 23 of the 25 guys we have on the roster on 8/31, then two guys we can leave off and add guys from the minors (ie Chapman and probably another reliever).

Archived