Jimenez designated for assignment

CTA513

I saw this post over on RedZone, and thought you guys would want to know.

Heres a copy of what was posted:
[quote]REDS PROMOTE INFIELDER LUIS LOPEZ FROM LOUISVILLE

2B D’Angelo Jimenez Designated For Assignment

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today selected from Class AAA Louisville the contract of IF Luis Lopez and designated for assignment 2B D’Angelo Jimenez.

Lopez, 34, will be in uniform number 15 for tonight’s 7:10 p.m. game against the Cleveland Indians.

Lopez has spent the entire season at Louisville, where he hit .264 with 8 doubles, 1 HR and 9 RBI in 29 games. For the Bats he played in 23 games at shortstop and 2 games at second base.

Lopez has appeared in 704 Major League games with the Padres, Mets, Brewers and Orioles. His bio begins on page 120 of the media guide.

Jimenez, 27, this season for the Reds hit .229 with 5 RBI in 35 games and 23 starts.[/quote]

I havent found a link for it yet, but when I do ill post it up.

Heres a link to the Reds transactions.

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/transactions.jsp?c_id=cin"]http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...ns.jsp?c_id=cin[/url]

[quote]5/20/05  Designated infielder D'Angelo Jimenez for assignment and purchased the contract of infielder Luis Lopez from Triple-A Louisville. [/quote]

I didn't like jimenez, but i don't like this move at all, it doesn't make sense to me, because jimenez is better than luis lopez who will now be with the big club, and they still have to pay for D'angelo's contract. this stuns me. i wouldve been perfectly happy with a trade, but paying his contract just to leave? im not sure he was that bad.

[quote name='~mroby30~' date='May 20 2005, 10:34 PM']I didn't like jimenez, but i don't like this move at all, it doesn't make sense to me, because jimenez is better than luis lopez who will now be with the big club, and they still have to pay for D'angelo's contract. this stuns me. i wouldve been perfectly happy with a trade, but paying his contract just to leave? im not sure he was that bad.
[right][post="94783"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

he is on the trading block.. if he doesnt get a trade offer. THEN we pay his contract.... we dot have to yet. and lopez wont be starting.. your replacing an overpriced underacheiver "starter" with a underpaid "potentialed" rookie to get a chance, .... but it would suck to have to pay him off, but its less than 3 mil, dunn gets paid more than that for each called strike 3 he takes.

[quote name='~mroby30~' date='May 21 2005, 11:58 AM']yes, they do have to eat his salary, anyone that wants him, can take him for like 300,000 and the reds have to pay the rest of his salary.
[right][post="94880"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

[b]
"Unless the Reds find a trade for Jimenez, who hit just .229 with five RBIs in 35 games and 23 starts, they'll be saddled with his $2.8 million contract. "[/b]

[url="http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050520&content_id=1056785&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin"]reds.com[/url]

Archived