Big Ten Conference Alignment

Bengals1181

More:
[quote]The Big Ten will announce its much-anticipated, two six-team divisional setup for the 2011-12 season later Wednesday, with traditional football powers Ohio State and Michigan in opposing divisions and new member Nebraska aligned with the Wolverines.

Multiple sources told ESPN.com that the two divisions in the Big Ten will look like:
• Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern and Minnesota.
• And Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana and Illinois.

The Big Ten issued a press release saying it would announce its divisional alignment at 7 p.m. ET Wednesday. According to sources, the divisions were decided upon Monday.

According to multiple sources, the Big Ten wanted to preserve a number of traditional rivalries such as Michigan-Michigan State, Iowa-Minnesota, Purdue-Indiana and Indiana-Illinois.

The Big Ten is also expected to announce a consistent crossover game in football similar to Ohio State-Michigan that will be played each year. Expect to see longtime rivals Wisconsin and Minnesota playing every season. [/quote]
The article then prattles on about basketball.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1283364602' post='912479']
Splitting OSU and Michigan up...lame.

Its gonna be Ohio State, Penn State, Indiana, Illinois, Purde, and Wisconsin.

Then MIchigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, NWestern, and Minn.

Not a big fan, but whatever.
[/quote]

No surprise though. Very intriguing idea to have them in the conference championship game together. They can still play each other in the regular season too.

My guess for the annual locked-in cross-division pairings, based on the above being true:

Ohio State - Michigan (naturally)
Nebraska - Penn State (a fallout of OSU-UM, naturally)
Wisconsin - Minnesota (naturally)
Purdue - Northwestern (naturally)

the last two based solely on driving distance:
Michigan State - Indiana
Illinois - Iowa

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1283364602' post='912479']
Splitting OSU and Michigan up...lame.

Its gonna be Ohio State, Penn State, Indiana, Illinois, Purde, and Wisconsin.

Then MIchigan, Nebraska, Iowa, Michigan State, NWestern, and Minn.

Not a big fan, but whatever.
[/quote]

its really not a big deal splitting OSU and Michigan. They're still going to play each other the last week of every season.

Splitting them gives the rivalry the chance, if Michigan becomes relevant again, to still decide the Big Ten Championship.

Here are the complete 2011 and '12 Big Ten football schedules

[url="http://www.bigten.org/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/big10/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/fb-11-12-schedule-charts"]http://www.bigten.org/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/big10/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/fb-11-12-schedule-charts[/url]

I can't seem to find any citation as to the 6 permanent cross-over games, but the three that have been announced (OSU-Michigan, PSU-Nebraska, and Wisc-Minn) makes the rest kinda obvious when you look at the schedules:

Out-of-division opponents:
ILL: MIN NWW MIC
IND: IOW NWW MSU
PUR: IOW MIN MIC
PSU: NEB IOW NWW
OSU: NEB MSU MIC
WIS: NEB MIN MSU

Taking into account the 3 known games means Purdue plays Iowa (Minnesota taken by Wisconsin, Michigan taken by OSU), and Illnois plays Northwestern (Minnesota, Michigan... see Iowa). That leaves Indiana - Michigan State as the remaining schools:

Ohio State - Michigan
Penn State - Nebraska
Minnesota - Wisconsin
Purdue - Iowa
Illinois - Northwestern
Indiana - Michigan State

Had I stopped to look at my previous guess, it should've occurred to me that Illinois-Northwestern was much more "natural" than Purdue-Northwestern. That's where my previous guess fell flat... swap Purdue/Illinois and that's that.

Archived