'Canes hoping for payback against Buckeyes

oldschooler

[b][size="5"]'Canes hoping for payback against Buckeyes[/size][/b]

[b][size="4"]Measure of redemption possible in rematch of '02 title loss[/size][/b]

CORAL GABLES — Jonathan Vilma urged them to make sure they won this one. Vince Wilfork stressed the same thing. So did Ed Reed.

Pretty much everyone in the Hurricanes' family that stopped by campus this summer had something to say about the Ohio State game Sept. 11, cornerback Brandon Harris remembers.

The last former 'Canes player he talked to before training camp was Andre Johnson.

"Go get 'em for us," Johnson told him. "We owe [Ohio State] one."

Or as the current 'Canes see it, the 2010 'Canes owe one to the 2002 'Canes on Saturday.

"It's revenge time. Nobody's forgotten about that," sophomore defensive end Olivier Vernon said. "I feel like I was playing in that game."

The 2003 Fiesta Bowl has festered for Miami and its fans since that Jan. 3 night when a now notorious call allowed Ohio State to prevail 31-24 in two overtimes.

With Miami leading in the first overtime, cornerback Glenn Sharpe was flagged for interfering with Ohio State's Chris Gamble in the end zone on fourth-and-3 from the 5. For about three seconds — the moments between when the ball hit the turf and the flag did — the Hurricanes thought they'd won the 2002 national championship.

"A lot of people still have a sour taste in their mouth, and so do we. Even though we weren't here, we still watched those games," Harris said.

"[The 2002 players] still feel like we should have another national championship at the school. A lot of them, they're going to live their dreams through us this week. They realize they can't go out there and play them again, but we have the opportunity to take them down."

Fifth-year senior corner Ryan Hill was a teammate of Sharpe's as a freshman, so "I feel like I definitely have ties to that game."

Coach Randy Shannon, who was UM's defensive coordinator in 2002, said that game shouldn't matter to current 'Canes because they didn't play in it. Shannon contends he doesn't think about the loss.

"You can't change it," Shannon noted. "That's why I don't think about it, to be honest with you."

Former OSU running back Lydell Ross, who had nine carries for 17 yards that night, said he can understand the pain of Miami's program and its fans over that game.

As for some people's continued claims that OSU stole its first title in 32 years, "If that's what they want to think, they can take it to the grave with them," Ross said. "I'm a realist. I understand with a controversial call there's going to be mixed reviews. But it is what it is."

Ross added, "If we can beat them again, it'll definitely shut people up. And if we do it again next year down in Miami, I don't want to ever hear about that call again."

Should the Hurricanes win Saturday, would it really make the players from 2002 feel better about a national title lost almost a decade ago?

"It definitely would," former running back Quadtrine Hill said. "You come messing with the 'Canes, it's a lifelong grudge."

"After what happened in the national title game, it would mean something," quarterback Ken Dorsey said. "Yeah, it really would."

Dorsey said he especially wants Miami to win the rematch for that conglomerate of "less than cordial" OSU fans he encountered while playing for the Cleveland Browns from 2006 to 2008.

As for Sharpe, "I don't know if it can make up for it because what's done is done," he said Sunday. But he also noted, "I'm excited to see that game because those guys get a chance to avenge our loss against [OSU] in '02."

Sharpe doesn't want the current 'Canes to carry a burden for the 2002 'Canes, though.

"Don't try to go out there and play for me, man. I'm fine. I'm living my life," he said. "Go out there and play for yourself and your family."

Dorsey echoed Sharpe's sentiments.

"I don't want them to get caught up in having to win this game for anybody but themselves," Dorsey said. "This is a huge game for them personally and one I hope they will always remember."

[url="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/um-hurricanes/fl-um-ohio-state-0906-20100905,0,1332494.story"]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/um-hurricanes/fl-um-ohio-state-0906-20100905,0,1332494.story[/url]

Old, a while back you posted a picture of that PI call play from the endzone showing the ball in the air, the UM player grabbing Gamble, etc.

Do you remember that, and if so post it again?

I have a feeling I'll be needing it this week and would like to snag a copy...

[quote name='Elflocko' timestamp='1283783810' post='914938']
Old, a while back you posted a picture of that PI call play from the endzone showing the ball in the air, the UM player grabbing Gamble, etc.

Do you remember that, and if so post it again?

I have a feeling I'll be needing it this week and would like to snag a copy...
[/quote]

[img]http://www.robsts.com/shop/Poster.jpg[/img]

[url="http://www.robsts.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=3"]http://www.robsts.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=3[/url]

[url="http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Greatest-hits-Canes-Buckeyes-still-defined-by-?urn=ncaaf-268252"]http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Greatest-hits-Canes-Buckeyes-still-defined-by-?urn=ncaaf-268252[/url]

[quote]Dr. Saturday ShareretweetEmailWed Sep 08 08:56am PDT

Greatest hits: 'Canes-Buckeyes still defined by freak Fiesta flag
By Jim Weber
Jim Weber runs LostLettermen.com, devoted to keeping tabs on former players and other bits of nostalgia. Today he catches up with the decisive pass interference call in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, eight years later.

If you haven't seen the play countless times before, you will over the course of the next week leading into Miami's first visit to Ohio State in 33 years: The undefeated, top-ranked Hurricanes lead the undefeated, second-ranked Buckeyes, 24-17, in overtime of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. The BCS championship is on the line. OSU is down to its final chance, on 4th-and-3 from the 'Cane five-yard line.

Quarterback Craig Krenzel fires a pass in the direction of Chris Gamble, who's tussling in the front corner of the end zone with Miami corner Glenn Sharpe. When the ball falls incomplete, Sharpe turns to line judge Derick Bowers just a few feet away to see if a penalty flag will be thrown. When the flag stays in Bowers' pocket, Sharpe and the rest of the Hurricanes immediately begin celebrating their 35th consecutive victory and back-to-back national titles.

In the midst of the Miami bench emptying onto the field from the opposite sideline, Big 12 official Terry Porter tosses his flag from the back corner of the end zone for pass interference – approximately three to four seconds after the play ended. Later, Porter explained the delay by telling reporters "I replayed (the play) in my mind."

Given new life, Ohio State punched in a touchdown three plays later and went on to win the national title in the second OT, instantly turning "The Call" into one of the most controversial in college football history.

Nearly eight years later, with this weekend's showdown being billed as a kind of "revenge" game – despite the fact most of the current players couldn't watch the overtime because they had to be up early enough to catch the bus to middle school – there are two questions everyone is asking: "Was it the right call?" and "Whatever happened to that ref, anyway?"

Debating whether it was the correct call has proven more fruitless than debating "the chicken or the egg?"

Immediately after the penalty, Porter was flooded with a tidal wave of criticism. ABC's Dan Fouts blasted the penalty on-air; then-Miami defensive backs coach Mark Stoops said bluntly after the game, "There's not another official in the history of the game that would make that call." Columnists around the nation ripped Porter for deciding the national championship on a borderline call and waiting too long to throw the flag – none of them more vocal than Rick Reilly, who said Porter "choked" in Sports Illustrated.

Just when it appeared Porter would be forced to live in sporting infamy, in rode the cavalry. First, the National Association of Sports Officials (NASO) issued a press release arguing Porter's call was correct. The Big 12 and Big 10 also publicly backed Porter's decision to throw the flag, saying the actual infraction occurred near the line of scrimmage. Technically, in that case, it should have been called defensive holding, but it still would have given the Buckeyes a fresh set of downs.

Big 12 co-founder Donnie Duncan went so far as to state that Sharpe committed four infractions on the play. In 2007, "Referee" Magazine even called it one of the 18 greatest calls in sports history – although Miami fans certainly just saw the Big 12, Big Ten and magazine as entities defending their own. But eventually even writers started to change their tune.

Of course, this has only heightened debates on message boards, YouTube clips and comment sections of articles about Porter. Almost eight years later, the debate can still be summed up like this:

Ohio State fans: Sharpe clearly impeded Gamble’s progress multiple times — he mugged him, stole his wallet and tied his shoelaces together. That's a penalty, every time. In fact, Sharpe was guilty of holding and pass interference.

Miami fans: There's contact like that on every play – it's football. The delay on the call and fact the line judge didn't throw the flag shows it was a ticky-tack penalty that shouldn’t decide the national championship. Even Ohio State fans agree.

Was it the right call? It all depends on who you ask.

As for where Porter is now, that's much easier to answer. Now in his sixties, he resides in Stillwater, Okla., where he's currently a replay official for the Big 12 Conference – fitting since he admitted to replaying "The Call" in his mind before making the fateful decision to toss the flag. He also officiates Oklahoma high school basketball games and reportedly works as a food broker. Said lifelong friend and high school officiating partner Rick Bales: "He's like me: He's getting a little bit old, slowing down some and looking into retirement."

Porter couldn't be reached for comment, but has regularly declined interviews over the years, surfacing only to defend the call and insist he is at peace with his decision to throw the flag. That's good, because with a trip to the national title on the line in Columbus this Saturday, "The Call” is about to be debated mercilessly again and viewed on YouTube almost as many times as this guy. as it slowly evolves from "controversial" to "classic."[/quote]

7 years ago yeah...but OSU fans latch onto it for dear life. Interesting article nonetheless and pretty fair.

[quote name='jza10304' timestamp='1284246575' post='916917']
Good game Buckeyes...

Except for Special Teams.
[/quote]

There, fixed it.

That game should have been 36-10. Giving up 2 TD's on kick returns is inexcusable for a team that's supposed to be #2 in the nation.

I don't like sweating that much during a game...

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1284247637' post='916919']
It's time to put some starters on D on special teams. Or take the redshirt off Sabino. This cannot continue.

Nice game otherwise!
[/quote]

or even just some higher backups. Don't know how accurate it is, but I was listening to 610 out of Columbus during pre-game and they mentioned that roughly half of the special teamers are walk-ons.

The unit as a whole lacks speed. I'd like to see Tyler Moeller and Nathan Williams added to the kick coverage teams. Barnett too once he's healed.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1284310215' post='917125']
Not trying to be too big of a homer, but that game should really have been a 30 point game easily.

Settled for 6 FGs, and gave up 2 ST touchdowns.

We easily could have put up like 57 points yesterday on them.

Good win though, go bucks!
[/quote]
I don't know so much about "settling" for fg's as much as being "held" to those fg's. I thought our (Miami) defense played well given the average field position for OSU at one point (our 49). Offense put us in some holes early on.

Archived