Nice Job Graves.

Way to earn that paycheck. I'm sorry but can we send Graves packing like DeAngelo?
Along with weathers, mercker, webber and Wilson.

Their arms are dead.

I'll have to fire off a resume to Uncle Carl, i'd cost half as much and do twice the job that obrien has done.

Oh where have you gone Jimmy Bowden?

Guest BengalBacker
He Did.

Graves: 'I just stink'
Any chance for Reds win goes up in smoke as Indians score six in ninth
By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | What the Battle of Ohio indicated over the weekend is that bad hitting beats bad pitching — and beats it to a mushy pulp.

The Cleveland Indians are the feeblest-hitting team in the American League, last with a .237 batting average, even lower than the lowly Kansas City Royals.

Normally, they take bats to home plate for no apparent reason.

The Cincinnati Reds own the most hittable and beatable starting staff in the National League, if earned run average is the indictor. They are last in the league with a 5.69 ERA, and seem out of sorts and out of place standing on a rubber.

On Sunday afternoon in Great American Ball Park, the Tribe took target practice, pounding, pelting and pinging 16 hits in a 9-2 victory, enabling the Indians to win the series, two games to one.

For the Reds, on the Official Ugly Meter, one to 10, it was 131/2.

Even though the score was 3-2 going into the ninth, it was evident the Reds weren't going to win this one.

It became a certainty when Danny Graves arrived to give up five runs on four hits, with Ricky Stone adding another run to the six-run conflagration.

The six-run inning was more runs than Cleveland has scored in entire games 32 times this season.

That isn't all that got out of hand.

[b]When Graves came to the dugout and paced, a fan who could see into the dugout screamed at him. Graves swore back and flipped the proverbial bird.[/b]

Asked about it, Graves said, "That's not an issue. I don't concern myself with it. I addressed the fan issue a couple weeks ago and it got blown completely out of proportion."

And Graves got blown completely out of the water ... again.

Asked if he wondered about his immediate future as the club's closer, Graves said, "I'm not worried about losing my job or getting released. That's not my decision, that's up to the staff and management.

"I have 182 career saves and I know how to do this job," he added. "It has been a struggle for a while now and I can't figure it out. I have no answers. Too often lately my stuff is not there and it's no fun going out there and not being able to do the job."

Graves admits his velocity is down, has been for three years, from 92 to 93 miles an hour to 86 and 87 miles an hour.

"We have to evaluate, see if there is a flaw in my mechanics," he said. "Health-wise, I'm great and that's what baffles me. Is there a flaw in my delivery? Why is my velocity down? Maybe it's because I'm getting older."

Ramon Ortiz started for the Reds and while he held the Tribe to three runs, he was raked for 10 hits over 52/3 innings before he was forced out when he took a line drive off his head.

The ball, hit by Ronnie Belliard, smacked Ortiz under the left eye and a goose egg quickly formed, one of the few goose eggs Cincinnati pitchers have seen this year.

"He wanted to stay in, but he had to get ice on it right away because you could see it swelling," said manager Dave Miley.

At the time Cleveland led, 3-1.

"I saw the ball right into my hands but missed it," Ortiz said. "I wanted to pitch, but they said I had to get ice. It hit me hard in the face, but it didn't hurt. I was fine, other than I wondered for a minute, 'Oh, my, what happened?' We need some luck, nothing is going right ... no good luck."

Something good happened in the eighth, a shocker. Adam Dunn not only got a hit off a lefthander, he homered.

He was hitting .128 this season against lefthanders with two homers, two RBI and 20 strikeouts in 47 at-bats.

Against Cincinnati native Scott Sauerbeck, a lefty, Dunn reached the right field seats with his league-leading 13th homer to pull the Reds within 3-2.

In came Graves, up went the score.

"I'm trying to win, I just stink," Graves said.

There were no dissenting comments.

The Reds should do him and themselves a favor and cut him ala Jimmy Haynes and take the loss on the contract

Graves has burned his bridge with the fans and with him sucking as much as he does every outing is going to be a boo fest

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://photos1.blogger.com/img/123/1531/320/First%20Taliban%20suicide%20missile%20misses%20US.1.jpg[/img]

[color="red"]Get the season over already [/color]

The only reason Graves is still a closer is because once he's on the mound the game result is closed.

Jesus freaking wept. Not only are our starters sucking, offense sucking, errors everywhere, bullpen sucking, but now our own players are flipping the fans off.

Reds are so bad lately that they should be throwing their paychecks into the stands as compensation :(

VB

They can fire Don Gullet while they are at it. I dont get why some are so high on him, what the fuck has he ever done? How many Cy Young winners has he coached? How many 20 game winners? How many world series has he helped win? Gullet has never been a help to this team. I think the problems start with Linder, and go down from there. They are the new Bengals, absolutly no direction, no clue what the fucking plan is.

[quote name='big_dish' date='May 22 2005, 10:29 PM']They can fire Don Gullet while they are at it. I dont get why some are so high on him, what the fuck has he ever done? How many Cy Young winners has he coached? How many 20 game winners? How many world series has he helped win? Gullet has never been a help to this team. I think the problems start with Linder, and go down from there. [b]They are the new Bengals, absolutly no direction, no clue what the fucking plan is.[/b][right][post="95314"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
You meant the old Bengals. The new Bengals are good, unlike the Reds.
I am starting to lose some of my infinite patience with our baseball club. Nothing is going right, we are on the verge of a complete organizational collapse. Graves is the popular whipping boy, and he [i]does[/i] suck right now, especially relative to his salary, but the problems are everywhere. The whole team and management as well as ownership needs to sit back, take a deep, long breath and look in the mirror and decide what they're going to do. We don't have many options, unfortunately, because we still live in the hamstrung farm system that Marge Schott put into place during her tenure. I don't know what the answers are, but I know that what we're doing right now isn't working. I want Linder to lift up his Depends and bootstraps and make some CEO-type decisions...like actually increasing payroll for a valid reason!
I will never stop listening to or watching my Reds, but I'm not heading down to GABP to waste my hard-earned money any time soon either....they better do something, and yesterday...

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 22 2005, 11:40 PM']You meant the old Bengals.  The new Bengals are good, unlike the Reds.
I am starting to lose some of my infinite patience with our baseball club.  Nothing is going right, we are on the verge of a complete organizational collapse.  Graves is the popular whipping boy, and he [i]does[/i] suck right now, especially relative to his salary, but the problems are everywhere.  The whole team and management as well as ownership needs to sit back, take a deep, long breath and look in the mirror and decide what they're going to do.  We don't have many options, unfortunately, because we still live in the hamstrung farm system that Marge Schott put into place during her tenure.  I don't know what the answers are, but I know that what we're doing right now isn't working.  I want Linder to lift up his Depends and bootstraps and make some CEO-type decisions...like actually increasing payroll for a valid reason! 
I will never stop listening to or watching my Reds, but I'm not heading down to GABP to waste my hard-earned money any time soon either....they better do something, and yesterday...
[right][post="95319"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well said. I'll just add....

When everyone sucks, the manager usually takes the fall first. I don't think Miley is the problem, even though he leaves me scratching my head sometimes, but he does remind me somewhat of Dick LeBeau. Great guy. Everyone wants him to succeed, but at this point, heads need to roll and asses need to be kicked.

No one should feel safe on that team.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 22 2005, 11:46 PM']Well said. I'll just add....

When everyone sucks, the manager usually takes the fall first. I don't think Miley is the problem, even though he leaves me scratching my head sometimes, but he does remind me somewhat of Dick LeBeau. Great guy. Everyone wants him to succeed, but at this point, heads need to roll and asses need to be kicked.

No one should feel safe on that team.
[right][post="95321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

except ryan freel and wily mo.

and harang...

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='May 22 2005, 10:46 PM']Well said. I'll just add....

[b]No one should feel safe on that team.[/b]
[right][post="95321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Ah, you are a wise man.....
As much as I, like you, believe that little of this is directly Miley's fault, I think his days are numbered unless the ship gets righted now...like winning the series from the Nationals...we are in serious jeapordy of being one of the worst Reds teams to ever take the field statistically...and I actually had high hopes for division title contention this year...time to light up the old crack pipe again....

I'm glad they sent that bum packing. I'm just the voice of the people don't ya know.
Now they just need to send webber, weathers, and wilson to krogers as well.
TIME TO TRADE IN THE ROLLS DANNY BOY!!!

Bung put the crack pipe down! Down with dope, up with hope>>>!!!

[quote name='Bunghole' date='May 22 2005, 11:40 PM']You meant the old Bengals. 
[right][post="95319"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I meant the new, old Bengals. I figured that much would be inferred. Last year I went to 50+ games, this year I have not been to a single one. I have absolutly no plans on seeing one either. If this shit play keeps up, I wont go to one this year. I am tired of having shitty teams to root for in this city. I felt like my heart was ripped out every year for 13+ years with the Bengals, and the Reds have had 2 good seasons in the past 10 years (95, 99). I am sick of the shit. I stuck by the Bengals, but thats it. Baseball has fucked itself almost intentionally over the years, and now my team has screwed itself up even more than baseball. We have an owner who doesnt give a fuck about winning, even though he is older than granite, and is about to die and cant take his money with him to the big ballpark in the where ever the fuck dead people go. In the old times, you where buried with some money so you could pay the boatsman to cross the river (styx?), but now it doesnt matter, because who the fuck wants to cross this river and go to Kentucky? Spend some money Carl, you old bastard. The people of cinicnnati have provided you with everything you have, now give us something back. Philanthropy doesnt count.

Archived