Breaking News: Danny Graves

CTA513

REDS PROMOTE LHP RANDY KEISLER

RHP Danny Graves Designated For Assignment

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today selected from Class AAA Louisville the contract of LHP Randy Keisler and designated for assignment RHP Danny Graves.

Keisler will be in uniform number 57 for tonight’s 7:10 p.m. game against the Washington Nationals.

Keisler, 29, has spent the entire season at Louisville and went 3-2 with a 2.98 ERA and 1 save in 9 appearances, including 7 starts. He held opponents to a .235 batting average (48.1ip, 43h, 17r, 16er, 12bb, 41k, 6hr). He last pitched Friday at Buffalo, started and suffered the 4-2 Bats loss (6.2ip, 5h, 4er, 3bb, 3k, 1hr).

Keisler was named International League Pitcher of the Week for April 18-24 after going 1-0 with a 1.74 ERA in 2 starts (10.1ip, 10h, 2r, 2er, 5bb, 13k).

Graves, 31, this season for the Reds went 1-1 with a 7.76 ERA and 10 saves in 20 relief appearances. He posted an ERA of 11.00 in 10 appearances in May, including a 30.38 ERA in his last 3 games.

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/36.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/36.gif[/img]

[quote name='bengalrick' date='May 23 2005, 04:18 PM'] :o

:D

its about time... so whos the closer now: wagner?
[right][post="95537"][/post][/right][/quote]

On channel 12, Miley said it will be closer by committee.

It will probably be Wagner & Mercker.

[quote name='CTA513' date='May 23 2005, 09:30 PM']On channel 12, Miley said it will be closer by committee.

It will probably be Wagner & Mercker.
[right][post="95540"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

we should have a manager by commitee

Guest oldschooler
Best news I have heard since the 3-0 start ! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/36.gif[/img]

When he admitted that he sucks and flipped the fan off
after yesterdays loss...he burnt what little bit of a bridge
that was left...

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/41.gif[/img]

Guest Gonzoid
Graves was a symptom but not the entire problem. That person is Miley. Get a manager in there that's willing to kick ass and hold players accountable.

[quote name='Gonzoid' date='May 23 2005, 07:09 PM']Graves was a symptom but not the entire problem. That person is Miley. Get a manager in there that's willing to kick ass and hold players accountable.
[right][post="95570"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Releasing Graves and Jimenez isn't holding them accountable?
Miley lost confidence in Graves, and that's why he was released.
Jimenez apparently didn't try to get better and was a cancer in the locker room. Sean Casey said that he tried to reach out to Jimenez while he was on the team and Jimenez responded poorly. The quote from Casey was ...."he was mean to me. I wanted to put a fence around my locker and say keep that negativity away from me"....

There is no hope for this team this year! ditching Rotten Gravy was a good first move but there are lots of things that will still hold this organization down

Dan O'Brien is a terrible GM
Dave Miley is a terrible manager
This team has no MLB catcher! Larue sucks!
Eric Milton and Paul Wilson suck despite Miltons performance tonight!

If this teams plane crashed and they lost everyone it would dramitically improve the ballclub!

[quote name='Storm' date='May 24 2005, 02:51 AM']There is no hope for this team this year!    ditching Rotten Gravy was a good first move but there are lots of things that will still hold this organization down

Dan O'Brien is a terrible GM
Dave Miley is a terrible manager
This team has no MLB catcher!  Larue sucks!
Eric Milton and Paul Wilson suck despite Miltons performance tonight!
If this teams plane crashed and they lost everyone it would dramitically improve the ballclub!
[right][post="95613"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

oucH...

HAAA HAAA HAAA....
I like LaRue...but Graves always pissed me off...

I guess Wild-man Walker from WEBN will be happy,
Graves was the one that got him banned from the
locker room....

Ill be the devils advocate.

As big of a dick Graves has turned into and how bad he has played recently, he had 7 years hear that were the complete opposite and everone loved him. Im gonna try and get past this year because he really did a lot more good for this team than bad over the years. I think his frustration and attitude have come out of is deteriorating skills and poor performance and im not sure i can blame him.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='whodey319' date='May 23 2005, 11:31 PM']Ill be the devils advocate.

As big of a dick Graves has turned into and how bad he has played recently, he had 7 years hear that were the complete opposite and everone loved him.  Im gonna try and get past this year because he really did a lot more good for this team than bad over the years.  I think his frustration and attitude have come out of is deteriorating skills and poor performance and im not sure i can blame him.
[right][post="95642"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Good point, Graves was the best pitcher here for years, he should be frustrated with not only the way things are going here but how his career is going. He sees the same thing every year, I think this will be a blessing in disquise for Graves, he'll get picked up by a real team that is serious about winning, instead of a team who is content to play .500 ball. The Reds aren't going to win anything anytime soon, Graves might have saved his career by giving some jerk in the stands the bird.

Player Reaction:

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050524/SPT05/505240324/1035/SPT"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...240324/1035/SPT[/url]

Mike Tyson landed a big punch, and Steve Zouski hit the canvas in the third round. Zouski tried to rise from the floor, but he didn't make it on time, and he was counted out.

Tyson's domination in that 1986 match was playing on one of the TVs in the Reds clubhouse Monday after the players heard the news that closer Danny Graves had been designated for assignment.

Hardly anyone spoke, an eerie phenomenon in what's usually a lively pregame clubhouse.

By Graves' locker, the all-time Reds saves leader sat with Sean Casey, Eric Milton and Paul Wilson. They spoke in low voices, and they stared at the ground, at the Anna Kournikova calendar on the wall behind Graves' laptop computer, and back at the ground again.

The only noise came from one of the TVs where Tyson was destroying his opponent for the 19th win of his career.

The replay of the fight was apropos, because on Monday, Casey got to experience what Zouski felt nearly 20 years ago.

"This is just like getting hit in the head with a shovel," Casey said. "Guys loved Danny Graves. This will affect us negatively. I won't see Danny Graves coming in and closing out games or sitting at his locker or seeing him on the plane."

Similar sentiments were spoken throughout the clubhouse before Monday's 5-3 win against the Washington Nationals. The word that came to mind for most players was "shocking."

"It really is," Jacob Cruz said. "He's been a teammate of mine for two years, and he's one of the most-liked guys on the team. It's going to affect everybody in a different way."

For some, such a backup catcher Javier Valentin, Graves' departure was depressing and anxiety-inducing. Others, most notably Casey and Paul Wilson, felt anger.

As soon as Casey was finished paying his respects and departed from Graves' corner locker - his spot was filled by Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn and Jason LaRue, who watched as Graves packed his laptop - the media descended on him to ask for comment. The more he talked, the madder he became.

"I think it's wrong," Casey said. "He's a guy you try to find answers for. He's a guy who you check out his shoulder, because he's not going to tell you (if he's hurt). He's a gamer. He's going to take the ball and go pitch. I know the fans booed, but Gravey cares about the city, man. He's been here his whole career. He lives here. Believe me, he didn't like the boos as much as people didn't like booing him. He's not the problem here. Danny Graves isn't the problem.

"It's not his fault. We stink. It has nothing to do with Danny Graves. That's the frustrating part for me. It's a sad day for me. It just makes me sick. You give up on a guy like Danny Graves, and I just can't believe it."

Now, the Reds must believe this fact: The front office is willing to release veterans with multimillion dollar contracts - such as D'Angelo Jimenez and Graves - who aren't contributing. If that reality began to take shape when Jimenez was designated for assignment last week, it was certainly evident Monday.

"It's pretty crystal clear now," Cruz said. "We just haven't been getting it done. It's not one individual. The fact is, we have to look at ourselves and say that we haven't been getting it done. That goes for all of us. It's either produce or face the consequences."

Which make Valentin a little nervous. But that, he says, is how it should be.

"We have to play the game," Valentin said. "The game continues. It's not going to be easy. Anytime you come to the clubhouse and look in the corner, you won't see him. But it's baseball. It starts with D'Angelo and then Gravey. We're scared. If you don't do the job, you'd better do something to turn it around."

In Valentin's eyes, though, the Reds didn't just make a roster move. They also took away one of the clubhouse's key components. Especially to a player just joining the team, as was the case for Valentin last season.

"He said, 'Anything you need, let me know. We're going to be family here,' " Valentin said. "I've been here two years, and he helped me out. He gave me confidence. The way we feel in this clubhouse, it's like a family."

That sentiment probably is part of the reason Casey was so upset. That, and the fact he felt like he had just been sucker-punched in the gut.

"Right now," he said, "this is probably our lowest point since I've been a part of the Reds."

My opinion a REALLY REALLY STUPID MOVE for the Reds. Why not just send him to the minors for a bit and see if he can get back on track. If not just cut him later. Just doesn't make sense. And after hearing he reacted by giving the finger to a fan because of racist remarks being made, i feel bad for the guy.

Guest Bengal_Smoov
[quote name='Ben' date='May 24 2005, 10:04 AM']Player Reaction:

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050524/SPT05/505240324/1035/SPT"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...240324/1035/SPT[/url]

Mike Tyson landed a big punch, and Steve Zouski hit the canvas in the third round. Zouski tried to rise from the floor, but he didn't make it on time, and he was counted out.

Tyson's domination in that 1986 match was playing on one of the TVs in the Reds clubhouse Monday after the players heard the news that closer Danny Graves had been designated for assignment.

Hardly anyone spoke, an eerie phenomenon in what's usually a lively pregame clubhouse.

By Graves' locker, the all-time Reds saves leader sat with Sean Casey, Eric Milton and Paul Wilson. They spoke in low voices, and they stared at the ground, at the Anna Kournikova calendar on the wall behind Graves' laptop computer, and back at the ground again.

The only noise came from one of the TVs where Tyson was destroying his opponent for the 19th win of his career.

The replay of the fight was apropos, because on Monday, Casey got to experience what Zouski felt nearly 20 years ago.

"[b]This is just like getting hit in the head with a shovel," Casey said. "Guys loved Danny Graves. This will affect us negatively[/b]. I won't see Danny Graves coming in and closing out games or sitting at his locker or seeing him on the plane."

Similar sentiments were spoken throughout the clubhouse before Monday's 5-3 win against the Washington Nationals. The word that came to mind for most players was "shocking."

"It really is," Jacob Cruz said. "He's been a teammate of mine for two years, and he's one of the most-liked guys on the team. It's going to affect everybody in a different way."

For some, such a backup catcher Javier Valentin, Graves' departure was depressing and anxiety-inducing. Others, most notably Casey and Paul Wilson, felt anger.

As soon as Casey was finished paying his respects and departed from Graves' corner locker - his spot was filled by Austin Kearns, Adam Dunn and Jason LaRue, who watched as Graves packed his laptop - the media descended on him to ask for comment. The more he talked, the madder he became.

"I think it's wrong," Casey said. "He's a guy you try to find answers for. He's a guy who you check out his shoulder, because he's not going to tell you (if he's hurt). He's a gamer. He's going to take the ball and go pitch. I know the fans booed, but Gravey cares about the city, man. He's been here his whole career. He lives here. Believe me, he didn't like the boos as much as people didn't like booing him. He's not the problem here. Danny Graves isn't the problem.

"It's not his fault. We stink. It has nothing to do with Danny Graves. That's the frustrating part for me. It's a sad day for me. It just makes me sick. You give up on a guy like Danny Graves, and I just can't believe it."

Now, the Reds must believe this fact: The front office is willing to release veterans with multimillion dollar contracts - such as D'Angelo Jimenez and Graves - who aren't contributing. If that reality began to take shape when Jimenez was designated for assignment last week, it was certainly evident Monday.

"It's pretty crystal clear now," Cruz said. "We just haven't been getting it done. It's not one individual. The fact is, we have to look at ourselves and say that we haven't been getting it done. That goes for all of us. It's either produce or face the consequences."

Which make Valentin a little nervous. But that, he says, is how it should be.

"We have to play the game," Valentin said. "The game continues. It's not going to be easy. Anytime you come to the clubhouse and look in the corner, you won't see him. But it's baseball. It starts with D'Angelo and then Gravey. We're scared. If you don't do the job, you'd better do something to turn it around."

In Valentin's eyes, though, the Reds didn't just make a roster move. They also took away one of the clubhouse's key components. Especially to a player just joining the team, as was the case for Valentin last season.

"He said, 'Anything you need, let me know. We're going to be family here,' " Valentin said. "I've been here two years, and he helped me out. He gave me confidence. The way we feel in this clubhouse, it's like a family."

That sentiment probably is part of the reason Casey was so upset. That, and the fact he felt like he had just been sucker-punched in the gut.

"Right now," he said, "this is probably our lowest point since I've been a part of the Reds."
[right][post="95693"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I'm guess management didn't consult with the team leaders before they made this move. Yes Graves was struggling and he lost control for a brief moment and disrespected fans who were booing him. His reaction was over the top, but not more excessive than what anyone else would do in similar situation, you guys think Graves didn't know he's been stinking up the joint lately. Graves was our best pitcher, that's kinda sad, but management needs understand why it came down to this. If management would have fielded a better team then maybe they would be winning some games and instead of everyone being frustrated that their losing. Losing isn't good and the Reds have been doing a lot of that lately, for the past 3 seasons actually. The team hasn't made any drastic moves to get better and that's got to be frustrating for talent guys who aren't getting any younger and want to WIN in Cincy. Graves wasn't some mid-tier FA who never made an effort to fit in, he was the longest tenured Reds pitcher and ace of the bullpen who was struggling. To give up on him after this incident shows that management has lost it's patience, this a Steinbrenner move, imo. Now what do they do, they didn't trade him for a young prospect or solve any problems they have with their pitchers and they created a huge rift between players and management, are the 2000 Reds the Bengals of the 90's?

[quote name='Pdub#1' date='May 24 2005, 12:35 PM']My opinion a REALLY REALLY STUPID MOVE for the Reds. Why not just send him to the minors for a bit and see if he can get back on track. If not just cut him later. Just doesn't make sense. And after hearing he reacted by giving the finger to a fan because of racist remarks being made, i feel bad for the guy.
[right][post="95700"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You can't always just send a guy to the minor leagues. He is been in the league for too long and has no options. In order to get him to the minors, the Reds would first have to put him on waivers. Players do not normally clear waivers because other teams will pick them up.

By re-assigning him, the Reds have so many days to work out a trade. But I'm not sure what happens when the timeline occurs.

Guest bengalrick
i don't agree smoov... he USED to be our best pitcher, but he hasn't been for a while now... his fastballs were topping out in the mid 80's... we were paying this guy millions upon millions of dollars (starter $) and he wouldn't even be my setup guy right now...

we needed to shake up some people, and graves is tops on that list... we have merker and wagner, who are both better closers right now... i would be much more pissed if we just kept throwing him out there, and losing games late...

and there isn't anyone worth talking about, that we could have traded him for right now... my guess is he's hurt in some way, and if not, he is burnt out and probably will never be close to being as effective as he used to be...

Guest Gonzoid
I wish folks would get off the tip that it was Graves giving the finger that led to him getting cut. It wasn't. It was his performance. "Blown Saves" Graves was losing his touch. The evidence was there from the beginning of the season.

I'll revise my opinion as to who really should go. Maybe I was hard on Miley but I just don't think this guy has any fire. And Miley has only been here 2-3 years. The one consistent has been Gullet. I think there is where the problem is.

[quote name='Gonzoid' date='May 24 2005, 07:00 PM']I wish folks would get off the tip that it was Graves giving the finger that led to him getting cut. It wasn't. It was his performance. "Blown Saves" Graves was losing his touch. The evidence was there from the beginning of the season.

I'll revise my opinion as to who really should go. Maybe I was hard on Miley but I just don't think this guy has any fire. And Miley has only been here 2-3 years. The one consistent has been Gullet. I think there is where the problem is.
[right][post="95729"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I've been hearing rumors that Lindner who was at the game actually made the decision to cut his sorry ass because of his actions

Just rumors though

Archived