Breaking News: Danny Graves

CTA513

[quote name='Pdub#1' date='May 24 2005, 11:35 AM']My opinion a REALLY REALLY STUPID MOVE for the Reds. Why not just send him to the minors for a bit and see if he can get back on track. If not just cut him later. Just doesn't make sense. And after hearing he reacted by giving the finger to a fan because of racist remarks being made, i feel bad for the guy.
[right][post="95700"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

He was designated for assignment. They can offer to send him to the minors and he has the right to refuse.

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='whodey319' date='May 23 2005, 11:31 PM']Ill be the devils advocate.

As big of a dick Graves has turned into and how bad he has played recently, he had 7 years hear that were the complete opposite and everone loved him.  Im gonna try and get past this year because he really did a lot more good for this team than bad over the years.  I think his frustration and attitude have come out of is deteriorating skills and poor performance and im not sure i can blame him.
[right][post="95642"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The deteriorating skills and poor performance all started when he volunteered to be in the starting rotation.

He was once one of the fans favorite players in Cincinnati.

Guest Gonzoid
[quote name='Storm' date='May 24 2005, 03:58 PM']I've been hearing rumors that Lindner who was at the game actually made the decision to cut his sorry ass because of his actions[right][post="95791"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
But what's more embarassing, Graves flipping the bird at some fan or Ryan Freel driving drunk? The latter is much more a risk to others than the former.

[quote name='Gonzoid' date='May 24 2005, 08:04 PM']But what's more embarassing, Graves flipping the bird at some fan or Ryan Freel driving drunk? The latter is much more a risk to others than the former.
[right][post="95878"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

and one was outside the ballpark away from the fans and the team and the uniform. if it werent for the overblown media.. none of us would even know. sadly a DUI doesnt soil your name as a player or team anymore, although maybe it should, fact given, graves has disrespected the team, fans, players, and the "company" that is the reds.

if you got a DUI at work.. would you get fired? no

if you flipped off a customer or client, would you get fired? yes

it seems pretty logical to me actually.

[quote name='GoBengals' date='May 24 2005, 11:27 PM']and one was outside the ballpark away from the fans and the team and the uniform. if it werent for the overblown media.. none of us would even know. sadly a DUI doesnt soil your name as a player or team anymore, although maybe it should, fact given, graves has disrespected the team, fans, players, and the "company" that is the reds.

if you got a DUI at work.. would you get fired? no

if you flipped off a customer or client, would you get fired? yes

it seems pretty logical to me actually.
[right][post="95947"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I would like to work where you work! Cuz I know that I would get fired for a DUI! They made that very clear before I was hired 5 years ago.

[quote name='mschutte369' date='May 24 2005, 11:44 PM']I would like to work where you work! Cuz I know that I would get fired for a DUI! They made that very clear before I was hired 5 years ago.
[right][post="95971"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

how would they even know?

i can miss promotions for it, if you get a dui it prevents promotion for 3 years where i work, but not firing. jesus there wouldnt be anyone left...

where do you work that they pry into your personal life? unless of course you are a DRIVER of some sort.. i could see the issue there.

Guest BengalBacker
I have never in my life booed my team. I always thought that would do more harm than good. Pro athletes know that some people do though. They have to be able to deal with it.

When Graves made the comment about it making them feel small when the hometown fans booed, even though what he said was true, he never should have said it. He should have said something like, we aren't getting it done right now and I hope we can turn it around and give the fans a reason to cheer instead of boo. Instead he came off sounding like people have no right to voice their displeasure, and in a way, blaming the fans for his suckiness. Saying shit like that is always going to backfire. It made people boo him that much more.

If he had been smarter about dealing with it before it escalated to the point of him flipping somebody off, he would still have a job. He should have offered to go to the minors and work things out, or asked for more medical testing or something. He was sucking as a pitcher, and he should have acted more like he recognized it.

I always liked him, but you can't both suck, and piss off the fans and expect to keep your job as a pro athlete. You can do one or the other, but not both.

Archived