Reds could sneak up on people this October

Bengal Migration

[quote]By J.P. Ricciardi
ESPN
Archive
The Cincinnati Reds are getting ever-so-close to officially securing a postseason berth, with their magic number now at four. Though the Reds have hit some bumps so far this September -- they are only 9-11 this month -- it would take a collapse of epic proportions and perfection from the second-place Cardinals for them not to clinch the NL Central. People might think that the Reds are the least-threatening postseason team, but once the playoffs start, everything that's happened throughout the course of the year goes right out the window. If anybody is taking any team lightly come playoff time, shame on them.

Both defensively and at the plate, the Reds are fine. Ultimately I think their recent lull is a byproduct of them seeing that finish line in front of them and trying too hard. Once they reach the playoffs, everyone will take a deep breath and just play baseball. The biggest question will be how their pitchers set the tone early on in the series.

The Reds match up with everybody that they could potentially play in the first round -- and right now, the San Francisco Giants, San Diego Padres, Colorado Rockies and Atlanta Braves are the likeliest possibilities. Cincinnati's pitching staff lacks a No. 1, knockout-punch type of guy, but it has a deep rotation in that it has a variety of different ways to come at batters. Aroldis Chapman helped strengthen the back end of the bullpen with his blazing fastball, while 40-year-old Arthur Rhodes has been holding down his relief role with a 2.05 ERA. Closer Francisco Cordero has been a little shaky, but October could be a completely different story for him.

The only glaring problem with the Reds' pitching is that the rotation isn't the same as what the Philadelphia Phillies and Giants can trot out. The top ends of those rotations are extremely above-average pitchers. Still, that doesn't mean that Bronson Arroyo can't go out there in a short series, have two great starts and really set the tempo for how the Reds play.

All the Cincinnati starters, other than Arroyo, will be in uncharted waters this postseason. So his leadership and success on the mound are very important. He brings playoff experience to the table and while I don't know how much that will help him, I know for sure that it can't hurt.

From an offensive standpoint, Cincinnati has some really powerful bats -- Joey Votto, Scott Rolen, Jay Bruce -- that could be dangerous in the playoffs. I'd put the Reds' lineup right behind the Phillies' in a rank of NL team hitting. And they have guys with postseason experience -- Orlando Cabrera, Rolen, Ramon Hernandez. Of course, if history has told us anything about the playoffs, it's that a lesser star could go 7-for-14 and the guy who was tearing the cover off the ball all year long could go 2-for-20.

Unpredictability is the theme of the MLB postseason. While it's hard to think the Reds have what it takes to knock off the Phillies, expect them to do well in the first round of the playoffs and continue surprising people.

J.P. Ricciardi is the former general manager of the Toronto Blue Jays and is an analyst for "Baseball Tonight."[/quote]
http://espn.go.com/mlb/notebook/_/page/bbtn100922/baseball-tonight-clubhouse

Getting the 2nd seed is HUGE. It would guarantee both home field in the first round and also guarantee we dont have to play Philly in the first round.

Find a way to win that and maybe philly gets upset in the NLDS and we would have homefield for the entire playoffs (NL won the allstar game).

It really is hard to tell what this team will do in the playoffs, if Volquez goes out and pitches like he did yesterday we can beat anyone, if he loses control and walks a lot of guys and only lasts 3 innings we could lose to anyone.

With everything so close its hard to tell what the matchups will be, but at this time next week we should have a better idea who we might face.

[b][url="http://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][color="#0a0501"]LanceMcAlister[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] it appears Reds are #3 seed..due to losing H-H to #2 Giants. Braves are 4th as WC. So #1 Phils would get Reds.
[url="http://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister/status/25437909655"]2 minutes ago[/url] via web

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1285362217' post='922185']
[b][url="http://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister"][color="#0a0501"]LanceMcAlister[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] it appears Reds are #3 seed..due to losing H-H to #2 Giants. Braves are 4th as WC. So #1 Phils would get Reds.
[url="http://twitter.com/LanceMcAlister/status/25437909655"]2 minutes ago[/url] via web
[/quote]

SD took over the wildcard spot last night with us losing so at the moment we would get the Giants and the Phillies get the Padres.

I think it's a sealed deal that the Reds will play the Phillies in the first round. The Reds will clinch tonight and will be on cruise control getting starters some rest. The Phillies have clinched and will do the same. Sand Diego and San Fran will battle it out til the end, but Atlanta has to play the Marlins and then the resting Phillies. They will end up with the best record of the wild card teams. Which in turn starts the playoffs with Reds-Phillies. Thoughts?

[quote name='cincybengalz' timestamp='1285675271' post='923846']
I think it's a sealed deal that the Reds will play the Phillies in the first round. The Reds will clinch tonight and will be on cruise control getting starters some rest. The Phillies have clinched and will do the same. Sand Diego and San Fran will battle it out til the end, but Atlanta has to play the Marlins and then the resting Phillies. They will end up with the best record of the wild card teams. Which in turn starts the playoffs with Reds-Phillies. Thoughts?
[/quote]

If we get the 2 seed we will play the braves.

[quote name='cincybengalz' timestamp='1285675271' post='923846']
[/quote]

It is FAR from a sealed deal. 1. The Braves could miss the playoffs. 2. The reds could get the 2nd seed.

Either of those 2 things happen and we wont play the Phillies.

Even if we do, I aint scurred. We can beat that team. Yeah I said it.

Guys... The Phils will be sitting their starters and that will probably guarantee the Braves a sweep this weekend. The Pads and Giants will battle it out for the division. Either of those teams WILL have an extra loss than the Braves no matter what. The only games that will change this are the next two games between Florida and the Braves.

The Reds will likely rest their starters as well, ESPECIALLY if they are facing the Phils in round 1.

The probability of the teams facing each other are very high right now.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Lobsters aren't "scurred" of a boiling pot of water either.... The outcome is still the same as they are still getting dropped in it though ;o).

[quote name='cincybengalz' timestamp='1285711033' post='924040']
Guys... The Phils will be sitting their starters and that will probably guarantee the Braves a sweep this weekend. The Pads and Giants will battle it out for the division. Either of those teams WILL have an extra loss than the Braves no matter what. The only games that will change this are the next two games between Florida and the Braves.

The Reds will likely rest their starters as well, ESPECIALLY if they are facing the Phils in round 1.

The probability of the teams facing each other are very high right now.

That's all I'm trying to say.

Lobsters aren't "scurred" of a boiling pot of water either.... The outcome is still the same as they are still getting dropped in it though ;o).
[/quote]

You dont know much about baseball if you think resting starters guarantees a sweep. All it takes is a pitcher throwing a gem (any major leauge pitcher can) and they can win no matter who is in their starting lineup.

And the reds arent going to rest all their starters every game, most the starters will play and they have some capable backups and capable pitching and they are playing two lesser teams. The reds could very easily win 4 of the 6 and grab the number 2 spot.

I think you are assuming way too much over the next week.

We'll see. You might be right on the Reds, but I believe the Phillies will be throwing out bullpen pitchers against the Braves and backup position players. Anything can happen, but the odds are against it. Those west teams have absolutely nothing locked up and are hungry to keep winning where the Reds just have a seed to play for. Do you think the Reds care who they play in the NLDS? I think not. They will care more about their team being fresh to throw their best out at whoever they play.

[quote name='cincybengalz' timestamp='1285724533' post='924149']
OK.. Thought I'd get some good discussion here. Guess I was wrong. Good luck in the playoffs. Back to the Bengals forum now.
[/quote]

Nothing to discuss really.

Your team is in and looks dominant.

My team isn't in yet and has been looking bad of late.

Still doesn't mean I don't hate the Phillies and want the Reds to beat them.

[b]What homefield advantage?
[/b]From ESPN Radio
Since Wild Card format began in '95..team with homefield in opening round: 31-29.
Since LCS began in 1969....team with homefield: 39-41.

[url="http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html"]http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html[/url]

Archived