Reds NLDS Game Thread!

JBandJoeyV

I figure we can let the regular season thread go, even though it brought us many
joyous moments and our first playoff season in 15 years. Maybe someone should nominate
it for the GB HOF?

And ill leave the Fuck Philly thread for bashing on the phillies.

But this will be the thread to talk about the game and matchups and lineups and stuff like that.

Pitching matchups

Game 1 Wednesday 5:07 in Philadelphia

Edinson Volquez vs Roy Halladay

Game 2 Friday 6:07 in Philadelphia

Bronson Arroyo vs Roy Oswalt

Game 3 Sunday TBD in Cincinnati

Cole Hamels vs Johnny Cueto

Really doesnt seem like we are overmatched in too many of those games, just kinda depends
how everyone pitches.

Game 1 is huge in my opinion, need Edinson to be in top form and we have a chance.

Hopefully can score 3-4 runs on halladay and volquez can limit them to 1-2 runs over
7 innings or so.

I'm coming out to Cincy as long as I can find out the damn time for the game on Sunday. I don't want to drive 10 hours to see two half games. I sure hope we get the later game on Sunday. What's the chances of them moving the Bengals game? If I recall correctly, didn't they do that in 1990 for the Bengals-Falcons game because the Reds were in the WS?

[quote name='cincybengalz' timestamp='1286232670' post='926772']
I'm coming out to Cincy as long as I can find out the damn time for the game on Sunday. I don't want to drive 10 hours to see two half games. I sure hope we get the later game on Sunday. What's the chances of them moving the Bengals game? If I recall correctly, didn't they do that in 1990 for the Bengals-Falcons game because the Reds were in the WS?
[/quote]

I think there's a 0% chance of the Bengals being moved. NFL doesn't move their games for others

[b]Playoff start times
[/b]Date Match-Up (ALL GAMES ON TBS) Time (ET/Site Time)
[b]Wed., October 6th[/b]
Texas Rangers @ Tampa Bay Rays, ALDS Game 1 1:37 p.m.
[b]Cincinnati Reds @ Philadelphia Phillies, NLDS Game 1, 5:07 p.m.[/b]
New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins, ALDS Game 1, 8:37 p.m./7:37 p.m.
[b]Thurs., October 7th [/b]
Texas Rangers @ Tampa Bay Rays, ALDS Game 2, 2:37 p.m.
New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins, ALDS Game 2, 6:07 p.m./5:07 p.m.
Atlanta Braves @ San Francisco Giants, NLDS Game 1, 9:37 p.m./6:37 p.m.
[b]Fri., October 8th[/b]
[b]Cincinnati Reds @ Philadelphia Phillies, NLDS Game 2, 6:07 p.m.[/b]
Atlanta Braves @ San Francisco Giants, NLDS Game 2, 9:37 p.m./6:37 p.m.
[b]Sat., October 9th[/b]
Tampa Bay Rays @ Texas Rangers, ALDS Game 3 5:07 p.m./4:07 p.m.
Minnesota Twins @ New York Yankees, ALDS Game 3, 8:37 p.m.

[b][url="http://twitter.com/apjoekay"][color="#0a0501"]apjoekay[/color][/url][/b] [url=""] [/url] [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Reds"][color="#0a0501"]#Reds[/color][/url] will play game 3 vs [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Phillies"][color="#0a0501"]#Phillies[/color][/url] at Great American Ball Park on Sunday at either 7:07 p.m. or 8:07 p.m.
[url="http://twitter.com/apjoekay/status/26484836210"]9 minutes ago[/url] via [url="http://www.tweetdeck.com/"]TweetDeck[/url]

Phillies are playing some great, great, ball. They're without a doubt the best team in the NL. Great pitching, great hitting, and some great defense.

Hopefully we can shock the world and start playing the best ball of the season when it counts. Hope we can get some great outings from all 3 of our guys and some great relief out of Wood and Aroldis. Very excited for tomorrow night and also the future.

I read an interesting article on Fangraphs about strategy for the series especially with volquez.

The writer essentially said that Dusty should tell Volquez he is only gonna bat once unless we put a bunch of runs on the board, so pretty much tell him he is pitching 5 innings max. Let Volquez use maximum effort on every pitch without having to worry about saving themselves for the later innings. We have a very deep bullpen and we have a schedule that allows us to give our guys a lot of rest since we dont play back to back games till sunday/monday.

I kinda like the strategy if Volquez does max effort for 5 innings and can pitch 5 scoreless innings or maybe gives up 1 run, I think we easily have the bullpen strength to finish the last 4 innings. Use a combo of Bray/Ondrusek/Wood for the 6th inning and Chapman/Rhodes/Masset/Cordero for 7-9. If Volquez knows he doesnt have to go deep into the game maybe he will pitch better and more dominanting for the 5 innings he will pitch.

Just an idea I read which I thought was a pretty good thought.

The one good thing you have going for you in game one is Volquez. To echo the sentiments of the MLB network crew, the Phillies batters suck against pitchers they are not familiar with. Their plate discipline goes out the window and they tend to take less pitches. You would think they would want to do some scouting but they tend to go opposite. So you might see this kid go deep into the game vs. giving him the hook early. The only way I see him getting the early hook is if they pound him. Plus Dusty loves a starting pitcher to death (of his arm).

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1286327235' post='927144']
I read an interesting article on Fangraphs about strategy for the series especially with volquez.

The writer essentially said that Dusty should tell Volquez he is only gonna bat once unless we put a bunch of runs on the board, so pretty much tell him he is pitching 5 innings max. Let Volquez use maximum effort on every pitch without having to worry about saving themselves for the later innings. We have a very deep bullpen and we have a schedule that allows us to give our guys a lot of rest since we dont play back to back games till sunday/monday.

I kinda like the strategy if Volquez does max effort for 5 innings and can pitch 5 scoreless innings or maybe gives up 1 run, I think we easily have the bullpen strength to finish the last 4 innings. Use a combo of Bray/Ondrusek/Wood for the 6th inning and Chapman/Rhodes/Masset/Cordero for 7-9. If Volquez knows he doesnt have to go deep into the game maybe he will pitch better and more dominanting for the 5 innings he will pitch.

Just an idea I read which I thought was a pretty good thought.
[/quote]

The problem with that is, when Edinson gets too hyped up his control goes out the window. I think trying to pitch with "maximum effort" might have a similar result. I'd rather see him do what Cueto did and back off a little and have better control.

[quote name='cincybengalz' timestamp='1286357177' post='927208']
The one good thing you have going for you in game one is Volquez. To echo the sentiments of the MLB network crew, the Phillies batters suck against pitchers they are not familiar with. Their plate discipline goes out the window and they tend to take less pitches. You would think they would want to do some scouting but they tend to go opposite. So you might see this kid go deep into the game vs. giving him the hook early. [b]The only way I see him getting the early hook is if they pound him. Plus Dusty loves a starting pitcher to death (of his arm).[/b]
[/quote]

that notion is so played out.

Final roster spot goes to Francisco, Edmonds is not on. That's a big blow to the [url="http://twitter.com/search?q=%23Reds"][color="#2276bb"]#Reds[/color][/url].
[url="http://twitter.com/johnfayman/status/26556314292"]18 minutes ago[/url] via [url="http://twitterrific.com/"]Twitterrific[/url]

Francisco gets the last roster spot, no Edmonds
Posted by jfay October 6th, 2010, 10:40 am

Juan Francisco is on the playoff roster, not Jim Edmonds. Edmonds hit yesterday in the cages and ran lightly. The Reds waited until this morning to make the call.

That’s a big blow to the Reds. Francisco is a big talent with great power. But he is a free swinger — not the type to give you a quality at-bat in a late-inning, pinch-hitting situation.

I will not have an update on Edmonds until about 2:30. There is a possibility he could be added if the Reds made it to the next round.

Here is the roster:

The pitchers: Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto, Francisco Cordero, Arthur Rhodes, Nick Masset, Aroldis Chapman, Logan Ondrusek, Bill Bray, Homer Bailey and Travis Wood.

The positions player: Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Orlando Cabrera, Scott Rolen, Jay Bruce, Drew Stubbs, Jonny Gomes, Ramon Hernandez, Ryan Hanigan, Chris Heisey, Laynce Nix, Miguel Cairo, Paul Janish and Francisco.

[quote name='The Scales' timestamp='1286384937' post='927303']
Ouch to Aaron Harang.

Does he get a ring if they win it all?

Anyway... Congrats and Enjoyment to All Reds Fans.
[/quote]

Not really an ouch... both he and everyone else knew there was no chance of him being on the roster.

Archived