Good Season Reds

JBandJoeyV

It was a great season, lots of fun memories. Very nice to be able to enjoy watching baseball
into October.

We will be back next year, this team is so young and solid, now that theyve got a wiff
of postseason experience they'll try even harder to get back next year.

I really think next years team could be awesome. Really not too many weaknesses I can think
of right off the bat besides LF and SS.

Ill have a lot more to post later, but Im at work.

Ready for April though!

Good season, shitty postseason.

At least now we have the "haven't been to the Playoffs in 15 years" off our backs.
Now, like the Bengals, have to get that "haven't won a Playoff game in years" off our backs.

And I am more optimistic about this team's future than I have been in quite sometime.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1286806271' post='929594']
Good season, shitty postseason.

At least now we have the "haven't been to the Playoffs in 15 years" off our backs.
Now, like the Bengals, have to get that "haven't won a Playoff game in years" off our backs.

[b]And I am more optimistic about this team's future than I have been in quite sometime.[/b]
[/quote]

How can you not be?

Heres a list of young pitchers we have that should be pretty damn good next year..

Volquez
Cueto
Bailey
Leake
Wood
Chapman
Ondrusek
Bray
Smith
Masset
Lecure (was very good in long relief late in the year)

Not to mention Arroyo to anchor things down.

Then you got Votto Stubbs and Bruce who are gonna just kill pitchers next year.
Votto and Bruce if healthy will both bat over .300 with 30 homers and 100 Rbis next year.
Stubbs will be around .260-.275 with 20-25 homers.

Phillips will do his thing.

Catchers Ramon and Hanny were one of, if not the best C tandem in the NL, with Devin
Mesocaro waiting in the wings who could be our best catcher in YEARS.

Rolen not too sure what I think about him right now.

Really our only glaring weaknesses are LF and SS. I think you need to address one of them
not necessarily both. Id be fine with Janish if we have a solid LF or Id be fine with heisey
if we had a solid hitting and fielding SS.

I think they should try trading Coco free up some space, then try to trade alonso to get
a solid LF that can bat in the middle of the order and this team could be very very
good next year.

Cant wait.

For the first time in a LONG time, it was fun to be a Reds fan again!

As good as the year was, I think this coming offseason is one of the most important this team has had in a while.

The #1 priority has to be locking up Votto long term.

I know I want to retain Bronson for this year, but I'm not sure I'm worried about him long term. The young arms that are here, or on the cusp are the best this team has had since the late 50s, and maybe ever.

Anyone know Ramon and Orlando's contract status? If they are already here next year, that's fine, but I'm not worried about either long term. I think Janish is a gold glove caliber SS right now, and as long as he can do that, any offense he can provide is a bonus. Hannigan is a solid rotational catcher, and I think Mesoraco will be a stud and soon. I might want Ramon for 1 more year, but not past that.

Obviously we are in good shape at 1B in the immediate future. If we can lock up Votto I would not be opposed to packaging Yonder and one of the young pitchers for an every day LF with some pop, or perhaps a great OBP and some speed. Stubbs has too much power to be a lead off hitter. I like Laynce, Johnny and Heisey, and I think they are great as backups/pinch hitters, but, as much as I love the energy Gomes plays with, I'm not sure I want him to be my every day LF.

I would send Drew Stubbs to winter ball with 2 missions:
1. Become a better bunter
2. Work on the ball over your head. Although he got a lot better at that after we got Edmonds. I wouldn't mind seeing him work with Eric Davis either.

In the pen, I'd give serious thought to making Masset the closer. I don't know how much trade value Coco has, but if he can be traded, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even for minimal return, just to get his salary off the books.

Speaking of which, Bye bye Aaron. You were great in 2006 and 2007, and thank you for those years, but good luck with your next team (unless it's in the NLC). :)

If we can keep the core of this team together for a few years I think a championship is within the next few years.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1286824215' post='929792']
For the first time in a LONG time, it was fun to be a Reds fan again!

As good as the year was, I think this coming offseason is one of the most important this team has had in a while.

The #1 priority has to be locking up Votto long term.

I know I want to retain Bronson for this year, but I'm not sure I'm worried about him long term. The young arms that are here, or on the cusp are the best this team has had since the late 50s, and maybe ever.

Anyone know Ramon and Orlando's contract status? If they are already here next year, that's fine, but I'm not worried about either long term. I think Janish is a gold glove caliber SS right now, and as long as he can do that, any offense he can provide is a bonus. Hannigan is a solid rotational catcher, and I think Mesoraco will be a stud and soon. I might want Ramon for 1 more year, but not past that.

Obviously we are in good shape at 1B in the immediate future. If we can lock up Votto I would not be opposed to packaging Yonder and one of the young pitchers for an every day LF with some pop, or perhaps a great OBP and some speed. Stubbs has too much power to be a lead off hitter. I like Laynce, Johnny and Heisey, and I think they are great as backups/pinch hitters, but, as much as I love the energy Gomes plays with, I'm not sure I want him to be my every day LF.

I would send Drew Stubbs to winter ball with 2 missions:
1. Become a better bunter
2. Work on the ball over your head. Although he got a lot better at that after we got Edmonds. I wouldn't mind seeing him work with Eric Davis either.

In the pen, I'd give serious thought to making Masset the closer. I don't know how much trade value Coco has, but if he can be traded, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Even for minimal return, just to get his salary off the books.

Speaking of which, Bye bye Aaron. You were great in 2006 and 2007, and thank you for those years, but good luck with your next team (unless it's in the NLC). :)

If we can keep the core of this team together for a few years I think a championship is within the next few years.
[/quote]

Couldnt have said it better myself. Agree with everything.

I dont think Stubbs would be a bad leadoff hitter though if he can get his average up
a little bit. But I also wouldnt mind him batting 6th.

So it pretty much depends on the LF situation...if we sign one with speed that can bat
1 that would be great. If we can get one with pop and can bat him in the 4-5 spot that
would be fine too.

I would like

1. Stubbs
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. LF with pop that we trade for
5. Bruce
6. Rolen
7. Mez/hanny/Ramon
8. Janish

Or if we get a LF with speed put him leadoff and Stubbs in the 5-6 range. Maybe even 2.

I really wont be surprised though when Bruce and Votto just dominate next year. I really think
both guys will hit over .300 with 30 homers and 100 rbis if healthy. Hell bruce ended up
at .281 this year and that was with some really bad stretches. As he gets better those stretches
wont be as long and we could easily add 10 to 20 points to his BA.

Bash brothers Votto and Bruce, righties beware.

Archived