Expanded playoffs for 2012?

BengalRep85-9

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1288116918' post='934867']
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5728656

I don't think it's a bad idea, currently only 8 of 30 teams make the playoffs which is the least of the major sports.
[/quote]

What are they going to do, play until Thanksgiving? Have the WS at a neutral warm weather site like the SB? (Note, I have not rwad the article.)

Personally, I like it the way it is now. Actually, I would prefer 4 divisions and only division winners get in, but I'll take what they have now.

I know I don't make money off of MLB, but I prefer the "purity" (what little there is left of it) of the MLB post season to the money grabbing.

I might be persuaded to change my mind if baseball went to a revenue sharing arrangement like the NFL.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1288121795' post='934894']
What are they going to do, play until Thanksgiving? Have the WS at a neutral warm weather site like the SB? (Note, I have not rwad the article.)

[b]Personally, I like it the way it is now. Actually, I would prefer 4 divisions and only division winners get in, but I'll take what they have now.[/b]
I know I don't make money off of MLB, but I prefer the "purity" (what little there is left of it) of the MLB post season to the money grabbing.

I might be persuaded to change my mind if baseball went to a revenue sharing arrangement like the NFL.
[/quote]

No offense, but I think thats an awful idea. Wildcards are a necessity.

It would be completely ridiculous if you had 4 divisions and the division winners ended up with
like 100 wins, 90 wins, 88 wins, and 85 wins, and then the team in the division with 100 wins
another team gets 99 wins but didnt make it because there are no wildcards, even though they
were the second best team in the NL or all of baseball would be crazy.

At least 1 wildcard is a MUST.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1288122390' post='934896']
The players want a trade off of less regular season games I believe, so the season wouldn't last any longer than it already does if this goes through.
[/quote]

Fewer regular season games means less money for small market teams. Like I said, without revenue sharing it's a bad idea.

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1288123173' post='934904']
No offense, but I think thats an awful idea. Wildcards are a necessity.

It would be completely ridiculous if you had 4 divisions and the division winners ended up with
like 100 wins, 90 wins, 88 wins, and 85 wins, and then the team in the division with 100 wins
another team gets 99 wins but didnt make it because there are no wildcards, even though they
were the second best team in the NL or all of baseball would be crazy.

At least 1 wildcard is a MUST.
[/quote]

We'll have to agree to disagree. Call me old school, but my thinking is win the division make the playoffs.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1288141678' post='934982']
We'll have to agree to disagree. Call me old school, but my thinking is win the division make the playoffs.
[/quote]

There have been a bunch of teams to either go to the WS or win it as a wildcard team.

Those teams deserve to have won the world series just as much as any other team.

Do you think there shouldnt be a wildcard in football either?

[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1288375393' post='935517']
There have been a bunch of teams to either go to the WS or win it as a wildcard team.

Those teams deserve to have won the world series just as much as any other team.

[/quote]

It wouldn't bother me terribly if there weren't. But I really just don't want another NHL or NBA where there are so many wild card teams that teams with losing records get in. I grew up on baseball with 2 divisions an LCS and a WS.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='CJandTO' timestamp='1288375393' post='935517']
[/quote]
I'll take that one:

In a sixteen game season where you only play one-half of the teams in your conference, I absolutely think that a wild card is a necessity.

In a season that is ten times longer, where you play all of the teams in your league many times, no.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1288122390' post='934896']
The players want a trade off of less regular season games I believe, so the season wouldn't last any longer than it already does if this goes through.
[/quote]

thats a good idea... baseball is painfully long...eliminating meaningless games with meaningfull games for more teams seems like a good idea...

basebal lstadiums for crap teams are completely empty by seasons end anyway..

honestly they should cut it down to 120-130 games and move everything up earlier by a month.. playoffs in september....

baseball games shouldnt be getting snowed out...

then the nfl should start the season in october, and run through january..playoffs in feb, SB in march...

we need to eliminate some down months in sports...i still care more about preseason football than i do coming down to the wire baseball games..

I wouldn't mind a return to the 1980s with more scheduled double headers. Do the ever schedule them anymore? It seems the only time you get them now is a makeup game.
That way you could still play 162 games and get the season over with sooner.

• 4 weeks later...
i realize this thread may be dead but my idea is to add 1 more wildcard team to each league.

Then the 2 wildcard teams play in a one game play-off. One and done. The rest of the postseason stays the same.

What this does is keeps more teams in the playoff hunt deeper into the regular season and it also makes winning the division much more valuable. Take the AL-east last year with the yankees and Rays. They both knew they were going to make the playoffs with a week left in the season. Imagine how much more desperate they would have been to win the division if the wildcard teams had to play a single elimination game?

The season is only a day or 2 longer and it also rewards the division winners with a chance for them to set up there rotations.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1292529066' post='951337']
I wouldn't mind a return to the 1980s with more scheduled double headers. Do the ever schedule them anymore? It seems the only time you get them now is a makeup game.
That way you could still play 162 games and get the season over with sooner.
[/quote]

They do not schedule double headers any more.. They are reserved for makeup games only, and most clubs lean towards opting for losing a day off instead.

The players and coaches hate double headers... It makes for a terribly long day of work, and is hell on a pitching staff.. Especially if even one of the games goes into extra innings.

Archived