*** MONEY SAVING AND BARGAIN SHOPPING TIPS ***

GoBengals

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1306842079' post='995404']
I just bought a 250GB external hard drive on Friday. Can't even imagine what I'd do with 1TB, let alone 2.
[/quote]

must not be storing much media probably...

movies are 2-6gb for HD, i have about 55GB of music, and any photoshoot, sports or wifes weddings and photo shoots for whomever are typically 4-16gb of pictures...

it ads up fast

my laptop now has 1TB drive, time capsule has 500gb, and i have 2x 500gb external drives and now the 2tb drive.. i have about 3 total TB of free space for now..

[quote name='GoBengals' timestamp='1306911421' post='995518']
must not be storing much media probably...

movies are 2-6gb for HD, i have about 55GB of music, and any photoshoot, sports or wifes weddings and photo shoots for whomever are typically 4-16gb of pictures...

it ads up fast

my laptop now has 1TB drive, time capsule has 500gb, and i have 2x 500gb external drives and now the 2tb drive.. i have about 3 total TB of free space for now..
[/quote]

yea I don't do movies and such.

I actually did get it for media. I have about 30GB of pictures on my computer at the moment. Then some music. I also have A LOT of musics on disks that I'd like to centralize into one place.

Plus the game files from you are now like 1GB each and that adds up. :P

250GB will still be plenty for me though.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Paul' timestamp='1299013932' post='974132']
Lowes is offering a tax refund special if buy a gift card for a minimum of $500 to a maximum of $4000 you get 10% of the original amount added back on March 18.
[/quote]

Just to kind of piggy back this...

If you go to the post office and ask of a "moving kit" or "change of address packet" (they'll suggest doing it online, tell them no - you want to fill out the form). The packet has several coupons in it, one of which is a Lowe's 10% ANYTHING in the store.

And, Home Depot will honor it.

Could get your gift card, getting 10% added to it for whatever amount you buy, then when it comes time to purchase take a 10% off coupon (and this is good on sale priced items too) and you're buying power is a lot better. I spend about $45,000 last year completely remodeling my house I bought and when I went to the post office I asked them for a packet and he asked how many I wanted. I left there with about 30. And, used them all. Bet you I saved at least $2000-2500 overall from Lowes and/or Home Depot.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1308138079' post='997333']

If you go to the post office and ask of a "moving kit" or "change of address packet" (they'll suggest doing it online, tell them no - you want to fill out the form). The packet has several coupons in it, one of which is a Lowe's 10% ANYTHING in the store.

Could get your gift card, getting 10% added to it for whatever amount you buy, then when it comes time to purchase take a 10% off coupon (and this is good on sale priced items too) and you're buying power is a lot better. I spend about $45,000 last year completely remodeling my house I bought and when I went to the post office I asked them for a packet and he asked how many I wanted. I left there with about 30. And, used them all. Bet you I saved at least $2000-2500 overall from Lowes and/or Home Depot.
[/quote]

how sure are you that Home Depot will honor it? I'm about to drop about $1000 there today.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' timestamp='1308138079' post='997333']

[/quote]

thanks for the tip man! You saved me $125 this morning. I"m also going to go get another one for tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1308142244' post='997349']
how sure are you that Home Depot will honor it? I'm about to drop about $1000 there today.
[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1308178113' post='997441']
thanks for the tip man! You saved me $125 this morning. I"m also going to go get another one for tomorrow.
[/quote]

Sorry I didn't see this sooner... glad I could help.

Yeah - I'm POSITIVE. The coupons as you get them from the post office are dated for like 3 or 6 months out... you can't go get em and keep them for a year or 2 and expect to use them but if you get one or a few close to when you intend to need them they'll definitely save some jack.

That 10% is on top of any sales pricing, etc. that you might find while you're there. I saved a BOATLOAD of money when I remodeled my house last year using these coupons between Lowe's and HD... HD already has a hot key programmed to honor the Lowe's coupon. You show it to them, the cashier knows exactly what it is, hits a button and about 5 seconds after showing it to them you're getting the discount no questions asked.

• 1 month later...
Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, Lowe's, and Home Depot offer 10% discount to military cardholders (retired, active duty, and reserves). Krispy Kreme donuts will give you 50% off. Damn that is a very bad thing, its just good that Krispy Kreme is far enough away that I only go there once a month. However, it makes you very popular at work.

Most of the distillery's in Bullitt County and Nelson County will give out free samples. However, you must consume them at the plant unless you are related to one of the Master Distillers. Then you can get significantly more... Also makes you popular at work and tailgates.

Teachers get discounts at almost every bookstore.

Free rentals at Redbox with just signing up for a free account. Also get free rentals from people that post them on the internet. Hardly ever pay for movies anymore.

In regards to Lowes, you can open a commercial account and save an additional 10% on top of the initial 10% military discount. It costs nothing but what you put into the account (kinda like a debit card). I only put a little under 25 dollars and bought over 8000 dollars (including installation) worth of roofing, fixtures, electrical parts, plumbing, etc... saved roughly 1500 to 1600 dollars with almost 20 percent off. ...or as someone else mentioned, you can use the 10% off on the change of address package with the 10% military discount. Don't try to use three (Commercial, Change of address, and Military) at once. You can do two but they seem to have a problem with three...

• 1 month later...
[quote name='SINcinnati513' timestamp='1293085351' post='953077']
Anyone clip coupons?

www.grocerygame.com
This site pairs manufacturer and store coupons and tells you when the best time is to use it to get the best deals. I save 50-60% all the time at Kroger and Meijer on my whole bill. It's a bit tedious organizing the coupons but it is well worth it you save tons and tons of money. They have a free trial just to check it out. It cost's 10 bucks to subscribe to a store's list every 3 months and an additional 5 for each store. Well worth the money though.

www.cincysavers.com
Kind of like grocerygame where they tell you when and where to use your coupons but it is free. Not as complete of lists but they sometimes catch things that the grocery game doesn't. They also sell gift certificates to restaurants and other businesses. They usually sell $50 certificates for $25 but on Tuesdays they discount select certificates. I got four 25$ gift certificates to Ryan's Tavern in Hamilton for $30. Recently went to Mr Sushi and got $50 worth of food for $25.

www.restaurant.com
They sell discounted gift certificates to restaurants everywhere. They do promos all the time where you can get 70 to 90% off of their certificates. They work differently. It's more like a coupon. For example, the certificate will be worth 25 off if you spend 35. But these coupon/certificates can be bought for about 2 bucks with the promos.
[/quote]

I have bought stuff from cincy savers. restaurants one is not that great. I have noticed that the restrictions on when you can use them is a very small window. also, i bought a $50 voucher and ended up getting 2 $25 and they had to be used at different times.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
My wife just started up a store on Etsy selling handmade, custom jewelry. Great gifts for loved ones or for yourself. 15% off sale for the holidays + priority shipping if you use the code HOLIDAY15.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Who Dey Hannukah!

[url="http://www.retrodogdesigns.etsy.com"]http://www.retrodogdesigns.etsy.com[/url]

[img]http://img2.etsystatic.com/iusb_760x100.9118742.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Montana Bengal' timestamp='1330098245' post='1098697']Looking at both (ed and refurb) actually...just wondering if you grabbed discounted giftcards and used those.

And - we may be making a road trip down your way to pick up a newer car soon.[/quote]

Nice. If you do let me know!

• 1 year later...

I highly recommend getting a Sam's Club membership if you have the means.  We've had ours for a little over 2 months, and we've already saved $154 on things we buy elsewhere on a weekly basis.  Well worth the $45 year long membership (plus they gave us a $20 gift card and $17 in food at signup).  

And btw, those are based on Walmart prices, so if you're shopping at meijer or kroger (which typically costs $1 more than Walmart for the same items), then you'd be saving even more.

I highly recommend getting a Sam's Club membership if you have the means.  We've had ours for a little over 2 months, and we've already saved $154 on things we buy elsewhere on a weekly basis.  Well worth the $45 year long membership (plus they gave us a $20 gift card and $17 in food at signup).  

And btw, those are based on Walmart prices, so if you're shopping at meijer or kroger (which typically costs $1 more than Walmart for the same items), then you'd be saving even more.

holy smokes.  I just got $70 worth of Fandango (movie) gift certificates at Sams for under $30. :o  I know they do a surcharge, but the savings well offset that.

that deal was so insane I ended up going back for 2 more.  

So for $90 I got $180 in movie tickets that NEVER expire.

I also got 3 free movie tickets that, depending on whether you go to a matinee or evening movie, are worth $5-$12 each.  Those are good until March 31st.

So about $200 worth of movie tickets for $90.  Then anywhere from I figured about $20-$30 in Fandango fees depending on how many tickets it covers ($1.25 charge per ticket).  Looking at AT LEAST an $80 savings overall.

$200 sounds like a lot, but heck I'll go through $50 of that this weekend.

And I've now saved $250 in 3 months with a $45 Sam's Club Membership. :)

The cost we save in just buying our dog food from Sam's saves us over the cost of membership.  Don't always think the savings in meat prices is better than elsewhere.  Seafood prices are pretty good.  It still pays to shop around and look at the ads for the deals.  For instance, Kroger will have deals that allow you to get free items with no additional purchase, such as drinks or bread.  (clip the digital coupons from Kroger to get these deals)